• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can Our Country Afford Barack Obama?

tomspug

Absorbant
Considering the current state of our economy, and the fact that we are still heavily burdened by military spending, can our country keep from plunging into more debt if Barack Obama keeps all of his current campaign promises?

A

angellous_evangellous

BWHAHAHAHAA

MUWHAHAHHAA

O make it stop!!!! :biglaugh:

A

angellous_evangellous

Considering the current state of our economy, and the fact that we are still heavily burdened by military spending, can our country keep from plunging into more debt if Barack Obama keeps all of his current campaign promises?

War is more expensive than anything that Barak would do, and he's going to do his best to end it. And, this war was essentially manufactured by a bunch of lies from the Bush administration and croonies in the intelligence community...

McCain on the other hand, will almost certainly have us in protracted war, perhaps even with Iran.

It's baffling to me that you would even ask this question. :biglaugh:

A

angellous_evangellous

It's also funny that the last Democratic President had a balanced budget.

HAHAHAHA
HAHAHAAHA
hAHAHAHAAHAh

tomspug

Absorbant
Barack Obama's Economic Policy Platform - Forbes.com

This is the extent of Obama's current fiscal policy: if there is something wrong with the country, don't worry. The government will pay for it.

Even a tax raise couldn't afford the kinds of things he pretends to KNOW will fix America. Perhaps pulling out from Iraq would help to pay for that, but I personally don't believe he will get us out as fast as he says he will.

A

angellous_evangellous

The last president had an economic surplus, not a balanced budget. Ha.

Boy, you really showed me.

Tom, there are some pretty significant reasons why Republicans aren't fantasizing about the good ol' Bush years - any of them - but instead are hoping that someone will bring the country back to the Regan golden era. Bush failed miserably in every conceivable way, which is why the Republicans did not take this election seriously. John McCain is living, breathing proof of this.

Ending the war in Iraq and avoiding one with Iran is the ONLY way to preserve our security and economy. We can't afford to keep spending $12bil a month on a pointless war (and why Republicans incessently complain about spending a tiny fraction of this on domestic issues is absolutely insane - they can't fleese a country like this ...HALIBURTON).

So the question in the OP strikes me as abundantly and remarkably stupid.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
The last president had an economic surplus, not a balanced budget. Ha.
Yup, and it took our current conservative Republican President a very short time to get us back in to record deficit territory, didn't it?

PureX

Veteran Member
Easily, because fixing our wrecked health care system alone would save us billions of dollars. And getting us out of Iraq would save us billions more. Changing our tax codes so that working people pay less of the tax burden will put more money in their pockets to spend within the economy, while price caps would put the brakes on run-away gas prices (he has not proposed this, that I am aware of).

Unfortunately, the republicans will fight all these changes every step of the way, so it will take some time for a democratic president to get them done. The good news is that as the republicans continue to fight these changes, the U.S. public will become more and more disgusted with them and remove them from office. The days of Rove's Republican Reich are over, thank God!

Troublemane

Boy, you really showed me.

Tom, there are some pretty significant reasons why Republicans aren't fantasizing about the good ol' Bush years - any of them - but instead are hoping that someone will bring the country back to the Regan golden era. Bush failed miserably in every conceivable way, which is why the Republicans did not take this election seriously. John McCain is living, breathing proof of this.

Ending the war in Iraq and avoiding one with Iran is the ONLY way to preserve our security and economy. We can't afford to keep spending $12bil a month on a pointless war (and why Republicans incessently complain about spending a tiny fraction of this on domestic issues is absolutely insane - they can't fleese a country like this ...HALIBURTON).

So the question in the OP strikes me as abundantly and remarkably stupid.

True, the Bush years have not gone well, but thats because Bush is only slightly to the right of McCain. He is way to the left of Reagan. The government has increased in size dramatically under Bush 2, but its not the foreign policy thats slowed the economy, its China's purchasing a larger and larger share of the worlds goods and all the available oil on the market, coupled with congress being complete idiots (approval rating 13%). PLUS the housing market fiasco, which the taxpayers are supposed to pay for. Add to this Barack and Hillary trying to outbrag each other on who will tax the rich the most, who will stick it to corporate america the most,....ummm, is it any wonder corporate america is getting scared and investing more overseas now? The dollar is weak and they are being told they will have all their profits seized by the govt if it goes above a certain percentage (meaning they will not be able to grow or guarantee profits to their shareholders).

Face it Barack is already destroying america just by his speaches. This economy is slowing down really just to find out whats gonna happen next. It will pick up again once there is certainty in the market, but if Barack is prez that certainty will be to doomsday. :angel2:

UnityNow101

Face it Barack is already destroying america just by his speaches.

Excuse me? May I ask which speeches you have heard of his and how they are destroying America? I don't know if you are serious about this or if you are just trying to get under peoples' skin. I can put up some of his speeches that would leave you breathless...Or atleast would have you saying that he is attempting to bring the country together...His speeches are anything but destructive. They are actually quite soothing and comforting to the ear, especially after 8 years of "uhh" and "umms" and "da-da-dumms."

tomspug

Absorbant
You people make it all sound so easy. Like, laughably easy. I really just don't understand how you think Barack Obama has ANY fiscal history to show that he can do things better. Just LOOK at his platform (for once, try not to let your hatred of Bush blind you). It has been remarked by his critics (in BOTH parties) that this is easily his greatest weakness.

Obama is having trouble winning over non-partisans because of this issue, and it is (in spite of your apparent vapid disregard of my bringing up this point) a legitimate issue that Obama will have to deal with in the coming election (only five months to go, btw). Just because Bush didn't balance a budget doesn't automatically make Obama a mathematician.

You do the math, then. Refute my argument by showing me which of Obama's proposed plans with GENERATE funds rather than use them (in other words, besides raising taxes dramatically). Go to his own website, even. This issue gets dodged, because everyone wants HOPE, but they want it for FREE!

We live in a country of balance. There are pros and cons on both sides of the arguments, and you people are so blinded by prejudice and obsession with this young, inexperienced poster boy that you've been conned into believing that government is simple. It's not simple, and the answers to the country's problems aren't something you can just fit into a slogan!

At least Hillary understood this, and none of you seem to know anything about John McCain, since your only criticism of him seems to be that he is Bush 2.0, which is wrong in about five million ways. Oh, right. He's not Obama, so he's automatically in the "like Bush" camp...

Dunemeister

You people make it all sound so easy. Like, laughably easy. I really just don't understand how you think Barack Obama has ANY fiscal history to show that he can do things better. Just LOOK at his platform (for once, try not to let your hatred of Bush blind you). It has been remarked by his critics (in BOTH parties) that this is easily his greatest weakness.

There are many aspects to a president's job that requires expertise. Must he have a background in all of them? Must he be an entrepreneurial financier diplomat social worker scientist general and all-around average guy (at least, usually guy, almost had a gal)? Of course not. We should elect presidents because they are generalists who have solid wisdom.

But honestly, the president matters, but not that much. He lasts at most 8 years. Of course, Bush has demonstrated that a lot of damage can be done in 8 years, but that was because Congress didn't do its job.

Having looked at his platform, but only briefly, I agree it's expensive. But if he can get the US out of Iraq, that's a HUGE savings. The US spends more per capita on health care than any other country. If that could be reformed, that'd be even more big savings. If the poor could have hope for the future and reasonable access to jobs that pay a living wage, that'd do even more. Dunno, tom, it seems like there are lots of things in that platform that could actually be something of a windfall.

That said, it's not my election and I haven't looked at the Web site in detail. However, I DO know that Obama talks about these things seriously but McCain doesn't. And don't delude yourself. Nobody expects anything for free. They just realize that anything, ANYTHING is a bargain after Bush.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
Beats the alternative.

John McCain,
November 2005:

"I'm going to be honest: I know a lot less about economics than I do about military and foreign policy issues. I still need to be educated."

December 2007:

"The issue of economics is not something I've understood as well as I should. I've got Greenspan's book."

And, of course, one major difference is that Barack is more likely to enlist qualified people to help him understand the options and make the right choices. McCain on the other hand, will have an administration run by lobbyists - just like his campaign.

I think eight years with a President who's as dumb as a stump is quite enough, so I won't be supporting McCain, thanks. :)

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony

Obama is having trouble winning over non-partisans because of this issue, and it is (in spite of your apparent vapid disregard of my bringing up this point) a legitimate issue that Obama will have to deal with in the coming election (only five months to go, btw). Just because Bush didn't balance a budget doesn't automatically make Obama a mathematician.

You do the math, then. Refute my argument by showing me which of Obama's proposed plans with GENERATE funds rather than use them (in other words, besides raising taxes dramatically). Go to his own website, even. This issue gets dodged, because everyone wants HOPE, but they want it for FREE!

We live in a country of balance. There are pros and cons on both sides of the arguments, and you people are so blinded by prejudice and obsession with this young, inexperienced poster boy that you've been conned into believing that government is simple. It's not simple, and the answers to the country's problems aren't something you can just fit into a slogan!

At least Hillary understood this, and none of you seem to know anything about John McCain, since your only criticism of him seems to be that he is Bush 2.0, which is wrong in about five million ways. Oh, right. He's not Obama, so he's automatically in the "like Bush" camp...

No more replublicans. They are a joke. They'll keep us in war and in debt all the while they're friends (big oil) keep sticking it to us and posting quarterly profits.

Hilliary has proven to be a liar.....Now what bullets was she actually dodging....PLEASE....!!!!! She's a joke too.

So who would you have us vote for??????

Obama, to me...and I can oly speak for me, is the better choice. Is he perfect or the be all to end all. Probably not...but he is a dang site better than what we have been presented with so far.

Wandered Off

Sporadic Driveby Member
True, the Bush years have not gone well, but thats because Bush is only slightly to the right of McCain. He is way to the left of Reagan.
Many conservatives hold up Reagan as the example of fiscal conservatism, and he had a great line about how government is the problem, not the solution. However, he accelerated deficit spending at unprecedented levels. He criticized Democrats for "tax and spend" but instituted an alternative of "borrow and spend" that is, IMO, worse because it shifts our debts to future Americans who had no say in how their money was already spent.

The fact is that both major parties are spending us to oblivion. The GOP talks a good story about fiscal conservatism, but the government's size, cost, and scope have increased under GOP leadership at levels Democrats could only dream of. Fiscally, the main difference between the parties is which programs to spend future generations' money on. I think a coherent case could be made that both parties are attacking future Americans.

The trouble is that the electorate does not have the political will to stop it. Apparently most of us want this, or else we would have put a stop to it long ago. The only party serious about reducing the size and scope of the federal government is consistently and roundly trounced every election and largely ignored.

We continue to elect more of the same and end up with the government we deserve. Unfortunately, future generations don't deserve it, but they get the bill.