• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can someone love someone they have never met?

Brian2

Veteran Member
That is true, but on the other hand it might really be love. :)

But I don't think one can know if it is really love till the face-to-face meeting.
The problem with the texts and e-mails going on too long is that there could be a big disappointment when that meeting takes place :(

So it is best not to build hopes up too much. Realism and honest communication always helps and the same feels are probably going on with the one at the other end of the emails if there is any reciprocation in the whole thing.
If it is a fantasy then realising that is no doubt helpful in avoiding disappointment.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Can someone who never met you, someone who has only exchanged e-mails and texts with you, love you?

Can you love someone you never met, someone with whom you have only exchanged e-mails and texts?

Do you think it is necessary to meet a person in order to fall in love with them?

Do you think it is necessary to meet a person in order to plan to marry them?

If you have ever fallen in love with someone you never met, please share what happened.

If you have ever fallen in love with someone you never met, what happened when you met the person? How did you feel? Did you still love the person? Were you disappointed or did you love the person even more after meeting the person?

Thanks, Trailblazer :)
It was a hard no, but my nephew has been in an online, distance relationship for a few months now so I'm reconsidering things, even though it is still in my head such a thing cannot work.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
So it is best not to build hopes up too much. Realism and honest communication always helps and the same feels are probably going on with the one at the other end of the emails
The problem is that I don't think the same feelings are going on at the other end. ;):(
If it is a fantasy then realising that is no doubt helpful in avoiding disappointment.
That's for certain, but sometimes a fantasy can get one through a difficult time. ;)

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Looking forward to it. :)
It is coming sooner than later....
I did not much sleep last night so I am incoherent today. I am scheduled to give Silky her subq fluids but I cannot do it today since I am too tired, and even when I am alert I get anxious and flub things up. That was never my job but now it is my job by default. :(

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
It is coming sooner than later....
I did not much sleep last night so I am incoherent today. I am scheduled to give Silky her subq fluids but I cannot do it today since I am too tired, and even when I am alert I get anxious and flub things up. That was never my job but now it is my job by default. :(

I understand. I haven't gotten much sleep for the last two nights... one night was so hectic, I even forgot the dog's ear meds...

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I understand. I haven't gotten much sleep for the last two nights... one night was so hectic, I even forgot the dog's ear meds...
I can put off the fluids for Silky for one day, hopefully I'll be able to administer them tomorrow. She is supposed to get an antivirus medication from a tube but she got so antsy that I gave up on it yesterday. She is not eating the Friskies canned food she usually eats, she is only eating the Gerber chicken baby food and she does not eat much of that. I am pretty sure it is the virus that is affecting her eating because she just had a complete senior blood panel and he kidneys are holding stable at early stage kidney disease.

I said the raccoons are driving me crazy so he asked me in a text what the raccoons are doing. A better question would be what AREN'T the raccoons doing. :rolleyes:
He does not know the half of what it is like to live here. :eek: He lives on a farm that grows food, not an animal farm. I will fill you in on the details later. I am going for a walk now to try to keep what is left of my sanity.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
It sounds like you might be setting yourself up for a fall, one way or the other, and it might involve hurting other people.
I might be setting myself up for a fall, but it won't be my fault if the other person is hurt because I have been completely open and honest.
Sorry for all the mystery, I will probably come out and divulge the whole story later. ;)

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Don't let the raccoons get it on your way out.

You know they'll eat anything...
Here is what those raccoons do. I have one outdoor cat who used to be feral and she depends upon me for food. I can no longer feed her on the front deck because the racks get the food before she can eat it, so I sneak the food out of the house and take it to the property up the road and try to feed her there. But if the racks see me they know and they follow me up the road. So now I have moved her food bowl further up the road so they cannot find it, at least so far.
All I have to say now is :(:mad::eek::rolleyes:

I am going to eat a chimchanga and go for my walk in the dark, bike light in hand.
See y'all later.

Alien826

No religious beliefs
What is love anyway? Unfortunately it tends to be largely sexual attraction when we talk about relationships. I prefer a definition of love that is essentially an outgoing regard for the well-being of another person. Sex is great, but sex alone is not a good basis for an ongoing relationship. I need two separate words to continue this ... lets call the unselfish type "love" and the sexual type "physical attraction". Somewhere in there also is "like", and it may be the most important one in a relationship.

You can love someone without knowing them at all. You simply care about their well-being. That's probably not what we are discussing, but Jesus thought well of it.

(From now on I'm going to refer to the other person as "she". I'm male. Adjust as fits you.)

So, you meet someone on the internet. You exchange emails. She seems nice. After a while you get on Skype and you see what she looks like. Yuck, she's not 21 and gorgeous as she said. Goodbye. Not because you insist on beauty, you're no Adonis yourself, but she misled you. She looks OK, continue. A healthy sexual relationship is important to you (you're going to give up all other women if you get married, so it had better be worth it). She joins you in on-line sex, another barrier down. You've already established some shared interests. You talk about cooking and bird watching. This is really going well.

So you decide to meet. Better for her if it's a public place. You meet and everything still feels good. You have real life sex. It's great! You take a vacation together and enjoy it. So lets get married! What can go wrong?

WAIT!!!!

I'll switch from being the eager young lover to the real me, old and grumpy, with several failed relationships behind me.

You never really know someone until you have lived together for a long time. You have to get past the stage when you are both on best behavior. Physical attraction fades and the masks come off. You may like what's under the mask. There, I finally got to the "like" thing. If you do then you are one of the fortunate few. Enjoy the happy life that stretches before you. But if you don't like her, no amount of love is going to make you happy. If it's not too late, run don't walk away from it.

There's an in between relationship that I think is worth trying. Living separately. It's the ideal combination of living alone (with nobody else to consider) and dating (with all the fun). I so wish I had done that.

A marriage is not more important than the people in it.

Children add a complication to the above. You may have to make the best of a bad relationship until they are grown. Evaluate the relationship carefully before embarking on a family. Children add stress to a relationship, they don't help it.

Beware of marrying someone with children at home. No matter how hard she tries the children will always be more important to her than you are. And the children will not accept you as a full-fledged parent. Oh, they will when it comes to treats, but not when it comes to discipline.

You can get too old to make yet another change.

Beware someone who has a fixed picture in her mind of how the world should be. If you are not a masochist, run don't walk ...

People don't change, not deep down. You won't change her, nor she you. If she doesn't like you now, she never will.

Keep your money separate.

Always have some part of your lives that you don't share.

When it gets really bad, alcohol helps.

Being single is actually not so bad ...

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
What is love anyway? Unfortunately it tends to be largely sexual attraction when we talk about relationships. I prefer a definition of love that is essentially an outgoing regard for the well-being of another person. Sex is great, but sex alone is not a good basis for an ongoing relationship. I need two separate words to continue this ... lets call the unselfish type "love" and the sexual type "physical attraction". Somewhere in there also is "like", and it may be the most important one in a relationship.

You can love someone without knowing them at all. You simply care about their well-being. That's probably not what we are discussing, but Jesus thought well of it.

(From now on I'm going to refer to the other person as "she". I'm male. Adjust as fits you.)

So, you meet someone on the internet. You exchange emails. She seems nice. After a while you get on Skype and you see what she looks like. Yuck, she's not 21 and gorgeous as she said. Goodbye. Not because you insist on beauty, you're no Adonis yourself, but she misled you. She looks OK, continue. A healthy sexual relationship is important to you (you're going to give up all other women if you get married, so it had better be worth it). She joins you in on-line sex, another barrier down. You've already established some shared interests. You talk about cooking and bird watching. This is really going well.

So you decide to meet. Better for her if it's a public place. You meet and everything still feels good. You have real life sex. It's great! You take a vacation together and enjoy it. So lets get married! What can go wrong?

WAIT!!!!

I'll switch from being the eager young lover to the real me, old and grumpy, with several failed relationships behind me.

You never really know someone until you have lived together for a long time. You have to get past the stage when you are both on best behavior. Physical attraction fades and the masks come off. You may like what's under the mask. There, I finally got to the "like" thing. If you do then you are one of the fortunate few. Enjoy the happy life that stretches before you. But if you don't like her, no amount of love is going to make you happy. If it's not too late, run don't walk away from it.

There's an in between relationship that I think is worth trying. Living separately. It's the ideal combination of living alone (with nobody else to consider) and dating (with all the fun). I so wish I had done that.

A marriage is not more important than the people in it.

Children add a complication to the above. You may have to make the best of a bad relationship until they are grown. Evaluate the relationship carefully before embarking on a family. Children add stress to a relationship, they don't help it.

Beware of marrying someone with children at home. No matter how hard she tries the children will always be more important to her than you are. And the children will not accept you as a full-fledged parent. Oh, they will when it comes to treats, but not when it comes to discipline.

Beware someone who has a fixed picture in her mind of how the world should be. If you are not a masochist, run don't walk ...

People don't change, not deep down. You won't change her, nor she you. If she doesn't like you now, she never will.

Keep your money separate.

Always have some part of your lives that you don't share.

When it gets really bad, alcohol helps.

Being single is actually not so bad ...
Gosh, I don’t even know where to start. I agree with so much of what you said.

I will start with my own story and then comment on what you said. Suffice to say my experience has been very different from yours. I was only married once, for 37 years, I have had no other serious relationships or sex with anyone else, although I dated a little in high school and in my twenties, before I married at age 32. We got married three weeks after we met had what we had was mostly an emotional connection, although admittedly there was also a sexual attraction. Since neither one of us had ever had sex with anyone and he was 10 years older than me, it was only natural for us to want sex, since we were ‘in love’ with each other.

The first year was rough but after that things were good for a long time. It was not so much that we were ‘in love’ as that faded, but we liked each other and that never changed. Sadly, I demanded more from him than he could provide, but I did not know that at the time, I just wanted what I wanted. It was not a lot, but he was not capable of doing what I wanted. In retrospect, I am very sorry I had those expectations, because it ultimately led to a loss of closeness and intimacy that and was never rekindled. Nevertheless, we stayed married and he was my best friend and there for emotional support through thick and thin, and it was mostly thick for those last 20 years.

I agree with you that love in this culture is largely based upon sexual attraction and this is doomed to failure because it does not last forever. I believe that real love is as you said, essentially an outgoing regard for the well-being of another person, and sex without caring about the well-being of the other person is not a good basis for an ongoing relationship. I agree that ‘liking’ the person may be the most important one in a relationship. That includes accepting them for who they are, not for what they can do for you.

I have a counselor who thinks that a person has to know someone for three years before they get married. Well, if they hold my religious beliefs, that would mean they have to wait to have sex for three years. But that is not the biggest problem, the biggest problem is when we get older, we don’t have a lot of time left. Not only that, but you are not going to really know a person until you live with them, and living together before marriage is not something that is allowed in my religion. I guess one could get to know a person without living with them, as they could learn about their character, which is of utmost importance, but I don’t think it requires three years to know a person’s character.

I agree with the following that you said:

I am not sure I agree that all the money should be kept separate or that there should be parts of their lives married people don't share.

I do not drink alcohol so for me when it gets really bad, alcohol is off the table. A long walk would be better for me.

I don’t like being single so for me being single is so bad.

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
It's My Birthday!
Can someone who never met you, someone who has only exchanged e-mails and texts with you, love you?
Yes, my current wife did, but of course that was 40 years ago, and we exchanged snail mail only, then talked on the phone. But I believe she loved me before we spoke on the phone.
Can you love someone you never met, someone with whom you have only exchanged e-mails and texts?
I don't know if I felt love, but I was attracted by her love for me.
Yes. I felt it necessary to meet her in person, and so did she. I was worried that I would be turned off in person because she was fat. However, immediately I felt comfortable with her. There's a paradox in my case, the more attractive a woman is, the more uncomfortable I am. Over time, that comfortableness turned into love. After two days, or rather a day and a half, we got engaged. I didn't love her then I don't believe, but that comfortableness made me sure it would all work out, and I would love her.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Yes, my current wife did, but of course that was 40 years ago, and we exchanged snail mail only, then talked on the phone. But I believe she loved me before we spoke on the phone.
Same here, although the snail mail only went one way, love letters from him to me.
Then as I recall we talked on the phone a couple of times.
Then we met a few weeks later.
Yes. I felt it necessary to meet her in person, and so did she. I was worried that I would be turned off in person because she was fat. However, immediately I felt comfortable with her. There's a paradox in my case, the more attractive a woman is, the more uncomfortable I am. Over time, that comfortableness turned into love. After two days, or rather a day and a half, we got engaged. I didn't love her then I don't believe, but that comfortableness made me sure it would all work out, and I would love her..
We got engaged three days after we met, got married three weeks later. Well, you know the story. The comfortableness was immediate and it never wore off. :cry: Oh, that I would ever be that lucky again....
Time will tell. ;)

Brian2

Veteran Member
I might be setting myself up for a fall, but it won't be my fault if the other person is hurt because I have been completely open and honest.
Sorry for all the mystery, I will probably come out and divulge the whole story later. ;)

Better than guessing.

exchemist

Veteran Member

Do you think it is necessary to meet a person in order to fall in love with them?

If you have ever fallen in love with someone you never met, please share what happened.

If you have ever fallen in love with someone you never met, what happened when you met the person? How did you feel? Did you still love the person? Were you disappointed or did you love the person even more after meeting the person?

Thanks, Trailblazer :)
Yes, I think you can love someone you have never met in person. But I suppose people have different standards for what qualifies as love. You can certainly learn enough about someone without having met them to "fall in love", in the sense of finding them very emotionally appealing and feeling a romantic urge to take care of them. (As some readers will know, I experienced this recently myself, with a YouTuber called Charlotte;).) However what some people think of as "real" love is what develops over time and requires deep knowledge of the other person, as I had with my late wife.

I'm inclined to take the more generous view of love. I think we can love a lot of people, not only one, in various different ways.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
However what some people think of as "real" love is what develops over time and requires deep knowledge of the other person, as I had with my late wife.
I agree, and I also had that kind of love. Real love gets stronger, not weaker, over time.
However, I don't think that means that we cannot love a person we do not have a deep knowledge of, marry them, and get to know them better. But I think we have to know something about their character before we marry them.