• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

can I convert to judasim?

aboody

שלום
מה שלומך?

hi dear all? I need to know if I can to convert to judasim, provided that my mom was not a jew?

If it is possible I need some resources to learn about it?

regards,
Shaheen

aboody

I saw the site. It is good site. I feel it is informative.
Thanks alot my friends.
also, I have another question. is it important to learn hebrew? If it is. please guide me to site that gives tutorials like for elementary school children. so, it will be easy for me to learn it.
I already learned alphapet and some words. but it is not enough also I need to practice it to overcome vowl problems.

regards,
Shaheen

evearael

I'm self-taught... I learned from a Siddur and Torah, and help from my Jewish friends. My advice: pick up a copy of the Stone Edition Tanach. It has the English on one side and the Hebrew on the other.

aboody

thanks a lot. the first site is informative about day-day base life in judaism. and the second is good site also. It gives good information directly related to my qeustion. I thanks all of you.
I need hebrew tutorial site for child. with vocabulary for each letter and conversation. It is better with sound.

evearael

Is there a synagogue near you? Most of them have Hebrew and Judaism 101 classes. They will probably be able to point you in the best direction for learning materials, and be able to help with any questions. Going to services helps you to pick it up more quickly, too, if you so desire.

aboody

שלום

thanks guys. really u r helpful and I appreciate that.
I want to ask about my right if I converted to Judaism.
what is the difference between me and another jew that his mom is a jew?

regards,
shaheen

jewscout

Religious Zionist
it should be noted that the only universally recognized conversion is an Orthodox conversion...which is more than reading books and classes...it's about becoming part of a community and learning how to live Torah by being and watching people who live Torah.

there are no differences between one who is a ger tzedek (convert) and a born jew, accept for a few things, such as a female convert can not marry a kohen
tho these restrictions will not exist for the children of converts

in fact the torah commands that the jews are not to persecute, humilate, hate, or ostresize the ger tzedek

and for those who do i always bring up one important point....David HaMelech (King David) is the great grandson of a Moabite woman (who were enemies of the Israelites and HaShem said that they were not to be allowed into the Tribe for like 10 generations or something like that)
so that mean MOSHIACH will have the blood of a converted Moabitess running through his veins.....do you have a problem w/ that?

aboody

dear jewscout,
I did not understand this:
and for those who do i always bring up one important point....David HaMelech (King David) is the great grandson of a Moabite woman (who were enemies of the Israelites and HaShem said that they were not to be allowed into the Tribe for like 10 generations or something like that)
so that mean MOSHIACH will have the blood of a converted Moabitess running through his veins.....do you have a problem w/ that?

give me time to read and understand it.

regards,
shaheen

evearael

what is the difference between me and another jew that his mom is a jew?
There is no real difference. A convert has a Jewish soul just like someone born a Jew. I believe Jewscout is just pointing out that anyone who decides to "persecute, humilate, hate, or ostresize the ger tzedek" is out of line since the Moshiach will be the descendant of Ruth... a convert.

aboody

actually this question raised to me after I watch "FREE ZONE" a film by Amos Gitai.
One character who is picca her father was a jew but her mom not. After she came to Israel she discovered she is not a jew cause of her mother was not.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
aboody said:
actually this question raised to me after I watch "FREE ZONE" a film by Amos Gitai.
One character who is picca her father was a jew but her mom not. After she came to Israel she discovered she is not a jew cause of her mother was not.

for someone to be born halachically (by jewish religious law) jewish the mother must be a jew. Otherwise they are considered non-jewish by religious standards.

aboody what i was trying to convey in that bit on King David and Moshiach (which means Messiah in hebrew, sorry) is that even the greatest leader in jewish history and of the jewish future (the messiah) will be of the bloodline of a convert, so there is no real reason for a jew to not accept a convert, tho it does happen from time to time...but that's people in general.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
~Lord Roghen~ said:
ofcourse. thats notwritten in the trah by my uderstanding (though i avent looked into th talmud or tanakh)

if you are referring to the king david thing LR, you will find the geneology of that leads from Ruth, the Moabite convert, to David in the Book of Ruth contained in Tanach.