• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can I bribe anyone to help me with my algebra?

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
I have a test coming due and I'm really struggling with the questions. The only thing is that it's an online quiz, done over a number of days, and I don't want to cheat- I'm just having difficulty knowing how to perform some of the tasks. (It's as if my brain is resisting acknowledging how one goes through the process to solve the questions.) If I were to write the questions using different numbers, could anyone help walk me through the steps one would take in order to solve it?

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
I took algebra a few quarters ago, but I might be able to remember how to do the ones you need... if you post a few sample problems I could try. :)

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Most of the ones have to deal with probabilty and whatnot. For example, in this one, I'm trying to figure out if one would use the combination or permutation formula.
A signal is made by placing 4 flags, one above the other, on a flag pole. If there are 12 different flags available, how many possible signals can be flown?

At first, I thought it was permutation, because the order in which they're flown matters. Now I'm struggling to figure out if it's combination, since the flags could potentially be flown in any order.

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
Combination, and the answer is 12 * 11 * 10 * 9 = 11,880. That makes since when you think about it. With 4 slots, you pick one of 12 flags, the for the second one 11 flags are left, then 10, then 9.

IIRC, the formula is x! / (x-y)! in which x = the number of items while y = the number of positions.

Mercy Not Sacrifice

Most of the ones have to deal with probabilty and whatnot. For example, in this one, I'm trying to figure out if one would use the combination or permutation formula.

At first, I thought it was permutation, because the order in which they're flown matters. Now I'm struggling to figure out if it's combination, since the flags could potentially be flown in any order.

Does it say whether the flags are different or not?

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
It didn't say, but apparently they were different, as the answer was right. This is one class where I'm honestly happy if I've recieved even a passing grade!