• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can One Become Spiritual Alone?

Wornout

King Crimson
It my short time here I have read numerous threads and posts which has helped thus far with my stuggles ((POST).

Even though I am scared of the visions I receive, I cannot helping wanting to go back in...
My question is where does one begin to look at a spiritual path if they do not have others to speak with or even an understanding of where to look? And I really do not believe in GOD in the conventional sense. ;)

there are no 2 people on this planet that see the world in the exact same way.

i do not think that you need to define your religeous views. you onley limit your mind by defining your belief. just keep an open mind and question everything.

my 2 cents

SLAMH

I'd say that it is possible to start looking at a spiritual path while being in a state of loneliness. I believe that loneliness is the best condition for developing spiritual thinking. It does not have to result into pursuing a particular kind of religion, rather it will just guide and control one's actions and behaviours. For example, I look at love as being spiritual, not matter to whom this love is directed .

Wornout

King Crimson
I'd say that it is possible to start looking at a spiritual path while being in a state of loneliness. I believe that loneliness is the best condition for developing spiritual thinking. It does not have to result into pursuing a particular kind of religion, rather it will just guide and control one's actions and behaviours. For example, I look at love as being spiritual, not matter to whom this love is directed .

As much as I would like to, I doubt I will ever be anything more than I am now.
Your comment is appreciated.

LivingVisionExperiment

LivingVisionExperiment
This is a huge question. The more organized, institutional expressions of faith screw up and disappoint people, the more people want to retreat into their own individual expressions of spirituality. While I understand this compulsion to retreat into one's self, for me a totally solitary practice of any faith ultimately falls short. If one looks at spiritual people across religious lines over the centuries, there is a very clear and consistent movement from an initial fleeing from society to being compelled to go back "out there" to live the faith out in society. Thomas Merton comes to mind. I believe that we were made for community. Part of the Creator's design is for us to meet together, to pray together, to serve together. Such work is tough. Often a big part of me would rather do these practices alone too. But I need others to push and challenge me, to sharpen and spur me on to love and good works. In the end, authentic faith is not about belief; it is about action, life lived for the good of others. I have never been able to live such a life on my own.

Wornout

King Crimson
This is a huge question. The more organized, institutional expressions of faith screw up and disappoint people, the more people want to retreat into their own individual expressions of spirituality. While I understand this compulsion to retreat into one's self, for me a totally solitary practice of any faith ultimately falls short. If one looks at spiritual people across religious lines over the centuries, there is a very clear and consistent movement from an initial fleeing from society to being compelled to go back "out there" to live the faith out in society. Thomas Merton comes to mind. I believe that we were made for community. Part of the Creator's design is for us to meet together, to pray together, to serve together. Such work is tough. Often a big part of me would rather do these practices alone too. But I need others to push and challenge me, to sharpen and spur me on to love and good works. In the end, authentic faith is not about belief; it is about action, life lived for the good of others. I have never been able to live such a life on my own.

I have shared what a day looks like when the visions/paranoia occur and was told via a kind PM that there is probably no one HERE who could help. He suggested scripture. Which is cool if I could UNDERSTAND IT...Been talking to my wife a lot as to how it happens and finding ways to stop it before it is full fledge. Her recc is to stop stating that I am not Christian, because it puts me in a state of FEAR immediately. She said that if I was not a Christian why would I be troubled with the visions, I would not care!!! No plan on how to precede. Will see my Dr Monday.(New DRUGS w/suck)
Looking for someone with knowledge in Christianity (NOT RIGHTWING BANGERS)to help see if I am or am not Christian. I loathe so much connected to Christianity, which helps to cause the inner struggles.

Wornout for Real Today

Last edited:

A-ManESL

One can try to look inside him/her and try to harmonize him/herself within and with the outside world. One can keep trying to focus all energy towards the goal of harmonizing (meaning being perfectly balanced) in all aspects as much as possible.

Regards

Wornout

King Crimson
One can try to look inside him/her and try to harmonize him/herself within and with the outside world. One can keep trying to focus all energy towards the goal of harmonizing (meaning being perfectly balanced) in all aspects as much as possible.

Regards

The fear from not being able to go as I am not worthy as a Christian always makes a devastating appearance in anything I should try that changes mental state. If I become to happy. bam it appears. You can imagine the use of stimulants and other recreational drugs. So I will probably be back on drugs that will not allow me think, again,

Skwim

Veteran Member
Wornout

Those who have had near death experiences have an interesting slant on the whole thing. HERE's a site chock full of information that may interest you.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
It my short time here I have read numerous threads and posts which has helped thus far with my stuggles ((POST).

Even though I am scared of the visions I receive, I cannot helping wanting to go back in...
My question is where does one begin to look at a spiritual path if they do not have others to speak with or even an understanding of where to look? And I really do not believe in GOD in the conventional sense. ;)

I would suggest reading up on as many religions as you get information on.
The internet CAN be an extremely usful tool in this type endeavor, however, you must needs be most diligent in paying attention to the source of the information.

Debunker

Your reference to drugs,unless your dr.gives these, tells us much. There is no help for you if you use drugs as an escape. Otherwisee,advice here is very good!

Wornout

King Crimson
Your reference to drugs,unless your dr.gives these, tells us much. There is no help for you if you use drugs as an escape. Otherwisee,advice here is very good!

I refer to "legal" medication as drugs. I have done my fair share of recreational medications/drugs as well as prescribed.

alone in terms of taking responsibility for your own past
WHICH I THINK INCLUDES PAST INCARNATIONS
AND EVEN THINGS BEFORE ONE WAS INCARNATED IN A HUMAN BODY
that is what you have to do honestly and individually
at first one might feel overwhelmed and alone
when one recognizes better one's own sins that have lead one to a fearful state
and also sees one's past possible senses of confidence and power
might have more often been delusions that came about from seeking self glory
and not giving proper acknowledgment to one's MAKER..

Rom 1:20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:
Rom 1:21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.

but in that dark night of the soul
is where one might come best to know the divine presence within yourself
and within each human soul...
is a matter of proper use of the conscience god has put in each heart...
and the loss of such proper conscience comes from one's own spiritual rebellion...

BUT AFTER TAKING ON INDIVIDUALLY ONE'S OWN CALLING
then one can know about
how to be fully attuned to the whole
and how one should
count others as more significant that oneself
IN TERMS OF how one serves life
not in terms of seeking self glory
but in giving glory to one's true maker
which has put the proper conscience in each heart
plus tho a mind and free will
to be responsible or guilty for using or not what has been given
but with proper discernment one knows one's full connection with all of creation
is to consider the needs of others before one's own
but to be careful that ego does not distort this
by way of such things as a false matyr's complex.....

Wornout

King Crimson
alone in terms of taking responsibility for your own past
WHICH I THINK INCLUDES PAST INCARNATIONS
AND EVEN THINGS BEFORE ONE WAS INCARNATED IN A HUMAN BODY
that is what you have to do honestly and individually
at first one might feel overwhelmed and alone
when one recognizes better one's own sins that have lead one to a fearful state
and also sees one's past possible senses of confidence and power
might have more often been delusions that came about from seeking self glory
and not giving proper acknowledgment to one's MAKER..

Rom 1:20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:
Rom 1:21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened......

When I see scripture quoted my ADHD kicks in and I do not read it... I am looking into ways of dealing with my spirituality, not a said religion. Thanks,
jorge