• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can one religion ever theologically account for everything? (sic)

Frater Sisyphus

Contradiction, irrationality and disorder
As a Syncretic religious person, it's self-explanatory for me but....:

Do you believe that a (or, your) single religion can quantify universal truth, in a theological sense, or do you believe (like me) that religion in general offer (contradictory, which isn't necessarily bad) different perspectives on the same un-comprehendible reality* - Of God and the universe?

*In scale, not necessarily in principle.

I like exploring these kinds of aspects of religion, philosophy and science in depth, as I feel it helps me to learn more both about my own beliefs and pushes one out of whatever holes one may put themselves into, spiritually or intellectually.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
No. I think that religion is merely a tool for people. What one makes of it is entirely up to them. I don't personally see that as a bad thing, as one should explore and see what best suits them. But I'm not particularly orthodox to begin with so.....

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I see religions as being cultural. As culture changes, religion changes.

The Catholic Church has changed quite a bit since inception for example.

Also culture is diverse. Unless we unify into a single culture I suspect religion will also remain diverse.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
No. I think that religion is merely a tool for people. What one makes of it is entirely up to them. I don't personally see that as a bad thing, as one should explore and see what best suits them. But I'm not particularly orthodox to begin with so.....
Yeah I view it the same way. A tool suitable for interpretation and a personal way to help cope and navigate.

Like Buddhism, I view it as metaphorically a raft crossing a river, useful for the sojurn for which upon getting to the other side, it's discarded and left behind.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
As a Syncretic religious person, it's self-explanatory for me but....:

Do you believe that a (or, your) single religion can quantify universal truth, in a theological sense, or do you believe (like me) that religion in general offer (contradictory, which isn't necessarily bad) different perspectives on the same un-comprehendible reality* - Of God and the universe?

I like exploring these kinds of aspects of religion, philosophy and science in depth, as I feel it helps me to learn more both about my own beliefs and pushes one out of whatever holes one may put themselves into, spiritually or intellectually.

I believe The Dharma qualifies as an ultimate and universal truth. I follow it because it helps me understand my mental well-being. I feel it would help others too. If it were not universal (like math), it would not make sense. Kind of like following what you see as true for yourself but at the same time its not because it doesnt apply to life just your perception of it.

I disagree everyone's different perspectives are focused in the same "reality." Each person. Each religion. Each worldview. Each culture. All are unique in our own ways. Culture and belief are so distinct to each person and defines who they are personally that to say we both hold the same "inner" truth just because we both have ten fingers and want world peace would be depreciating each others personal relationship with a given faith or core values.

Im not syncretic; but, I find it alright -with the respect and understanding the ethics and core beliefs-of the religious and community to which your interest may lie.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member

Seems to me Jesus believed his religious teachings are what is religious truth for all.
So, his perspective is a comprehensible God of the universe.
Jesus did Not believe in a religious syncretism or a system of reconciling different belief systems because those teachings could Not be reconciled to the biblical, but making the secular blended with what he deemed as sacred.
As the peoples of ancient Babylon migrated away from Babylon they took with them their non-biblical beliefs and practices and spread them world wide into a greater religious Babylon or Babylon the Great.
That is often a reason why religion in general offers a different perspective on the same 'God'.
And that is also why we see so many similar or overlapping religious ideas throughout the religious world today, but still out of harmony with what Jesus taught .

In some instances people were threatened with fear to convert, thus causing a fusion or a mixing of beliefs taking hold but has never fully replaced biblical teachings as Jesus taught. So, what many are exploring is the continually evolving religious philosophies (Not of Scripture) but of mankind which rises and falls with what is popular by the whims of men.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
I agree with @SomeRandom as I believe religion is a tool to help enrich the lives of people, but I often think the universality of religious messages and subsequent texts are meant to be structural so that doctrine has meaning, and meant to help mitigate the open-endedness of what certain scriptural truisms mean. Hopefully that makes some sense.

Last edited:

Native

Free Natural Philosopher & Comparative Mythologist

In my opinion it is necessary to split the questions up in two parts:

1) The religious story of creation, which basically is similar all over the world, because: We all live on the same planet Earth; in the same Solar System; in the same Milky Way galaxy and in the same observable part of the local Universe. This is the story of creation which of course is equal for all humans.

2) The moral part of religion which deals with the basic human life and how we humans handle the nature in order to survive and thrive.

If I should recommend "one single religion", I would say "SHAMANISM", the earliest religious system in the World and based on natures rhythms and sustainable life in nature.

Native

Free Natural Philosopher & Comparative Mythologist
In a nutshell, what is this story (to your mind)?

As I wrote earlier:

We all live on the same planet Earth; in the same Solar System; in the same Milky Way galaxy and in the same observable part of the local Universe. This is the story of creation which of course is equal for all humans.

Most people think that the ancient cultural stories of creation deals with the creation of the entire Universe, but they deals specifically with the creation of our Milky Way galaxy and everything in it, including our Solar System.

This IMO is the stories of creation in a nutshell :)

Read more here:
List of creation myths - Wikipedia
http://www.native-science.net/index.html

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Yeah I view it the same way. A tool suitable for interpretation and a personal way to help cope and navigate.

Like Buddhism, I view it as metaphorically a raft crossing a river, useful for the sojurn for which upon getting to the other side, it's discarded and left behind.

Which is why perhaps religions have never appealed to me - there are other things, such as psychology, neuroscience, and evolutionary origins to explain things better. :D

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
For lots of people, their religion has answers for everything. Any question can be answered (to their own satisfaction, not to everyone else's) by looking somewhere within their own religion. Besides that, there are many questions that are irrelevant to the paradigm the person is in. That in itself is a very satisfactory answer to many.

PureX

Veteran Member
Religions are systems of behaviors based on one or several theological propositions. The theologies that I am aware of allow for a significant degree of mystery, and unknowing, on our part. Though they also tend to presume their god/gods to be the 'all-in-all'. So there is no singular answer to your question.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Or, one can order the pizza.

Enlil

Allah's servant
As I wrote earlier:

Most people think that the ancient cultural stories of creation deals with the creation of the entire Universe, but they deals specifically with the creation of our Milky Way galaxy and everything in it, including our Solar System.

This IMO is the stories of creation in a nutshell :)

Read more here:
List of creation myths - Wikipedia
http://www.native-science.net/index.html

So what are the key features of this universal story of creation? How did it start and how did it proceed?

tayla

My dog's name is Tayla
In my view, neither revealed religion nor any revealed spiritual path is a trustworthy source of truth about the structure and functions of the spiritual realm.