• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can science disprove the existence of God?

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
Just listen to any of the videos in which Krauss or Dawkins are interviewed.
They're noisy, but not high-calibre.

These high-calibre scientists claim that science can prove that God's existence is unlikely.
Unlikely is not the same as proved non-existence though. Proving that God's existence is unlikely doesn't prove anything. And again, they're not high-calibre. They're media prostitutes.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
LOL. Are you doubting the fact that I am scientist? I can prove it to you. I work in the field of Physical Chemistry. I co-authored eleven scientific articles in international peer-reviewed journals. I am not a Nobel Prize candidate, but I am still a scientist. I don't see why it matters, though.
Well, you're not a high calibre scientists. ;)

Robert.Evans

You will be assimilated; it is His Will.
I am amazed at how many high-calibre scientists are out to demonstrate that science disproves the existence of God. This amazes me because in general all science students learn at least a little bit of philosophy of science. One of the most basic principles in philosophy of science is that of falsifiability. A statement is falsifiable if there is an observation (either experimental or logical) that can demonstrate that the statement is false. For example, the statement “all cats are black” can easily be disproven by finding a cat that is not black. Similarly, the statement “parallel straight lines meet at some point” is false by definition. However, statements such as “this cat ought to be black” are unfalsifiable because it is impossible to demonstrate what something ought to be. Another example of an unfalsifiable statement is “if I had been born in Nigeria, I would be two meters tall”. These statements are unscientific because they are unfalsifiable. Science cannot tell us anything about them. It can neither prove them nor disprove them. However, an unfalsifiable statement may be true. For example, “mothers ought to love their children” is unfalsifiable and unscientific, but may be true nonetheless. The existence of God is unfalsifiable. Therefore, science cannot tell us anything about it. Claiming that this is not so is demonstrating a profound ignorance of what science is and is not. Please share your thoughts on the matter.
Science, as believing scientists will tell you, cannot answer simplistic childlike questions like, Why are we here?

It is only the atheistic scientists like Dawkins who think they can.

Demonslayer

Science, as believing scientists will tell you, cannot answer simplistic childlike questions like, Why are we here?

Religion can answer that?? Holy crap the biggest question of all has been answered!

Come on, don't hold out on us...what is the answer? Why are we here?

Robert.Evans

Just listen to any of the videos in which Krauss or Dawkins are interviewed. These high-calibre scientists claim that science can prove that God's existence is unlikely. The idea of falsifiability has not been shown to be inadequate by anyone. Some have criticized it, but no one has proven it wrong or inadequate. Regarding the statements that I have presented as unfalsifiable, you cannot demonstrate they are true or that they are false. You may prove that your cat is yellow, but you cannot prove that your cat ought to have been yellow. You cannot prove or disprove any claim about how tall I would have been if I had been born in Nigeria. Come on, man, are you even serious? Tell me how tall I would have been if I had been born in South Africa. LOL.
Dawkins has a well paid hobby that fools many and, it seems, Krauss has decided to join that gravytrain. Better than collecting stamps for an old aged pensioner I suppose.

jonathan180iq

True, but if I claim the Rhinoceros Men from Atlantis are going to wash my car overnight, and I open my garage tomorrow and the car is not washed, I can disprove my claim about what the Rhinoceros Men will do.

You can't disprove God but you can disprove a large number of claims that are made about God's actions and behaviors.
Exactly - You can't disprove the Rhinoceros Men from Atlantis, but you can certainly disprove their ability to actually affect your daily life.

Like when I prayed for God to save all the innocent lives of hungry children yesterday - I prayed, yet thousands of people have died in the last 24 hours of something as simple as starvation...
I didn't disprove God's existence. But I did disprove his ability (or desire) to save starving children from death.

Robert.Evans

Science can't answer the question "does God (god/gods) exist?" In that sense, you're right.

However, other questions are squarely within the domain of science, such as "is there physical evidence that gods have measurable effects?" and "does the evidence justify accepting a particular god-claim as true?"

BTW: when you were studying the philosophy of science, do you remember what you learned about whether unfalsifiable claims should be accepted? (Hint: the answer is "no")
But as God says you will find no evidence of me, then it is unlikley that they would find any PHYSICAL evidence of something METAPHYSICAL anyway.

It is a stupid argument to think that if we, mere man, look real hard, we would see some toe sticking out from below a curtain....because that is effectively what they are doing.

Demonslayer

Like when I prayed for God to save all the innocent lives of hungry children yesterday - I prayed, yet thousands of people have died in the last 24 hours of something as simple as starvation...
I didn't disprove God's existence. But I did disprove his ability (or desire) to save starving children from death.

It's funny how the exact same percentage of people die from cancer when they pray to be cured, as do people who don't pray to be cured.

Demonslayer

It is a stupid argument to think that if we, mere man, look real hard, we would see some toe sticking out from below a curtain.

I was execting this guy...

Monty_python_god_animation_talking_.png

Robert.Evans

Exactly - You can't disprove the Rhinoceros Men from Atlantis, but you can certainly disprove their ability to actually affect your daily life.

That is a lame argument though. Do you seriously think he can stop the world turning for you?
Consciousness evolves how it does...we are part of it. And the God of this aeon will not listen to those not close to him.

Robert.Evans

I thought you were suggesting religion could answer those kinds of quesitons.

If neither religion nor science can answer those 'childlike questions' why did you bother to point out that science can't?
Whether mainstream religion can answer it I don't know. It is a long complex answer, but in short, we are here because we wish to be free and in doing do, through suffering, we will be made complete. What you talk about is what you are... it has a vested interest in this universe, it is part of its own Self

Demonslayer

Nothing funny about it. The OT explains it fully.

Before or after it explains the morality surrounding the beating of your slaves? ;)

Regarding prayer, I know what you're going to say...the OT tells us we're not supposed to pray for material things, that God doesn't act like a genie granting wishes. I've heard it before. But you must realize that a huge number of religious people claim their prayers were answered in this fashion, right? Everyone has a story about how they prayed to God and he healed their cancer (but never their severed arm) saved them from dying in the car accident, or whatnot. Russell Wilson said God told him why He made Russell throw the Super Bowl losing pass.

So all these millions of religious people every day claiming God answered their prayers to cure them of cancer...are they lying?

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...-to-him-and-explained-super-bowl-interception

s13ep

I can disprove God by the logic expressed in my 4Power Theory. If 1= God, 2=God's creation, 3=God's anti-thesis and 4=God's observer.

Why not use 1, 2, 3 and 4 in their purest form? {i.e. 1=thesis, 2=creation, 3=anti-thesis, 4=observer}.

In fact, using 1= God is, making into a 'point' {i.e. "."}, the meaning of 1, which, wordlessly, would not be a point {i.e. "O"}; and 1, wordlessly, is not 1, but rather more alike the adult-form that comes with a baby-form; composed of, four corners {i.e. "X" division of "O" into "4" (wisdom-of-"O")}.

Doesn't make sense, right?

In my theory there is still heaven and hell, and in the Bible they make use of the number '4', many of times. It led me to believe that the Bible was edited, and what was once 4 became "God". I'm thus more aligned with Atheists until Theists show some sense of good, and evil.