• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can overpopulation be the source of war?

danieldemol

Premium Member
Wasn’t sure where to put this one, but some fundamentalists believe that we should overproduce humans. It got me to wondering “Can overpopulation be the source of war?”

For example if there is enough oil for the population of the whole world for the foreseeable future why are we fighting over oil?

Could it be that some of our wars are driven by simple overpopulation?

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
If that is the case what should be done about that?

It would be a cold, ruthless world if everyone had to justify their existence to rulers playing God with people's lives.

Darkforbid

It would be a cold, ruthless world if everyone had to justify their existence to rulers playing God with people's lives.

Personally I'd gladly cut the world population down to around 3 billion

danieldemol

Premium Member

I think experience has shown in the west that education about the problem can lead to an ageing population which is a slow sign of reversal of the problem

ETA Our leaders currently are playing God with people’s lives, hence the war for oil

danieldemol

Premium Member
I don’t think anyone needs to, once the oil runs out and our industrial means of food production/distribution cease nature/war over the remaining scraps will take its toll.

Unless people have the balls to try nuclear energy on a much larger scale such as the new type of reactor Bill Gates team proposed which can run off the nuclear waste produced by the older style nuclear power plants

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Over population can lead to wars. Overpopulation will result into migration, and migration of people with different cultures, religions can create conflicts. With the rise in sea level, we are likely to see more of it, Bangladesh will not be the only country affected by it.

sooda

Veteran Member
Wasn’t sure where to put this one, but some fundamentalists believe that we should overproduce humans. It got me to wondering “Can overpopulation be the source of war?”

For example if there is enough oil for the population of the whole world for the foreseeable future why are we fighting over oil?

Could it be that some of our wars are driven by simple overpopulation?

Yes, Syria and Darfur are good examples.. Drought, over population, famine all contribute. Darfur was the old fight between cattlemen and farmers.

sooda

Veteran Member
I think experience has shown in the west that education about the problem can lead to an ageing population which is a slow sign of reversal of the problem

ETA Our leaders currently are playing God with people’s lives, hence the war for oil

What war for oil? That's not what Syria's about. Trump is stupid and playing games. early last week he said he was pulling our troops out.. "let them fight over sand dunes".

Then on Thursday after his 90 minute phone call to Putin, he said we were going back in to keep Syria's oilfields safe. Syria doesn't have enough oil for anyone to fight over and Assad has already signed over future oil and gas rights to Russia.

danieldemol

Premium Member
What war for oil? That's not what Syria's about. Trump is stupid and playing games. early last week he said he was pulling our troops out.. "let them fight over sand dunes".

Then on Thursday after his 90 minute phone call to Putin, he said we were going back in to keep Syria's oilfields safe. Syria doesn't have enough oil for anyone to fight over and Assad has already signed over future oil and gas rights to Russia.
Wasn’t that what Iraq was really about?

sooda

Veteran Member
Wasn’t that what Iraq was really about?

Not at all. Iraq was crippled by 2 decades of war, hellacious debt and sanctions..

This is KEY..

In 1997-1998 Saddam begged the US and UN to lift sanctions against the oil sector and let Halliburton come in and do proper reserve mgmt. before they were forever ruined. The estimated cost was less than 20 billion.

The Iraq war was for Israel and the dual citizen neocons.

The big lie in that whole mess was always that Bush and Cheney were oilmen.

Bush jr didn't know jack about the oil business and Cheney was hired by Haliburton to lobby his contacts in government to lift sanctions against Libya, Iraq and the Stans.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
So you’re Thanos?
upload_2019-10-28_19-22-43.gif

HonestJoe

War (and conflict in general) is a complex and varied thing, with all sorts of different causes, reasons and excuses. Any human population over one can create conflict but I doubt overpopulation alone would cause a war, it will generally be just one factor on an underlying influence to the direct causes.

Well nobody needs oil so the fighting is about want. Conflict over resources typically goes beyond fundamental need and in to wanting more, either to go beyond simply surviving or to have resources to exchange for different things we want or need.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
I'd favor a three child policy that'd sterilize anybody who has reproduced more than a few offspring; this would result in a sustainable human population size.