1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured Can someone show me evidence outside the Bible that the Exodus actually happened?

Discussion in 'General Religious Debates' started by NewGuyOnTheBlock, Oct 21, 2021.

1. DNB

DNB Christian

Ratings:
    +376
    Religion:
    Christianity
    Outside of watching a rather compelling documentary on the facticity of the event, I have not done much study in this regard in order to offer a comprehensive and balance argument on the matter.
    I believe that it was true, exactly as described in the Bible. For, this was the over-arching principle that God continuously used against the Israelites during their apostasies, defiant and irreverent behaviour. That is, right up to the southern Kingdom's expulsion from the land that God promised them during the time of the Exodus, He constantly reminded them of how evident both His power and love was displayed in this historical fact. And, that it was for this reason, what they witnessed with their eyes, that their sins were even more egregious than they would've been had not such an event occurred. Plus, before the Exodus happened, it was prophesied by Joseph (Genesis 50:24-25, Hebrews 11:22).

In other words, had the Exodus not taken place, and all the events immediately leading up to it and shortly afterwards, then the entirety of the TaNaKh's veracity is put into question. And, not only the TaNaKh, but also the New Testament makes reference to the event: Stephen during his martyrdom, and Matthew prophesying in Matthew 2:15 how the Exodus event relates to Jesus' temporary sojourn in Egypt.

2. BilliardsBall

BilliardsBall Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +884
    Religion:
    Messianic Jewish Christianity
    Why would Israel be monotheist when about 10 Jews were there (Abraham's group) before the Exodus?

3. Jayhawker Soule

Jayhawker Soule <yawn> ignore </yawn>
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +15,081
    Religion:
    Judaism
    ^ a claim proclaimed with religious fervor but zero evidence. Not much has changed in my absence. :D

4. RabbiO

RabbiO הרב יונה בן זכריה

Ratings:
    +3,649
    Religion:
    Judaism
    Very glad to see you!!!

I’ve been extremely concerned about your absence. I hope all is well with you and yours,

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. IndigoChild5559

IndigoChild5559 Loving God and my neighbor as myself.

Ratings:
    +3,719
    Religion:
    Judaism
    Apart from Exodus, there is no other archaeological evidence that Israel was ever enslaved by Egypt. But why wouldn't Exodus itself be considered evidence?

6. PureX

PureX Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +10,681
    Religion:
    Philosophical Taoist/Christian
    Because none of the other events depicted in the Exodus myth are evidenced, either.

7. Subduction Zone

Subduction Zone Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +32,425
    Religion:
    Atheist
    Also because Exodus is the claim. It cannot be the evidence. It is like my claim that I bought a mint Harley Davidson motorcycle (you can name the year and model) for $20.00. My claim cannot be the evidence for my claim. It would be pure circular reasoning.

• Like Like x 1
  8. IndigoChild5559

Ratings:
    +3,719
    Religion:
    Judaism
    I have found that most legends are based on fact. You have to look for the history encased by the fiction. Saying Troy didn't exist simply becaues teh Iliad is a myth was one of the stupidest things that modern scholars ever did.

9. IndigoChild5559

Ratings:
    +3,719
    Religion:
    Judaism
    I disagree with your analysis. Exodus is supposed to be a documentation of history. It is no different than any other ancient historical source.

10. PureX

PureX Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +10,681
    Religion:
    Philosophical Taoist/Christian
    It is true that most myths have factual components, but only to the degree that they serve the meaning of the myth. What matters to the purpose of the myth is the ideal it represents, not the factual validity of it's details. The truth of a myth is NOT RELATED to the factual validity of it's presentation.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. Subduction Zone

Ratings:
    +32,425
    Religion:
    Atheist
    What makes you think that it qualifies as "documentation of history"? And even so, one never takes one document alone. If one so called document is refuted by archaeology, history, and other documents it will be rightfully rejected. Exodus appears to have been written during the Babylonian exile. I do not see how that qualifies it as a historical document.

And of course if you are going to claim that Moses wrote it then the fact that there was no Flood of Noah, no Garden of Eden, no Tower of Babel, pretty much rule him out as a reliable source.

12. Subduction Zone

Ratings:
    +32,425
    Religion:
    Atheist
    That is true to an extent. But legend may have greatly altered the past. Some of the stories of the Old Testament are as accurate as Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter.

13. Jayhawker Soule

Jayhawker Soule <yawn> ignore </yawn>
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +15,081
    Religion:
    Judaism
    Thank you. We are all well, and I am truly very sorry that my absence caused concern.

14. IndigoChild5559

Ratings:
    +3,719
    Religion:
    Judaism
    I agree

15. IndigoChild5559

Ratings:
    +3,719
    Religion:
    Judaism
    Exodus is simply orally transmitted history that was written down. As is usual with oral transmission, legend creeps in. But it is STILL primarily a historical document.

16. IndigoChild5559

Ratings:
    +3,719
    Religion:
    Judaism
    I do not think Moses wrote the Torah, nor am I a literalist. You are bringing these points up with the wrong person.