• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can someone explain....

epronovost

when the ocean is on fire, how pumping water onto it helps:

By spraying a lot of water at the base of the fire, you dilute the oil and reduce the intensity of the flames. Water isn't fuel; oil is. That's how 90% of oil rig fires are extinguished.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
The one in the back spraying laughably far away is comical without considering what it's actually doing (diluting the oil).

exchemist

Veteran Member
By spraying a lot of water at the base of the fire, you dilute the oil and reduce the intensity of the flames. Water isn't fuel; oil is. That's how 90% of oil rig fires are extinguished.
But wasn't this a leak from a gas pipeline?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
A fine spray has 2 functions, first the water displaces air thus starving the fire of oxygen. And cooling/killing the flames.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Gas is pumped in liquid form due to pressure. Else, the principle remains the same. Spraying water will reduce gas concentration.
Are you sure? The critical temperature for methane is -82C. They would need a liquefaction cooling system at the wellhead to liquefy it. I thought that had to be done onshore in a large facility, and that the gas-gathering from the wells was in gas form.

epronovost

Are you sure? The critical temperature for methane is -82C. They would need a liquefaction cooling system at the wellhead to liquefy it. I thought that had to be done onshore in a large facility, and that the gas-gathering from the wells was in gas form.

Apparently it depends on the type of gas and the type of formation.