• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can one believe in God and Evolution?

danieldemol

Premium Member

I think the simple answer is yes. There are many people who believe in God and evolution.

A person may believe that it is an operation of the Will of God that the universe functions or for example that it is an operation of the will of God that the planets revolve around the sun, and yet we know that gravity causes the planets to orbit the sun. So does knowing of a natural means whereby a thing happens mean we disbelieve that it happens by the leave and permission of God? I think not.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Pretty sure the Pope accepts Evolution. Could be wrong about his theistic inclinations though, since I ain't Catholic, so what do I know.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

I think the simple answer is yes. There are many people who believe in God and evolution.

A person may believe that it is an operation of the Will of God that the universe functions or for example that it is an operation of the will of God that the planets revolve around the sun, and yet we know that gravity causes the planets to orbit the sun. So does knowing of a natural means whereby a thing happens mean we disbelieve that it happens by the leave and permission of God? I think not.

Yes. I don't know of many Christians who believe the creation story is literal. Many here, though, are not literalist. But as a whole, I don't see a problem with it.

The issues is some creationalist and believers in general don't know what evolution is.

Last edited:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I've known plenty of people who believed both in god and in "evolution", but not evolution in the key sense of something that happens without any direction from an outside source (such as a god). That's usually left to scientists to believe. And the two views have remarkably different consequences, not just for understanding the relationship of god to evolution, but for understanding evolution and its consequences.

David1967

Premium Member
Yes you can. I do. I think people need to stop telling people what they can and can't believe. At the end of the day a person either believes something or doesn't regardless of what someone else says. Evolution of life is backed up by an ever building science of evidence. Belief is backed by faith. Two very different things. In my life, one doesn't affect the other. And at this point in my life, I'm very content with that.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

I think all of it started with the silly notion animals are created after "kinds" and such with Noah's Ark.

CLee421

Bible believing-Face painting-Musical Momma
I investigated this at the time I felt I needed to. I went in totally open, wanting to know truth. I found reasons that lead me to believe evolution was not true.

I could copy and paste something I wrote but it's super long. Don't want to weigh anyone down. But I would be happy to try and discuss my reasons if interested.

What's important is believing God - that He is Who He says He is - and letting Him teach you.

Muffled

Jesus in me

I believe so. God created in seven days which means His creation evolved over those days instead of occurring all on the same day.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Pretty sure the Pope accepts Evolution. Could be wrong about his theistic inclinations though, since I ain't Catholic, so what do I know.

I believe you don't admit to being anything so I guess we will remain in the dark about what you might know.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Yes. I don't know of many Christians who believe the creation story is literal. Many here, though, are not literalist. But as a whole, I don't see a problem with it.

The issues is some creationalist and believers in general don't know what evolution is.

I believe in a literal creation.

I believe evolution is a collection of integrated theories. There is evidence of survival of the fittest although that is not always the case.

To me that is just limiting God to say that God could not have used evolution as the means of diversifying life - as a creative tool.

Yes, He could have, but according to the Bible, God created as the Bible tells.

But I agree in that it is possible that after creation, there has happened changes. For example, from 2 people we have very many different looking people. So, it is true that some differentiation happens. However, small differences in outlook is very different that all species coming from single species by mechanisms of evolution as the theory claims.

the difference between Bible and evolution is that in Bible, God creates different species. In evolution theory all species are by the evolution. They are not the same in any way, even if we would think Evolution is god, as many basically think.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I believe you don't admit to being anything so I guess we will remain in the dark about what you might know.
Umm I self identify as Hindu. On my freaking profile even. I have repeatedly stated that I accept evolution. What more do you need? Or was this a petty attempt to presume to "catch me out?"