• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can god

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Can God say, think, or do things that are not literally written in the bible and how do you know how he feels, says, and thinks that's not literally written and translated and interpreted?

Edit
For example, how do you know God told you to "Not cross that street" and you did and almost got hit by a car?

Last edited:

Lain

Can God say, think, or do things that are not literally written in the bible and how do you know how he feels, says, and thinks that's not literally written and translated and interpreted?

For example, how do you know God told you to "it cross that street" and you did and almost got hit by a car?

God can say, think, and do things not written in the Bible of course. It was never said in the Scriptures (except perhaps under the general statements of Him creating all things) that He would create me in particular, yet He has done it. Many other examples can be provided.

How people know a communication from God differs, and it is not obligatory (generally) to follow anything not in Public Revelation, and private revelations ultimately bind on the individual who receives them most directly.

All of that is just my opinion of course.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
New Can God say, think, or do things that are not literally written in the bible and how do you know how he feels, says, and thinks that's not literally written and translated and interpreted
If God is deemed omnipotent, then God can do everything people can do and more.
For example, how do you know God told you to "it cross that street" and you did and almost got hit by a car?
In Judaism, there's a concept called a Bat-Kol, a heavenly voice. My personal opinion is to ignore a Bat-Kol and make choices which follow established customs and Jewish law. This is because it would be impossible to distinguish between a divine voice and an audible hallucination.

Voice of God - Wikipedia

edit: Here's a better source: https://www.myjewishlearning.com/article/bat-kol-a-divine-voice/

Last edited:

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

I used to have conversations with God, not saying a did actually, but I believed at the time I did. Not often, maybe once every few years, God would have something important to say. Usually something more profound than to "cross the street".

I suppose if I believed God had told me to cross the street and I almost got hit by a car, I'd assume there was some higher purpose but it was never like that. Whatever God told/showed me came with very clear understanding.

There is a weird kind of certainty involved. This could be dangerous, some people who have done bad things believed they were doing what God asked them to do.

Anyway "God" never told me to do anything. God just provided a profound understanding I was lacking.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

Since I'm not a Christian the Bible statement does not apply.

Since I'm not a dualist but rather align with advaita, I see "he feels" is a dualist statement that I don't accept.

From a non-dual perspective, when the veils of my ego thin for a time, my higher self which is Divinity, informs my consciousness.

How do I know it's my higher self and not a lower motivation or a random thought? Trial and error. Intuition does not feel like an emotion or a lower urge. For one thing it's not accompanied by a surge of emotion. I can't really put it clearly into words, but maybe it's close to a quiet sense that something is to be done or not done.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

Those are good questions and thoughtful.

Yes, God does do things beyond just what is written in the Bible. For example, he may for one person say "walk on water" and for another translate a person from one place to another and yet not be a standard for all.

How do you know if God is speaking to you?

There are some steps that help but experience also is a great teacher. Like a puppy that responds to everybody's whistle yet when he is older only responds to his master's voice... he learns over time.

But one thing is a good plumb line... that being it will never violate what is already written. He won't say "kill that man and then marry his wife" as it violates His stance on murder.

When I had a day-dream while working at a grocery store, I thought of a process to share Jesus with the person stocking the aisle next to mine. It followed the scripture to "preach to every creature". As I played it out involving another person, it happened exactly how I thought It. Personally, and now from experience, I know it was God speaking through my thought process.

Some are more verbal.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member

I don't think anyone can ever know how God thinks or feels, as that would be akin to knowing the Mind of God.
I believe that the Mind of God is a complete mystery, not even the Messengers of God understand the Mind of God.
I believe we can only know what God has revealed through Messengers who reveal scriptures, which is the Attributes of God and the Will of God for any given age.

I believe we can speak to God but I do not believe that God speaks to us. We might feel like God guided us to do something or prevented us from doing something, but I don't think we can ever know it was God. We can only believe it was.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
You are welcome, and a good point about the NT (Titus 1:2; Hebrews 6:18 ) so, I'm looking at the OT at Numbers 23:19 any thoughts _________
It's an interesting conundrum. Can God speak false words if God chooses to do so... perhaps not. Is there anything else, in your opinion, that God can't do?

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
It's an interesting conundrum. Can God speak false words if God chooses to do so... perhaps not. Is there anything else, in your opinion, that God can't do?
Let's try that since God is from everlasting to everlasting - Psalms 90:2 - then God can't die. God can't kill Himself ________

Nimos

God can do everything according to the bible. Besides stuff like making a round square etc.

Most of the times, you will find that religious people will put limitations on God, which has nothing to do with what the bible say.

Matthew 19:26
26 - But Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”

Luke 1:37
37 - For nothing will be impossible with God.”

But often it seems that believers have to make excuses for why God doesn't prevent certain things, the most common excuse seems to be "free will". But even if that were true, it doesn't explain natural evil.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I don't know what God "can" do. I'd just like to see some evidence of anything that God "did" do. That would be a great start in trying to figure out what he's capable of.

I mean, if God made a rock too heavy for God to lift, that would tell us that God can do what is (so far as we know) logically impossible.

If God can heal so many diseases, as faith healers have claimed (without proof), then one must suppose that restoring a missing limb would be just as trivial. Hey, salamanders can do it, so surely God could do it for the guy who lost a couple of limbs in a "just war."

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
But often it seems that believers have to make excuses for why God doesn't prevent certain things, the most common excuse seems to be "free will". But even if that were true, it doesn't explain natural evil.
From my perspective free will is not an excuse, it is the reason why God does not prevent things that humans can prevent themselves. Why should God Just because God can do something why should God do everything God can do? Why should God prevent things that humans can prevent by following the teachings and laws of God. That does not make any logical sense.

I agree that God allows natural disasters and those are not caused by humans so humans are not responsible for any of those. Not only are there natural disasters but other things that happen to man that he is not responsible for.

“Some things are subject to the free will of man, such as justice, equity, tyranny and injustice, in other words, good and evil actions; it is evident and clear that these actions are, for the most part, left to the will of man. But there are certain things to which man is forced and compelled, such as sleep, death, sickness, decline of power, injuries and misfortunes; these are not subject to the will of man, and he is not responsible for them, for he is compelled to endure them. But in the choice of good and bad actions he is free, and he commits them according to his own will.” Some Answered Questions, p. 248

Man forced to endure them because God determines some of what happens to humans, that which is commonly referred to as our fate.

I do not consider natural disasters such as hurricanes, tornadoes, tsunamis, and earthquakes to be natural evil because they are not evil. Only humans can do evil by the free will choices they make and ensuing actions which are evil.

Nimos

From my perspective free will is not an excuse, it is the reason why God does not prevent things that humans can prevent themselves. Why should God Just because God can do something why should God do everything God can do? Why should God prevent things that humans can prevent by following the teachings and laws of God. That does not make any logical sense.

I agree that God allows natural disasters and those are not caused by humans so humans are not responsible for any of those. Not only are there natural disasters but other things that happen to man that he is not responsible for.
But humans can't do everything and some ain't able to follow the teachings. A child dying at birth is not really capable of doing it and if they are removed from having to do it. Does that mean that God is punishing the parents or how would you explain that through free will?

Man forced to endure them because God determines some of what happens to humans, that which is commonly referred to as our fate.
So again, is God throwing some misfortune on the parents, because I think you would agree, that in many cases the parents can't really be blamed?

I do not consider natural disasters such as hurricanes, tornadoes, tsunamis, and earthquakes to be natural evil because they are not evil. Only humans can do evil by the free will choices they make and ensuing actions which are evil.
By natural evil, one doesn't mean like "Me doing something bad to you intentionally", but more like, a person might loose their whole family due to something like that, maybe loose their child, mother or whatever and now they are forced to live with that. Given that a natural disaster is not connected to humans, but can still cause a lot of suffering and given that we as human can't prevent an earthquake or a tsunami. but God could, but chooses not to, its common to refer to it as "natural evil".

Sort of like you seeing a baby falling into a swimming pool and choosing not to help it, most people would label that as an evil act. You are obviously not the cause of the baby falling in, but simply choosing not to help, I would argue is evil, in the normal understanding of the word. Yet, when God chooses not to intervene, people do not consider it evil, which I find strange?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
God can do everything according to the bible. Besides stuff like making a round square etc.

Most of the times, you will find that religious people will put limitations on God, which has nothing to do with what the bible say.

Matthew 19:26
26 - But Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”

Luke 1:37
37 - For nothing will be impossible with God.”

Is there something positive God can do that's not written in scripture?

I find scripture limits God. In perspective, the Buddha's sutras are 7,762 individual of the Buddha's teachings, a lot more than scripture. So, I would assume there are some words of God that's not limited to the physical bible?

Firelight

Inactive member

Yes. God is not limited to just what’s in the Bible.

Everyone is capable of exercising faith in God, communicating with him through prayer, and building their own personal relationship with him.

You can learn how he communicates with you personally by meditating or listening during your personal prayers. That means, after you say your prayer, spend a few minutes being silent and concentrate on your thoughts and feelings. Notice anything new or different— warm feeling, clear thoughts, new thoughts, and the like. They may come subtly or distinctly. Keep practicing this everyday.

Also, read verses from the Bible and spend a few minutes pondering/thinking about what you have read. Thoughts and new understandings may come to you. Some of these thoughts and understandings may be coming from God. You have to decide and learn for yourself which thoughts and understandings are your own and which you believe may have come from God.

When I know a thought or a new understanding came from God, it came to me subtly, but very clearly. I know it wasn’t my own thought because it’s something I never would have thought of or could’ve thought of myself, and my own thoughts aren’t that clear.

Nimos

Is there something positive God can do that's not written in scripture?

I find scripture limits God. In perspective, the Buddha's sutras are 7,762 individual of the Buddha's teachings, a lot more than scripture. So, I would assume there are some words of God that's not limited to the physical bible?
Not 100% sure what you mean?

God can do everything that is not "impossible" such as making a round square. The bible's concept of good and evil is a bit of a mixed bag to be honest, depending on which parts you read, which is also why I think people struggle with it.

For instance according to Jesus, God is the only one that is good, and according to God he is the creator of everything that is good and evil, but he also despise evil. Also one of the commandments from God is that you can't kill, yet God kills a huge amount of people, but is obviously not considered evil. Because as stated in Psalms:

Psalms 145:9
9 - The LORD is good to all, and his mercy is over all that he has made.

So God give people what they deserve, because it is good for them... not really sure how that is suppose to work. Given that humans should have learned the difference between good and evil during the fall, yet our understanding seems completely off track in regards to what God does. So again its pretty confusing with a lot of different information being thrown around.

Personally, I think it makes most sense to look at the bible's concept of good and evil from the perspective of God. He decide what is good and evil and humans are basically wrong and don't understand it. At least that way you get down to one contradiction from what I can see, which is Genesis and that humans should have learned the difference between them. Which basically mean that everything God does is good and has a purpose, but obviously not interested in letting us know what it is, and also if one goes with that, one shouldn't complain about anything bad happening to them or the world, because its all part of God's plan.

But as an atheist, there is to many contradictions and the lack of explanation from God should he be real, is not something I find worth worshipping regardless, to be honest I think he is a bit of a monster. :)

In my experience from talking with people that do believe in him, is that he is good when needed and not to blame for anything bad, and that explanation doesn't really work with me.