• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can Science Prove There Are No Ghosts

james bond

I don't think so. It's something science can't exactly prove, since signs of ghosts are in photographs or people's accounts, some which can be quite unreliable. Basically, i think science cannot determine the nature of anything outside the material world. I'd love to hear other people's thoughts on this subject :)

Science can disprove it. For example, we find that photographer made money from selling the photos and then find the photos were manipulated. Or there are other explanations and experiments. One example from the hotel,

"The “Haunted Rocking Chair”
On the front porch of the hotel entrance is a curious rocking chair that rocks unaided.

The story began when a female staff member noticed the chair rocking when no one was sitting in it. Anecdotally, this was in the middle of the day and there was no wind. Alarmed, the woman approached the chair, strangely asking it, “Do you want me to go?”According to the woman, the rocking sped up. She took this as a sign that the chair “wanted” her to leave, so she left in fear. It was soon believed that this was the ghost of F.O. Stanley, who enjoyed sitting in his rocker on the porch.

The RMPRS hypothesized that the rocking was caused by either the wind or the residual kinetic energy after someone had sat in the chair or rocked it by hand. Further to this, a guest reported seeing the original event occur, just after someone had walked into the hotel foyer. Presumably, this visitor had sat in or rocked the chair beforehand. Baxter tested this theory by sitting in the chair and observing that upon standing, the chair continued to rock for about three minutes. To test the possibility that wind had been the culprit, they attached toilet paper to several chairs nearby, using this as a wind sock to detect movement. As predicted, the wind rocked the chair as the toilet paper fluttered in the breeze."*

As for finding more evidence of the ghost at Stanley Hotel, then we set up equipment to find evidence for ghosts and monitor it. If we rent a room, then we can do this. Otherwise, we want to capture a similar photo or video with the equipment as well as observe first-hand. Since it's a public hotel, then one may have to take photos of it just like the photographer did.

* -"The Stanley Hotel: An Investigation", The Good Word by Karen Stoliznow, December 21, 2009

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Ghosts or spirits remain in the realm of the supernatural. I didn't believe in them except for the Holy Ghost, even though I believe in the supernatural, but now I'm not so sure. If science can prove there are no ghosts, then I suppose the atheists and their scientists have some disproof of God and the supernatural.

The weirdest one I've encountered is the ghost at Stanley Hotel. It was the hotel made famous by The Shining.

14d8ad400e6c4f0e0c92cf443fea9f26
59d744b42000000e34085672.jpeg

Stanley Hotel where The Shining was shot

I do not have an explanation for this. Of course, the atheists won't believe because it's the supernatural. Christians believe in angels and demons, but there's argument over ghosts. One can clearly see a figure of a woman and child once they blow up the embedded photo. I'm beginning to think the photographer wasn't out just to make money for himself. We have unrelated expert people and companies who have examined the photos. Any altered or Photoshopped images would have been discovered.

'Ghosts' Caught On Camera At Famed Stanley Hotel In Colorado | HuffPost

From earlier this year
Paranormal investigator sees something else in Stanley Hotel picture

You have to come up with a falsifiable, repeatable process to validate your theory.

It's not up to science to disprove your theories. It's up to you to make use of science to validate them. For a lot of "ghost" photographs other explanations have been found. You'd have to eliminate all other possible explanations.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
These photos were examined by experts and no PS nor human manipulation.

>>Incidentally who are these expert people and companies?<<

Read my last link in the OP.

~[Kevin Sampron, a paranormal expert at SPIRIT Paranormal Investigations in Denver, ran the image through a variety of tests and filters.]~

That's your expert and company? That's all I found in the last link.

james bond

~[Kevin Sampron, a paranormal expert at SPIRIT Paranormal Investigations in Denver, ran the image through a variety of tests and filters.]~

That's your expert and company? That's all I found in the last link.

He's better than the company that represented the debunkers ha ha.

DavidFirth

Ghosts or spirits remain in the realm of the supernatural. I didn't believe in them except for the Holy Ghost, even though I believe in the supernatural, but now I'm not so sure. If science can prove there are no ghosts, then I suppose the atheists and their scientists have some disproof of God and the supernatural.

The weirdest one I've encountered is the ghost at Stanley Hotel. It was the hotel made famous by The Shining.

14d8ad400e6c4f0e0c92cf443fea9f26
59d744b42000000e34085672.jpeg

Stanley Hotel where The Shining was shot

I do not have an explanation for this. Of course, the atheists won't believe because it's the supernatural. Christians believe in angels and demons, but there's argument over ghosts. One can clearly see a figure of a woman and child once they blow up the embedded photo. I'm beginning to think the photographer wasn't out just to make money for himself. We have unrelated expert people and companies who have examined the photos. Any altered or Photoshopped images would have been discovered.

'Ghosts' Caught On Camera At Famed Stanley Hotel In Colorado | HuffPost

From earlier this year
Paranormal investigator sees something else in Stanley Hotel picture

Long time, no see, James, glad you're back.

It is very difficult to prove anything by secular means with secular equipment about spirits or ghosts. Very difficult indeed.

james bond

You have to come up with a falsifiable, repeatable process to validate your theory.

It's not up to science to disprove your theories. It's up to you to make use of science to validate them. For a lot of "ghost" photographs other explanations have been found. You'd have to eliminate all other possible explanations.

>>N: You have to come up with a falsifiable, repeatable process to validate your theory.<<

For ghosts? Plenty of anecdotal evidence and photos at the hotel.

>>It's not up to science to disprove your theories.<<

Sure, it is for events that happen to people.

james bond

Long time, no see, James, glad you're back.

It is very difficult to prove anything by secular means with secular equipment about spirits or ghosts. Very difficult indeed.

Thanks, David. I'm back, but won't be able to reply as often as I like. Do not have access to the internet at work.

I can only go by anecdotes and whatever evidence is presented. This one is filed under mystery. Other anecdotes have been debunked. Most have. So, there is more evidence of disproof of ghosts than there is for ghosts. It goes to show that real ghosts or spirits are scarce in our material world if they do exist.

Jesster

Friendly skeptic
Premium Member
Send pics and let us try (of course we'll need pics of you in and out of your disguise).

Nah. It's your job to put in the work if you're the one trying to disprove it. If you can't prove me wrong, that means I'm right. That's how this works, right? :p

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
What other evidence do you have? Name and explain the top 3 to you.
Well, I was talking about the cumulative weight of millions of events in the human experience considered for quality, quantity and consistency.

A sceptic can argue any one case like the Stanley Hotel into infinity but my position is based on my judgment of the entire phenomena. So many uncelebrated real-world cases even with physical phenomena, multiple witnesses, etc..

DavidFirth

Thanks, David. I'm back, but won't be able to reply as often as I like. Do not have access to the internet at work.

I can only go by anecdotes and whatever evidence is presented. This one is filed under mystery. Other anecdotes have been debunked. Most have. So, there is more evidence of disproof of ghosts than there is for ghosts. It goes to show that real ghosts or spirits are scarce in our material world if they do exist.

Yeah, I'll be moving up to a new job where I'll be able to post much less often. :(

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
>>N: You have to come up with a falsifiable, repeatable process to validate your theory.<<

For ghosts? Plenty of anecdotal evidence and photos at the hotel.

>>It's not up to science to disprove your theories.<<

Sure, it is for events that happen to people.

Someone has to use the tool of science. I mean if you were really interested. Someone has to have the interest and take the time. Have a reason to invest the resources.

If you don't want to do it, no point in complaining that no one else wants to either.

Can science disprove specific claims of ghosts? Sure. There are actually folks out there that take the time to do the necessary investigations.

Benjamin Radford - Wikipedia

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Nah. It's your job to put in the work if you're the one trying to disprove it. If you can't prove me wrong, that means I'm right. That's how this works, right? :p

Well pay no attention to that face in the window. It's just...uhh...scientific observation. Yeah, that's the ticket--scientific observation.