• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can it be done?

Ted Evans

Premium Member
* A hypothetical…there is a huge canopy that duplicates exactly the environment of the earth in its early stage. In this canopy is the best experts in the fields of cosmology, chemistry, biology, physics, mathematics, engineering, astronomy etc. and there are unlimited sources for any present day equipment desired. What could this group create without requiring billions of years, if anything?

* Discard my OP as it is poorly worded to convey what I am looking for and can be misleading as it is written.

A hypothetical…there is a huge canopy that is in a vacuum and in this canopy is the best experts in the fields of cosmology, chemistry, biology, physics, mathematics, engineering, astronomy etc. and there are unlimited sources for any present day equipment desired. What could this group create without requiring billions of years, if anything?

Last edited:

Ted Evans

Premium Member
Why the requirement of not taking the necessary time?
OK, since it is a hypothetical anyway, take all the time you wish. Please note that I have edited the OP as it was poorly worded. My intent is they have no access to anything outside of this canopy and only the necessities for their life is provided to them through tubes.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Great, can you provide an example and give some details as to how it could be done?
The revision to the OP has me a bit confused. Depending on what you mean by 'sources' which I take to mean an Earth-equivalent planet. With modern knowledge recapitulating the development of modern civilization could proceed the same way as history shows us. So my details are to take what we know about the development of civilization from the past and apply them with full knowledge of the goal and thus avoid dead alleys.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
They would probably find a way to escape using the tubes. That would be my personal priority in that situation.

Sanzbir

* A hypothetical…there is a huge canopy that duplicates exactly the environment of the earth in its early stage. In this canopy is the best experts in the fields of cosmology, chemistry, biology, physics, mathematics, engineering, astronomy etc. and there are unlimited sources for any present day equipment desired. What could this group create without requiring billions of years, if anything?

* Discard my OP as it is poorly worded to convey what I am looking for and can be misleading as it is written.

A hypothetical…there is a huge canopy that is in a vacuum and in this canopy is the best experts in the fields of cosmology, chemistry, biology, physics, mathematics, engineering, astronomy etc. and there are unlimited sources for any present day equipment desired. What could this group create without requiring billions of years, if anything?

Resources or just equipment??

What is the canvass made out of??

Are resources, assuming unlimited resources is the answer to question one, limited to unliving resources??

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Given enough time, energy, materials, and effort, they could build an absolutely fabulous strip club!

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
If they're in a vacuum or in an environment like the pre-biotic earth, my guess is the first thing they'll have to create is an oxygen generator......and pretty quickly too.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
They would probably find a way to escape using the tubes. That would be my personal priority in that situation.
I can't help but think there is an awesome video game here with a half-life flavor to it.

Maybe even Glados will be there once they put together the AI using a potato.