• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can someone help me create a religious symbol?

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
Crosswise slice of apple:
applecross.jpg

Dodecahedron should be popular with gamers.
Zeroth_stellation_of_dodecahedron.png

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
[GALLERY=media, 8268]DSCN1503 by bobhikes posted Jul 9, 2017 at 10:15 AM[/GALLERY]

Some thing like this maybe two open overlapping circles with 4 ends and the overlap. The overlap could be more important than the open ends.

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
Hi there. I'm actually into world building (you basically create a fictional world. Think middle earth, forgetten realms, star wars, oceania, etc etc.). I am building a small religion in one of these fake nations, and so I was like "they need a symbol". I want this symbol to be unique to itself, so nothing from Earth really (not copying something here already).

The things I must include are incorporating the number 5 (either as the number itself, or a representation of 5 things) and I would like one big circle. I have tried a pentagram, I am not really liking it.

Anything helps. :)

EDIT: I am going along the lines of a solid circle without many breaks in it (meaning no writing inside of it or anything) but it could work if you have a reallllly good idea. Also, the 5 represents the 5 gods if that helps.
A couple questions, from a fellow worldbuilder:
-Who are these 5 gods? What are they like? What do they do? What are they the gods of? Is there a ranking system among them? How do they get along with each other?
-What objects or places are sacred to these gods?
-What is the cosmology of your world? Are there differing planes, such as the Material Plane, Elemental Planes, Ethereal Plane, Astral Plane, etc.? Is it a physical world and a Dark World/Otherworld? If you have other planes, how do they stand in relation to one another? Is it a world axis, or a circle, or a winding river of worlds? How does this cosmology fit into your religion?
-What happens in the afterlife/pre-life, according to your religion?
-What are the tenets of these gods/this religion?
-What major historical or mythical events shape the religion?

A lot of things go into a religious symbol. Your religion's symbol should encapsulate some important aspects of what the religion is. The above is only a starter list of things to think about. :)

If you can answer some of these questions, we'd be able to help you a lot more. As it is now, the commission is just so... vague.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If you want something asymmetrical, divide a circle into 15 sectors, color the first one color A, the second two color B, the next three color C, the next four color D and the rest color E. Or you can re-order those segments to taste, use only three colors, and so on, Shape the part where the radius meets the circumference to look like a petal, a clipped edge, a concave or convex form ─ and so on.

And if you don't want a circle, try an oval, a segment of arc, a blob-splash, and so on.

In choosing shapes and colors, it might help to know something about the nature of this religion - blue for peace, red for war, white for dairy produce, and so on.

Grandliseur

Hi there. I'm actually into world building (you basically create a fictional world. Think middle earth, forgetten realms, star wars, oceania, etc etc.). I am building a small religion in one of these fake nations, and so I was like "they need a symbol". I want this symbol to be unique to itself, so nothing from Earth really (not copying something here already).

The things I must include are incorporating the number 5 (either as the number itself, or a representation of 5 things) and I would like one big circle. I have tried a pentagram, I am not really liking it.

Anything helps. :)

EDIT: I am going along the lines of a solid circle without many breaks in it (meaning no writing inside of it or anything) but it could work if you have a reallllly good idea. Also, the 5 represents the 5 gods if that helps.
The easiest thing for you would be to check the various pictures of crop circles. The art there is unsurpassed, much of non human origin perhaps; next, to check would be the varied art in Indian, Chinese culture.

Corvus

Feathered eyeball connoisseur
The things I must include are incorporating the number 5
According to Tesla, the Czech born american scientists who invented the AC current among other things, the special or most important numbers are 3 6 and 9, with 3 being the most important of all. For some reason. This book would be rather useful for someone interested in creating a symbol, I have a copy myself and can confirm it has some nice accompanying illustrations and explanations behind the symbolism.
SSYM.jpg