• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can science disprove the existence of God?

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Nevermind when you get into the genetics of it? Are you serious?:D This is where it all happens! How can you blow it off like that?:rolleyes:
Yes, totally serious.

Genetics | The Smithsonian Institution's Human Origins Program
DNA: Comparing Humans and Chimps
Tiny Genetic Differences between Humans and Other Primates Pervade the Genome
2005 Release: New Genome Comparison Finds Chimps, Humans Very Similar at DNA Level
Comparing the human and chimpanzee genomes: Searching for needles in a haystack
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/11/121106201124.htm

You havent answered this yet, stop jumping around!:D What is your biggest and most powerful proof we are descendants from apes? Please be specific.
I answered by pointing out that science isn't about proofs (that's math).

There is a collection of evidence pointing to the fact that we are great apes, so that focusing on one single piece of evidence would be folly.

Try looking up DNA or comparative genomics.

Rapture Era

Yes, totally serious.

Genetics | The Smithsonian Institution's Human Origins Program
DNA: Comparing Humans and Chimps
Tiny Genetic Differences between Humans and Other Primates Pervade the Genome
2005 Release: New Genome Comparison Finds Chimps, Humans Very Similar at DNA Level
Comparing the human and chimpanzee genomes: Searching for needles in a haystack
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/11/121106201124.htm

I answered by pointing out that science isn't about proofs (that's math).
There is a collection of evidence pointing to the fact that we are great apes, so that focusing on one single piece of evidence would be folly.
Try looking up DNA or comparative genomics.
Not one piece of evidence, one subject. You listed many, pick one subject and tell me why you believe this subject shows through science that it is true, or at least true to you. You can do that right? You said we are descendants from apes. How is that possible?

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Not one piece of evidence, one subject. You listed many, pick one subject and tell me why you believe this subject shows through science that it is true, or at least true to you. You can do that right? You said we are descendants from apes. How is that possible?
Read through the links in the post you just responded to.

There are many different evidences that all converge on the same conclusion. Your request for a single piece of evidence ("proof," as you put it) is silly.

I said we are great apes. That we are closely related to the other great apes. We're still talking about the same subject as we were before.

Rapture Era

Read through the links in the post you just responded to.

There are many different evidences that all converge on the same conclusion. Your request for a single piece of evidence ("proof," as you put it) is silly.

I said we are great apes. That we are closely related to the other great apes. We're still talking about the same subject as we were before.
No, I'm not going to read anymore links. I could do the same thing to you, send you links to read. You said, "I am saying just based on looks alone that it is beyond obvious that we are related to apes. Further investigation of the genetic, genomic, anatomical and homologous evidence confirms that we are in fact, great apes, hence the reason we are classified as such." I'm opening a dialog with you about what you think Sceptic Thinker, not what some link states. You pick one of the above "genetic, genomic, anatomical, homologous whatever you want and lets do some critical thinking on these confirmations that we are in fact apes. I want to know from you what you place your trust in that these things are true. Let us discuss these matters with clarity, accuracy, precision, consistency, relevance, sound evidence, good reasons, depth, breadth, and fairness not someones biased article. Your world view and my world view will not reconcile. Only one is true. I want you to present your best case using the different disciplines above to tell me why you believe your world view and its results are fact beyond obvious as you state. :)

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
No, I'm not going to read anymore links. I could do the same thing to you, send you links to read. You said, "I am saying just based on looks alone that it is beyond obvious that we are related to apes. Further investigation of the genetic, genomic, anatomical and homologous evidence confirms that we are in fact, great apes, hence the reason we are classified as such." I'm opening a dialog with you about what you think Sceptic Thinker, not what some link states. You pick one of the above "genetic, genomic, anatomical, homologous whatever you want and lets do some critical thinking on these confirmations that we are in fact apes. I want to know from you what you place your trust in that these things are true. Let us discuss these matters with clarity, accuracy, precision, consistency, relevance, sound evidence, good reasons, depth, breadth, and fairness not someones biased article. Your world view and my world view will not reconcile. Only one is true. I want you to present your best case using the different disciplines above to tell me why you believe your world view and its results are fact beyond obvious as you state. :)
I don't have to present any case. The case has already been made. Evolution is a scientific theory. It didn't get there without mountains of evidence confirming it's validity as the best explanation that conforms to all available evidence. The combination of evidences from all the areas I mentioned, leads to the obvious conclusion that we are great apes who are closely related to the other great apes. The DNA evidence alone confirms that. So does the fossil record. So do ERVs. So does the series of perfect matches of our ERVs with those of the other great apes. The fusion of chromosome 2 in humans also demonstrates ancestry.

Evolution is not a world view anymore than gravity is a world view. It's just a fact of life.

I place my trust in the scientific method because it has proven itself to be the most reliable method we have available to discern fact from fiction. If you know of some better way, I'm all ears.

Last edited:

Rapture Era

Evolution is a scientific theory. It didn't get there without mountains of evidence confirming it's validity as the best explanation that conforms to all available evidence.
You state this but you obviously dont know what "scientific theory" means! Here is what it means;
A scientific theory is a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world that is acquired through the scientific method and repeatedly tested and confirmed, preferably using a written, pre-defined, protocol of observations and experiments.
Show me how evolution has been or can be demonstrated through scientific method?
The combination of evidences from all the areas I mentioned, leads to the obvious conclusion that we are great apes who are closely related to the other great apes. The DNA evidence alone confirms that. So does the fossil record. So do ERVs. So does the series of perfect matches of our ERVs with those of the other great apes. The fusion of chromosome 2 in humans also demonstrates ancestry.
None of this is true. You need to update your facts with current science truths. Human chromosome 2 fusion has been debunked and no longer demonstrates any ancestry.
Evolution is not a world view anymore than gravity is a world view.
Yes, in and of itself it is not a world view. However it falls under the world view of no God and I use it in that sense.
It's just a fact of life.
Whats just a fact of life?
I place my trust in the scientific method because it has proven itself to be the most reliable method we have available to discern fact from fiction. If you know of some better way, I'm all ears.
I'm scratching my head here trying to understand why you would contradict yourself so horribly. You cannot apply the very scientific method you trust so much in because the scientific method cannot be applied to evolution, so how could you possibly put your trust in it. Doesnt make any sense at all.
There are two premises on which you believe the various theories of evolution are based. Correct me if I'm wrong.
1) Nothing + nothing = two elements + time = 92 natural elements + time = all physical laws and a completely structured universe of galaxies, systems, stars, planets, and moons orbiting in perfect balance and order.
2) This is the evolutionary formula for making life:
Dirt + water + time = living creatures.
Evolutionists theorize that the above two formulas can enable everything about us to make itself with the exception of man made things, such as cars or buildings. Complicated things, such as wooden boxes with nails in them, require thought, intelligence, and careful workmanship. But everything else about us in nature (such as hummingbirds and the human eye) is declared to be the result of accidental mishaps, random confusion, and time. You will not even need raw materials to begin with. They make themselves too.
Your faith in evolution is much greater than mine in an all powerful God able to do just what He said he did. As a rational thinking person, even a sceptic thinker like yourself, you must have the ability to see that evolution is completely bankrupt! Scientifically and otherwise! But if these incredible fallacies are what you want to waller in, have fun!:)

ArtieE

Your faith in evolution is much greater than mine in an all powerful God able to do just what He said he did.
OK if you want me to believe in the existence of your god first you have to give me a good explanation why he would exist in the first place. Abiogenesis is one theory about how life appeared on earth and evolution describes how it evolved. Now, give me an equally well documented theory about why your god exists.

Rapture Era

OK if you want me to believe in the existence of your god first you have to give me a good explanation why he would exist in the first place. Abiogenesis is one theory about how life appeared on earth and evolution describes how it evolved. Now, give me an equally well documented theory about why your god exists.
The beauty of having a personal relationship with the only living God, that is to say, the God of the bible, is just that, personal. YOU have to want to know Him. He sees you Artie, He created you. He also knows your heart and whether you are just blowing air or are genuinely wanting to know Him. You can lie to me but you cant lie to Him. I cant make you believe in Him. This is something you need to seek on your own. There is plenty of circumstantial evidence for His existence. In fact, in the book of Romans, chapter 1 verses 19 -21 it says this:
19For what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. 20 For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood from His workmanship, so that men are without excuse. 21For although they knew God, they neither glorified Him as God nor gave thanks to Him, but they became futile in their thinking and darkened in their foolish hearts.…
This is well documented. The question is, what are you going to do about it!

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
The beauty of having a personal relationship with the only living God, that is to say, the God of the bible, is just that, personal. YOU have to want to know Him. He sees you Artie, He created you. He also knows your heart and whether you are just blowing air or are genuinely wanting to know Him. You can lie to me but you cant lie to Him. I cant make you believe in Him. This is something you need to seek on your own. There is plenty of circumstantial evidence for His existence. In fact, in the book of Romans, chapter 1 verses 19 -21 it says this:
19For what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. 20 For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood from His workmanship, so that men are without excuse. 21For although they knew God, they neither glorified Him as God nor gave thanks to Him, but they became futile in their thinking and darkened in their foolish hearts.…
So in other words, you got nothing but your sermons?

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
So you have nothing. Got it.

Please don't ever again try to tell me that I have more faith than you do, after posting something like this.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
You state this but you obviously dont know what "scientific theory" means! Here is what it means;

A scientific theory is a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world that is acquired through the scientific method and repeatedly tested and confirmed, preferably using a written, pre-defined, protocol of observations and experiments.

Show me how evolution has been or can be demonstrated through scientific method?

Thanks for confirming what I said.

None of this is true. You need to update your facts with current science truths. Human chromosome 2 fusion has been debunked and no longer demonstrates any ancestry.

Please provide links to the science that debunks the example you’ve chosen to isolate.

Yes, in and of itself it is not a world view. However it falls under the world view of no God and I use it in that sense.

It does not fall under the worldview of “no god.” Plenty of religious people both believe in god and accept evolutionary theory. Has it never occurred to you that the god you worship could be smart enough to have designed evolution?

Whats just a fact of life?

That life evolves over time.

I'm scratching my head here trying to understand why you would contradict yourself so horribly. You cannot apply the very scientific method you trust so much in because the scientific method cannot be applied to evolution, so how could you possibly put your trust in it.

Doesnt make any sense at all.

I have no idea what you are talking about.

The scientific method was, and is used to empirically support the theory of evolution.

There are two premises on which you believe the various theories of evolution are based. Correct me if I'm wrong.

1) Nothing + nothing = two elements + time = 92 natural elements + time = all physical laws and a completely structured universe of galaxies, systems, stars, planets, and moons orbiting in perfect balance and order.

Where did you get this from and what does it have to do with evolution?

2) This is the evolutionary formula for making life:

Dirt + water + time = living creatures. [

Evolutionists theorize that the above two formulas can enable everything about us to make itself with the exception of man made things, such as cars or buildings. Complicated things, such as wooden boxes with nails in them, require thought, intelligence, and careful workmanship. But everything else about us in nature (such as hummingbirds and the human eye) is declared to be the result of accidental mishaps, random confusion, and time. You will not even need raw materials to begin with. They make themselves too.

Wrong again. Where did you get this from?

Evolution requires genetic material, reproduction, variation and selective pressure.

Your faith in evolution is much greater than mine in an all powerful God able to do just what He said he did. As a rational thinking person, even a sceptic thinker like yourself, you must have the ability to see that evolution is completely bankrupt! Scientifically and otherwise! But if these incredible fallacies are what you want to waller in, have fun!
clip_image002.png

I have no faith in evolution. As I said, I place my trust in the scientific method because it has proven itself to be the most reliable method we have available to discern fact from fiction. If you know of some better way, I'm all ears.

Please demonstrate the existence of your god and please demonstrate how you have verified that this god has ever said or done anything and what those things are. If you can do that, you’ll be on your way to coming anywhere close to providing as much evidence as there is for the existence evolutionary processes. Hey, maybe you’ll find out that your god is behind evolution after all!

ArtieE

There is plenty of circumstantial evidence for His existence.
Again: "OK if you want me to believe in the existence of your god first you have to give me a good explanation why he would exist in the first place. Abiogenesis is one theory about how life appeared on earth and evolution describes how it evolved. Now, give me an equally well documented theory about why your god exists."

I didn't ask for evidence for His existence, I asked for an explanation for why he would exist in the first place.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Can science disprove the existence of God?

Science does not disprove the existence of G-d with the attributes mentioned in Quran. Right? Please
Regards

A Vestigial Mote

So now scientists who absolutely must not believe in God as creator and intelligent design or they will loose funding or tenure or respect from their fellow evolutionist peers are now reaching to the next ridiculous floating device in hopes of saving themselves and their pride from sinking into the abyss of absolute failure are now reaching outward into space! Boy oh boy. Desperate measures for desperate times!
And can you tell me why you think it makes so much sense to assume "God" as the cause of life instead? Isn't that just as outlandish a possibility if we're "using [our] common sense" and "[doing] some critical thinking?"

Scientists have a fairly good idea of the multitude of chemical steps in putting together a DNA molecule; but, not only can DNA not be synthesized "by nature" at the seashore, highly trained technicians cannot do it in their million-dollar laboratories!

Wow, you put A LOT more faith in human scientists than I am willing to. Expecting them to be able to create life because they have "million-dollar laboratories." No wonder your common sense and critical thinking pointed you to God. Both are apparently fairly limited in scope.

Scientists cant come remotely close to producing life, what makes you think life could spontaneously come from non life and be able to know to reproduce after its own kind?
Again with the MASSIVE amount of faith you put in scientists. With faith like that I would imagine your belief in scientists' abilities is probably only second to your faith in God.

It doesnt even know what it is! Remember, evolution must start at the molecular level and it is meaningless, purposeless and has no intelligence. Its impossible!

Viruses aren't considered "alive" by many definitions of what constitutes "life", and yet they are able to attach themselves to specific cells, and inject them with RNA-encoded instructions to make the cell become something akin to a virus factory. This is mostly a chemical "trick" - exploiting the chemically bonded nature of DNA/RNA strands - all compounds, and therefore all willing to trade-up and adhere to other compounds/molecules that present a more stable configuration. At that level "life" isn't required. And yet things are happening that drastically affect the behavior and even substance of "life". Isn't that interesting?