• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can posts be deleted by poster?

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Read the rules but didn't see anything about it.
For a short period of time you can select to delete them, which will hide them from the public. Staff may still be able to review them. I think that over time deleted posts may be completely erased, however I don't know when and if, because it is a technical detail.

Generally no. In general you won't be able to delete your posts if they are older than 10 minutes or so. I'm not sure. Some times it seems like up to an hour works.

Your account is permanent, but you may request a name change by entering a request in the Site Feedback section of the site. The site retains copyright on all of your posted material within legal bounds, and this is in the sign up agreement.

shoran

I don't think it works.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-04-24 at 8.23.58 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-24 at 8.23.58 PM.png
    64.6 KB · Views: 1

shoran

Does it delete the post or the whole topic?
Let's say I want to delete the thread, this topic, not only a single post: how does it go?
I don't like to see my posts holding around for long.
I like to delete my activity log let's say once a week, deleting everything I posted.
Does this forum allow it?

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I like to delete my activity log let's say once a week, deleting everything I posted.
No. Moses posted the ten commandments here and they're still visible. One of the mods posted a pic of himself in his finest Speedo's two years ago and it still gets a laugh.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Let's say I want to delete the thread, this topic, not only a single post: how does it go?

Not in that form, no. Once you post, it stays (except for very unusual circumstances).

Moderators have the ability to remove posts from public visibility, but we tend not to do that unless there is a rule violation.

You can search threads that are years old. We appreciate it if you don't resurrect dead threads, though.

Last edited:

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

If you delete the first post in the thread, the whole topic is deleted.

Once you post, your posts are the property of RF. We do not permit deleting one's own posts as a practice.

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
No, however if the site owner wants to delete something from the site they may do so without asking your permission. Basically they have the rights to all content here. You retain the right to repost your content elsewhere, but RF retains the right to reproduce anything that you posted here. Rf also doesn't want you to copy/paste information to here, because that can cause copyright conflicts.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
No, however if the site owner wants to delete something from the site they may do so without asking your permission. Basically they have the rights to all content here. You retain the right to repost your content elsewhere, but RF retains the right to reproduce anything that you posted here. Rf also doesn't want you to copy/paste information to here, because that can cause copyright conflicts.

I have a related question. Years ago I accidently posted something borderline questionable legal wise. One of the RF members (not staff) suggest I asked to remove it. I asked staff..was it permenantly removed or did it stick around? Nothing illegal just liability and security issues (I can't bring up the topic...I think the rules had said once.)

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
I have a related question. Years ago I accidently posted something borderline questionable legal wise. One of the RF members (not staff) suggest I asked to remove it. I asked staff..was it permenantly removed or did it stick around? Nothing illegal just liability issues.
I don't know how deletion works. I think at first it is just hidden and then eventually is deleted, however I don't even know which admin does know.

What I suggest is make a thread about it in site feedback with a link to the post, and ask for it to be deleted and whether the site could also get rid of any ability to recover it.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I don't know how deletion works. I think at first it is just hidden and then eventually is deleted, however I don't even know which admin does know.

What I suggest is make a thread about it in site feedback with a link to the post, and ask for it to be deleted and whether the site could also get rid of any ability to recover it.

Since it's so far back, I wouldn't know. It could be just hidden. Id have to look through my thousand posts :(

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Users can delete their own posts, but we have a problem with users continuously doing this to avoid warnings or otherwise. If you start deleting all of your posts, that's likely going to be stopped.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I have a related question. Years ago I accidently posted something borderline questionable legal wise. One of the RF members (not staff) suggest I asked to remove it. I asked staff..was it permenantly removed or did it stick around? Nothing illegal just liability and security issues (I can't bring up the topic...I think the rules had said once.)
I have a related example. I could swear that it was this site, but it might have been another. At any rate the software was a bit dodgy at the time and double and even triple posts occurred at times. As a result I would regularly delete the repetitive posts.

Did the software change here so that one can no longer delete posts? I see that the delete button still exists when I create a post.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Users can delete their own posts, but we have a problem with users continuously doing this to avoid warnings or otherwise. If you start deleting all of your posts, that's likely going to be stopped.
Thanks. It appears we cross posted. That answers my questions.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
I have a related example. I could swear that it was this site, but it might have been another. At any rate the software was a bit dodgy at the time and double and even triple posts occurred at times. As a result I would regularly delete the repetitive posts.

Did the software change here so that one can no longer delete posts? I see that the delete button still exists when I create a post.

Couldn't be us. Our software around here is never dodgy. ;)