• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can I do the sign of the cross even though I'm not fully converted/confirmed yet?

BrokenOldWheel563

Hi everyone this is my first post.

I'm most likely going to start RCIA in a couple of weeks and the people who run the program gave me some pamphlets and stuff to read and in it it says that while learning about Catholicism it's a good idea to pray for help/guidance etc.

I haven't started praying or anything yet and was curious if I start to is it proper for someone that isn't confirmed yet to do the sign of the cross or is that reserved for after confirmation? I was baptized into an Anglican church as a child but I stopped practicing in my teens.

I hope it doesn't sound like a stupid question. Any help is appreciated, thank you :)

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Sure.
The sign of the cross is fine. But it seems odd, if you haven't started praying.

About the only thing you must avoid is sacraments. So, you aren't eligible for Communion.
At Mass, though, you can just go up with everyone else. Put your hand over your heart and lean forward a bit. Instead of Communion, the priest will give you a blessing.
Tom

BrokenOldWheel563

Thanks for the reply Tom.

Well I'm not praying because I'm not sure where I am spiritually at the moment, and I didn't want to do anything disrespectful or incorrect even if I'm not necessarily a believer yet. But I thought I'd ask on here first before I start the program in a couple weeks. I probably should have asked the RCIA teachers when I first met them now that I think about it, but I had so many questions on my mind at the time I must have forgotten that one.

I did go to a small weekday Mass to see what it's like with one of the teachers from the RCIA program, very calm and peaceful. But I have to admit the formality of it all will take some time for me to learn and get used to. :D

Thanks again.