1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured Can souls be divided and combined?

Discussion in 'General Religious Debates' started by Eddi, Jan 24, 2019.

1. WalterTrull

WalterTrull Godfella

Ratings:
    +932
    I guess we're talking definitions here.

2. Unveiled Artist

Unveiled Artist Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +7,957
    It's me. It's going over my head so no biggie.

Take back my other post. I assume each individual spirit goes onto the next body without being a combination of prior ones...since each person is unique (have their own molecules) when they die, they go into a new body on their own. We are all in our own spirit-ual state of being or unique. So, it's impossible to combine spirits say John and Jane to make a new one Bob. John would go go into a new body and Jane another depending on their spiritual maturity rather than needing to combine to another spirit to make a new one alive.

If I jak* that up, no big deal. Hope that helps.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Woberts

Woberts The Perfumed Seneschal

Ratings:
    +1,870
    Religion:
    Terminus Est.
    The soul doesn't exist, therefor the answer is no.

4. viole

viole Metaphysical Naturalist
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,148
    Religion:
    Gnostic Atheism
    Thoughts? I have only one half of it.

Ciao

- viole

5. InvestigateTruth

InvestigateTruth Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,369
    Religion:
    Baha'i
    First one must prove that, there is indeed such a thing called soul. If this is just a personal belief, without proof, then, anyone can make additional assumptions or imaginations about it.

6. Valjean

Valjean Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +9,359
    Religion:
    Vedanta (reform)
    But in traditional, philosophical Hinduism, the multifarious individual consciousnesses we observe in the 'material world' are illusions. There exists only a single, unified sea of consciousness permeating the universe.
    The ultimate goal of Hinduism, in fact, is merger with this unity or, more accurately, the realization that your apparent individuality has never been anything more than a dream.

Souls:
    As universal gravitation causes matter eventually to accrete into suns and planets, "souls" grow together over lifetimes, merging and growing in consciousness, eventually merging into unity with the cosmic soul, as a drop of water merges into the ocean.

7. osgart

osgart Nothing my eye, Something for sure

Ratings:
    +1,016
    Religion:
    No Religion. I Sense The Higher Power but it is only us who dream of it.
    No matter where you go there you are!

My soul is one individual unit.

If we all merged into one soul that would be chaos, and id be clawing to get out on my own again!

8. Etritonakin

Etritonakin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +292
    From a biblical perspective... It actually says we (and even animals) ARE living souls -but we HAVE a spirit in us which allows for understanding, (personality) etc. (that which returns to God -stored/asleep, but unaware until resurrection.)

Basically -it is our programming/software -which may later be placed in another body (a "glorious" spirit body when resurrected -or human body in some cases).

By creating man, etc., God (all-inclusive) essentially logically separated parts of himself in what I describe as a multiple personality ORDER -giving those parts independent decision-making power and identity.

The fact that multiple personality DISORDER occurs shows that one identity can be divided into more (some have apparently even done so purposefully).

John the Baptist (if I remember correctly) was sent "in the spirit and power of Elijah" -but was technically not the specific person "Elijah the Tishbite/the prophet.

The second mention in page order of the spirit of God was God, by his spirit, instantaneously imparting knowledge and talents in craftsmanship -similar to the learning programs in "The Matrix" (Given the many biblical references in those movies, that may be where they got the idea) -though that does not include personality, etc.

Logically, anything which exists might potentially be reproduced and/or coupled/mixed with something else (but such things are usually better left to God -as we usually make a mess of things due to relative ignorance, willingness to do evil, etc)

The spirit in man can also be coupled with God's spirit/holy spirit/spirit of God -which is defined as a "spirit of power, love and of a sound mind". It is first with one -then in one after repentance, baptism, laying in of hands (and God's approval that these conditions have been properly met, of course) -and imparts "gifts" as God sees fit.

One of the gifts of God's spirit is "knowing of spirits" or "distinguishing between spirits".
    Satan is called "the prince of the power of the air" who works in/through the sons of disobedience -and other angelic/demonic beings also have the power to affect our spirits.

God's spirit-among other things -allows one to be aware -to rule their own spirit and essentially defend their will and identity from spiritual influence.

The integrity of individual identities is important to God's plan -so combining them, etc., isn't a goal and would not be good -but adding things to an individual identity can be an awesome thing (such as an improved and invulnerable body allowing access to the entire creation and the ability to have dominion over it/subdue it, various gifts and talents, etc.)

#28 Etritonakin, Jan 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
  9. Valjean

Valjean Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +9,359
    Religion:
    Vedanta (reform)
    If you merged into one soul, what part would be clawing to get out? What sort of "I" would remain?
    Individual souls are our subjective realities. But they're only real while we remain in our subjective dreams. Objectively, they're all part of a unity

10. osgart

osgart Nothing my eye, Something for sure

Ratings:
    +1,016
    Religion:
    No Religion. I Sense The Higher Power but it is only us who dream of it.
    What unity is that?

Is that Brahman or something.

If we all our a unity, then we all agree then, which i dont see is the case.

11. dmap

dmap God is good and beautiful

Ratings:
    +402
    Religion:
    deist monotheist agnostic panentheist
    There are mental processes that occur unconsciously; for example, when you are trying to figure out a problem and give up, but later the answer comes to you. Your soul was working on it unconsciously.

12. dmap

dmap God is good and beautiful

Ratings:
    +402
    Religion:
    deist monotheist agnostic panentheist
    In my view, such details about the structure and functioning of the spiritual realm simply cannot be known.

There are certain psychological disorders which can be interpreted as the person having several distinct souls, all within one consciousness.

13. Valjean

Valjean Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +9,359
    Religion:
    Vedanta (reform)
    Yes, Brahman's as good as anything to call it.

Unity? Of course you don't see it. Our whole sensory apparatus conspires against the realization, our brains aren't wired to conceive it. It's beyond counterintuitive. Like relativity or quantum mechanics, the whole idea is madness.

14. Looncall

Looncall Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +726
    Water molecules are all the same.

Recognizing that the idea of souls is an error left over from ancient times will resolve your conundrum.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. aurisadhibeo

aurisadhibeo Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Religion:
    Agnostic
    This appears as an alternative explanation to how kids emerge from parents.

16. Electra

Electra l'attendue

Ratings:
    +182
    Religion:
    Rose
    The simple fact that i beleive that most of my soul is where i was before this earth, the soul ~can split.

17. aurisadhibeo

aurisadhibeo Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Religion:
    Agnostic
    What does that even mean?

18. Muffled

Muffled Jesus in me

Ratings:
    +953
    Religion:
    Christian
    I believe a soul is sole if one means spirit by the word. If one means body and spirit then there have been instances of multiple possession but only one spirit can control a mind at a time.

I believe a spirit can be in two different places at two different times. So one time my soul was in Maryland and another instance of my soul was when it was in Nebraska.

19. Muffled

Muffled Jesus in me

Ratings:
    +953
    Religion:
    Christian
    I believe the idea of merging into the supreme God is myth without firm basis.

20. Muffled

Muffled Jesus in me

Ratings:
    +953
    Religion:
    Christian
    I believe there is growth as the saying goes, I am not the same person as I was before.