• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can souls be divided and combined?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
More or less, allow me to re-phrase:

When our life ends and our bodies cease to be alive is it possible that the spirit (or whatever you want to call it) may be combined with other spirits to produce new spirits or be divided into many spirits - as well as it being possible for it to go straight into a new body without anything happening to it?

Basically: assuming they normally go straight into a new body, is it possible that after one dies that one's spirit may join with another person's sprit or get broken up into different people?

It's me. It's going over my head so no biggie.

Take back my other post. I assume each individual spirit goes onto the next body without being a combination of prior ones...since each person is unique (have their own molecules) when they die, they go into a new body on their own. We are all in our own spirit-ual state of being or unique. So, it's impossible to combine spirits say John and Jane to make a new one Bob. John would go go into a new body and Jane another depending on their spiritual maturity rather than needing to combine to another spirit to make a new one alive.

If I jak* that up, no big deal. Hope that helps.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
A soul is an individual unit of consciousness.

My question: Can such a unit of consciousness be divided into (for instance) two separate consciousnesses, or combined with other consciousnesses into a single, greater consciousness?

I believe this happens all the time and is a feature of how reincarnation works.

Any thoughts?

Thoughts? I have only one half of it.

Ciao

- viole

InvestigateTruth

My question: Can such a unit of consciousness be divided into (for instance) two separate consciousnesses, or combined with other consciousnesses into a single, greater consciousness?

I believe this happens all the time and is a feature of how reincarnation works.

Any thoughts?
First one must prove that, there is indeed such a thing called soul. If this is just a personal belief, without proof, then, anyone can make additional assumptions or imaginations about it.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
In my version of Hinduism it couldn't be divided.
But in traditional, philosophical Hinduism, the multifarious individual consciousnesses we observe in the 'material world' are illusions. There exists only a single, unified sea of consciousness permeating the universe.
The ultimate goal of Hinduism, in fact, is merger with this unity or, more accurately, the realization that your apparent individuality has never been anything more than a dream.

Souls:
As universal gravitation causes matter eventually to accrete into suns and planets, "souls" grow together over lifetimes, merging and growing in consciousness, eventually merging into unity with the cosmic soul, as a drop of water merges into the ocean.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
No matter where you go there you are!

My soul is one individual unit.

If we all merged into one soul that would be chaos, and id be clawing to get out on my own again!

Etritonakin

Any thoughts?

From a biblical perspective... It actually says we (and even animals) ARE living souls -but we HAVE a spirit in us which allows for understanding, (personality) etc. (that which returns to God -stored/asleep, but unaware until resurrection.)

Basically -it is our programming/software -which may later be placed in another body (a "glorious" spirit body when resurrected -or human body in some cases).

By creating man, etc., God (all-inclusive) essentially logically separated parts of himself in what I describe as a multiple personality ORDER -giving those parts independent decision-making power and identity.

The fact that multiple personality DISORDER occurs shows that one identity can be divided into more (some have apparently even done so purposefully).

John the Baptist (if I remember correctly) was sent "in the spirit and power of Elijah" -but was technically not the specific person "Elijah the Tishbite/the prophet.

The second mention in page order of the spirit of God was God, by his spirit, instantaneously imparting knowledge and talents in craftsmanship -similar to the learning programs in "The Matrix" (Given the many biblical references in those movies, that may be where they got the idea) -though that does not include personality, etc.

Logically, anything which exists might potentially be reproduced and/or coupled/mixed with something else (but such things are usually better left to God -as we usually make a mess of things due to relative ignorance, willingness to do evil, etc)

The spirit in man can also be coupled with God's spirit/holy spirit/spirit of God -which is defined as a "spirit of power, love and of a sound mind". It is first with one -then in one after repentance, baptism, laying in of hands (and God's approval that these conditions have been properly met, of course) -and imparts "gifts" as God sees fit.

One of the gifts of God's spirit is "knowing of spirits" or "distinguishing between spirits".
Satan is called "the prince of the power of the air" who works in/through the sons of disobedience -and other angelic/demonic beings also have the power to affect our spirits.

God's spirit-among other things -allows one to be aware -to rule their own spirit and essentially defend their will and identity from spiritual influence.

The integrity of individual identities is important to God's plan -so combining them, etc., isn't a goal and would not be good -but adding things to an individual identity can be an awesome thing (such as an improved and invulnerable body allowing access to the entire creation and the ability to have dominion over it/subdue it, various gifts and talents, etc.)

Last edited:

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
No matter where you go there you are!

My soul is one individual unit.

If we all merged into one soul that would be chaos, and id be clawing to get out on my own again!
If you merged into one soul, what part would be clawing to get out? What sort of "I" would remain?
Individual souls are our subjective realities. But they're only real while we remain in our subjective dreams. Objectively, they're all part of a unity

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
If you merged into one soul, what part would be clawing to get out? What sort of "I" would remain?
Individual souls are our subjective realities. But they're only real while we remain in our subjective dreams. Objectively, they're all part of a unity

What unity is that?

Is that Brahman or something.

If we all our a unity, then we all agree then, which i dont see is the case.

tayla

My dog's name is Tayla
A soul is an individual unit of consciousness
There are mental processes that occur unconsciously; for example, when you are trying to figure out a problem and give up, but later the answer comes to you. Your soul was working on it unconsciously.

tayla

My dog's name is Tayla
Can such a unit of consciousness be divided into (for instance) two separate consciousnesses, or combined with other consciousnesses into a single, greater consciousness?
In my view, such details about the structure and functioning of the spiritual realm simply cannot be known.

There are certain psychological disorders which can be interpreted as the person having several distinct souls, all within one consciousness.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What unity is that?

Is that Brahman or something.

If we all our a unity, then we all agree then, which i dont see is the case.
Yes, Brahman's as good as anything to call it.

Unity? Of course you don't see it. Our whole sensory apparatus conspires against the realization, our brains aren't wired to conceive it. It's beyond counterintuitive. Like relativity or quantum mechanics, the whole idea is madness.

Looncall

Here’s an analogy:

We are each like a bottle of water

Our bodies are the bottles, the water within are our souls

Each bottle contains a unique collection of individual water molecules – and is therefore unique as it is made up out of unique water molecules

When the body dies – or the bottle is discarded – what happens to the water (or the soul)???

Tentatively, I’d sat it’s either poured into a new bottle and all kept together – or mixed into a big tank of water, containing many millions of water molecules that in the past have all been in different bottles, and that out of the tank new bottles are filled with water – each bottle full containing a group of water molecules that in the past were all in different bottles and which have never been together before

So is the soul a thing that an be broken down (divided) and/or combined with others? Or is it impossible to divide a soul, or to combine it with another one - which would be like mixing together the contents of two bottles?

Hope this helps?

Water molecules are all the same.

Recognizing that the idea of souls is an error left over from ancient times will resolve your conundrum.

Any thoughts?

This appears as an alternative explanation to how kids emerge from parents.

Electra

The simple fact that i beleive that most of my soul is where i was before this earth, the soul ~can split.

Muffled

Jesus in me

Any thoughts?

I believe a soul is sole if one means spirit by the word. If one means body and spirit then there have been instances of multiple possession but only one spirit can control a mind at a time.

I believe a spirit can be in two different places at two different times. So one time my soul was in Maryland and another instance of my soul was when it was in Nebraska.

Muffled

Jesus in me
But, a human soul DOES-NOT.

There are five basic elements of which the whole world is made of;
Water, Soil, Temperature, Air & Space.

Human soul has the attributes of all five elements. hence, it is on its final stage to merge into supreme soul/God.

I believe the idea of merging into the supreme God is myth without firm basis.