• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can God Trust You?

linwood

Driving home from work yesterday I saw a sign in front of a Lutheren church that made me think.

"Can God trust you?"

My first thought was "That`s a stupid question, what need does the Christian God have for trust if he`s omnipresient?"

That led to me wondering if the Abrahamic God could even logically hold an understanding of the concept of trust.

He`s never had it, he`s never used it, he can`t experience the plethora of emotions that come along with it.

This then led to other concepts popping into my head that the Abrahamic God could`t have knowledge of...

Love (To love is to greatly value something, usually more than yourself)
Fear(Fear is a drive that kicks in when one assumes potential for self harm)
Commitment(The original sin and flood stories show Gods lack of commitment)
Empathy(Midianites and Cannaanites anyone?)

I then realized that the concept of the Abrahamic god is fairly close to the concept of a zombie.
Although, even he is apparently able to understand and experience some human concepts/emotions such as ..

Anger
Jealousy
Revenge

Thoughts?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Presuming the Xtian God exists, of course he can trust me.
He knows every choice I ever made or will make!
(It's not like I'd have free will in a system like that.)

linwood

Presuming the Xtian God exists, of course he can trust me.
He knows every choice I ever made or will make!
(It's not like I'd have free will in a system like that.)

That`s my point Revoltingest.

If he knows everything you have or will ever do think or feel why does he need "trust"

"Trust" is faith in something.

God needs no faith.

There`s another concept God can know nothing of.

Faith.

Oh..the irony!!!

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Were I to invent a god, I'd invent a more interesting one. I'd want a whole herd of gods, each with his/her
own superpower & failings. There'd be inter-god drama, god vs human drama....& booming stentorian voices.

A

angellous_evangellous

It's nothing more than a play on what we have on our coinage:

"In God We Trust"

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
I think as soon as I claim to know about God - at that precise moment I begin talking about myself.
I imagine trust is a human thing.

A

angellous_evangellous

Understood angelous.

It`s just food for thought.

What think you daddy?

Can the God of Abraham trust, does he need to?

You've provided more food for thought than the sign.

On possibly a more meaningful note, I was reminded of Jesus's teaching concerning taxes / money and spirituality:

"Render unto Ceasar what is Ceasar's and unto God what is God's"

The teaching perhaps in "Can God trust you" is "are you giving God what is God's?"

linwood

The teaching perhaps in "Can God trust you" is "are you giving God what is God's?"

Dammit AE if you make me go to that pastor and ask him what the hell he actually meant I`ll..do something!!
Most pastors don`t enjoy religious discourse with me.

However I still ain`t got an answer from you .

The source of my question aside...

Can the Abrahamic God as defined by mainstream theists "Trust"?

Can God have faith?

Does he even need to trust or hold faith in anything?

linwood

Give me 30 pieces of silver and a black Bentley, and I'll serve you the head of any god of your choosing on a silver platter.

Well, he definitely can`t trust you!

But does he need to?

Doesn`t he already know that for a price you`ll behead him?

He doesn`t need to trust you does he?

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Well, he definitely can`t trust you!

But does he need to?

Doesn`t he already know that for a price you`ll behead him?

He doesn`t need to trust you does he?
It didn't seem to save him in the first round. :sarcastic
heavenly intelligence gathering is obviously flawed.

A

angellous_evangellous

Dammit AE if you make me go to that pastor and ask him what the hell he actually meant I`ll..do something!!
Most pastors don`t enjoy religious discourse with me.

However I still ain`t got an answer from you .

The source of my question aside...

Can the Abrahamic God as defined by mainstream theists "Trust"?

Can God have faith?

Does he even need to trust or hold faith in anything?

I don't think that's what it is saying.

"In God we trust" does not mean that we are "trusting" God in the sense of faith. It simply means that we are placing a certain faith in the currency [that it holds its declared value] by an oath like "so help me God."

So inversely, "Can God trust you," speaks to your character, not God's. The reflection should be focused on us.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
If there's a god, I assume he's sharp enough to realize that people can be trusted to do what is consistent with their motivations and personalities. God can trust me, as he can trust anyone else in this regard - just as I trust other people in this regard.

linwood

I don't think that's what it is saying.

"In God we trust" does not mean that we are "trusting" God in the sense of faith. It simply means that we are placing a certain faith in the currency [that it holds its declared value] by an oath like "so help me God."

So inversely, "Can God trust you," speaks to your character, not God's. The reflection should be focused on us.

And this is what you believe is the focus on this statement in this Lutheran church?
How many Lutheran churches have you been to AE?

HOWEVER...You still haven`t answered my question.

Is the Abrahamic God as defined by the vast majority of westerners capable of "trust"?

It would seem that by his very definition he is incapable of such a thing since the thoughts/feelings required to even entertain it are properties he cannot hold.

Yes/No/Maybe?