1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can religion be logical?

Discussion in 'General Religious Debates' started by Dream Angel, May 25, 2007.

1. Ryan2065

Ryan2065 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +174
    BS in math here (a real degree, not a joke)

2. Aqualung

Aqualung Tasty

Ratings:
    +604
    Pfff. I said it way before him, just more incoherently. :cool:

I'll be getting a BA in math.

I wish I could get a BA in philosophy, too, but school is just too expensive.

3. Ryan2065

Ratings:
    +174
    Huh? Mormons do math?
    :angel2:

4. adthelad

adthelad Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Scientology isn't based on faith!

5. Ryan2065

Ratings:
    +174
    Do you not believe a human is an immortal spiritual being?

6. lunamoth

lunamoth Will to love

Ratings:
    +1,628
    Religion:
    Episcopalian

What Aqualung is calling 'faith' in a logical deduction is actually the base assumptions for the logical argument. It seems to me that calling this 'faith' is stretching the meaning of the word beyond a point where it is useful. But maybe that's just me. :shrug:

7. adthelad

adthelad Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Well it depends on where you draw the line between fact and belief.

By the everyday definition - I don't believe we are immortal spiritual beings - I KNOW IT.

However if we're being very restrictive all I know for sure is that I have lived previous lives and not died when my body did.

8. Ryan2065

Ratings:
    +174
    And I know that you are wrong. If what you say is a fact and not a belief, you should be able to prove that I am wrong and you are right. I am pretty positive you cannot prove that you have lived previous lives and haven't died when your body did, therefore you believe this.

9. logician

logician Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +379
    Any religion that believes in impossibilities by definition is not logical.

10. Jayhawker Soule

Jayhawker Soule <yawn> ignore </yawn>
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +17,803
    Religion:
    Judaism
    Ah, the first tentative steps toward a circular argument.

(By the way, your statement is trivially true only in the case of logical impossibilities.)

11. Aqualung

Aqualung Tasty

Ratings:
    +604
    :p Apparantly really well, at that.

How so?

Side note: "useful" is a product of the fact that everything must be taken on faith. We have to use things that are "useful" not "proven true". We can never operate from the standpoint of "proven true", but must always operate from the standpoint of "useful".

12. Aqualung

Aqualung Tasty

Ratings:
    +604
    True dat. Something may seem causally impossible, but that doesn't make it illogical.

13. lunamoth

lunamoth Will to love

Ratings:
    +1,628
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    From Skeptic's Dictionary

14. HopefulNikki

HopefulNikki Active Member

Ratings:
    +23

15. Aqualung

Aqualung Tasty

Ratings:
    +604
    Okaaaay.... Perhaps you could post your own opinion as to what the problem is. I just don't care enough about the Skeptic's Dictionary to read that, but I would love to hear what YOU have to say.

16. Comprehend

Comprehend Res Ipsa Loquitur

Ratings:
    +414
    A degree in philosophy is a joke?

I am curious to know why that is since I happen to have a degree in philosophy too and I seem to be doing ok with my joke degree. ;)

17. Comprehend

Comprehend Res Ipsa Loquitur

Ratings:
    +414
    mormons happen to be a highly educated population. thanks for all the compliments you have been passing out though. :rolleyes:

18. rojse

rojse RF Addict

Ratings:
    +708
    No. I think that religion demands that it's followers leave such ideas as logic and science at home before heading off to church for prayer.

From a biblical perspective, Is it logical to say that the universe is six thousand years old when we can see stars ten thousand light years away? Is it logical to assert that the entire world was flooded, and have absolutely no idea whatsoever where those trillions of litres of water went to when the waters receded? Or that the ark built to save all the animals had only a male and a female of each species on board? What did all of the animals eat when they got off? Some of the rebuttals for these questions seem to be bordering on the farcical, except that they cite their explanations quite seriously.

I am sure that there are other people far more knowledgeable in their arguments about sections of the Bible than I, and I am sure that they will have a multitude of logical arguments regarding this.

Religion requires faith, and faith is believing in something that you cannot be certain of. What is believed is completely unproven, unscientific, and illogical.

19. Ryan2065

Ratings:
    +174
    No no, I meant the BS part didn't mean bull ****. I, for some reason, get that alot. :)

Fiance tried to do philosophy and she felt it was too hard... She's sticking with her psychology and english majors instead. I know it isn't a joke degree.

20. Aqualung

Aqualung Tasty

Ratings:
    +604
    Everything requires faith. There is not one thing you believe or know that you actually KNOW on anything other than faith.

I posted something above about illogical. You should read it, because you're basically reposting things I have already countered. It would help this debate progress if people didn't post the same thing and I have to post my exact same counters. You should adress my counter points instead.