• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can God Lie?

JoStories

You are expressing a hypothetical that cannot happen, since the true God would never want to sin.
Ho do you know this? That God would never want to sin? God, according to your faith created all and that would include good and bad ( I do not believe in evil). And while I respect that you feel that God is the 'true God' and that there is no other, I disagree. How else can you explain the plethora of faiths there are if one does not consider that God, as a concept, is unique to each culture. No one version is any more true than the other. There are just differing faces of the same God.

JoStories

Your question is malformed in order to spark debate.

God can lie, yes.

God does not lie. God will not lie. In that sense, He "cannot" but not due to incapability or limitation.

The difference is obvious.

You are capable of murder. Shall I call you a murderer?
All people are capable of murder under extraordinary circumstances. For example when my daughter was 8, she was brutally raped. A friend of mine who served with me in Viet nam offered to kill the man for me. I could easily have said yes and in truth, I wanted to. I chose not to as it goes against my beliefs. Regarding your assertion that God does not lie, I would disagree. For the simple reason that we are not enlightened enough to know the mind of God. To presume that one does is, IMO, arrogant. No offense intended of course.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Oh God lies quite often. He is the Father of all lies. God is the epitome of all attributes.

Except reproduction as he has never demonstrated true reproduction because the misogynous Christians tried to write women completely out of the bibles.

There is no confusion in my mind at all my friend.

Man is the epitome of reproduction and not some bestial God.

Yuk to having to use some species other than your own to reproduce.

This is just one of many things your God cannot do.

Regards
DL

1. He's not my god. I am an atheist.
2. I am still unsure why you think God "had to use some other species to reproduce". Is it not possible he has the capability to reproduce in whatever manner he likes, but chose to go the virgin birth route, for his own purposes?

You are making an unsupportable assumption.

I can communicate with people in multiple different ways. I can speak to them, I can send them emails, I can text them, I can write them letters, etc. You have only seen me communicate with people in one way: By typing posts on this particular forum. Does it make sense to assume that the only way I can communicate with people is by typing posts on this forum?

No. It doesn't.

Likewise, it doesn't make sense to assume that the God of the Bible can only reproduce this one way or that he had to reproduce that way. You only know that he can do it this way. You have no clue if he is able to do it in other ways.

NoX

Why would someone lie ? Because of fears. I dont think a God would be afraid of something.

Tumah

Veteran Member
Yes, he can lie, if only by proxy (which is still dishonesty): Now, therefore, behold, the Lord hath put a lying spirit in the mouth of these thy prophets, and the Lord hath spoken evil concerning thee. - 1 Kings 22:23

O Lord, thou hast deceived me, and I was deceived.
- Jeremiah 20:7

Jeremiah says "entice" not "deceive" in the Hebrew. The translation you used for that is mistaken.

mahasn ebn sawresho

Why would someone lie ? Because of fears. I dont think a God would be afraid of something.
God in Islam is lying to people !!!!!
When lifting of Christ into heaven
And replace it in another human being is the likeness of Christ ??
Here there is a large divine lie ??
Why mislead God humanity ???
I think it's divine biggest lie in history

JoStories

I have to disagree with you. There are times when lying regarding health status is a plus. For example, a person with cancer can and often does give up hope but if one tries to instill a modicum of hope by suggesting they can beat this fight, it can often lead to a varying mind set that leads them to fight more strongly and at times, beat the cancer. Or an elder with dementia, same scenario. While in general, I agree that lying is wrong and immoral, there are unique times when I have used that to the benefit of my patients.

Greatest I am

1. He's not my god. I am an atheist.
2. I am still unsure why you think God "had to use some other species to reproduce". Is it not possible he has the capability to reproduce in whatever manner he likes, but chose to go the virgin birth route, for his own purposes?

You are making an unsupportable assumption.

I can communicate with people in multiple different ways. I can speak to them, I can send them emails, I can text them, I can write them letters, etc. You have only seen me communicate with people in one way: By typing posts on this particular forum. Does it make sense to assume that the only way I can communicate with people is by typing posts on this forum?

No. It doesn't.

Likewise, it doesn't make sense to assume that the God of the Bible can only reproduce this one way or that he had to reproduce that way. You only know that he can do it this way. You have no clue if he is able to do it in other ways.

If bestiality is not something desirable, then God would have used a different method.

It makes no sense to assume anything about God. I agree.

That is why all the mainstream religions say he is unknowable at the same time as they lie to us and tell us all they know about God.

Regards
DL

Greatest I am

I have to disagree with you. There are times when lying regarding health status is a plus. For example, a person with cancer can and often does give up hope but if one tries to instill a modicum of hope by suggesting they can beat this fight, it can often lead to a varying mind set that leads them to fight more strongly and at times, beat the cancer. Or an elder with dementia, same scenario. While in general, I agree that lying is wrong and immoral, there are unique times when I have used that to the benefit of my patients.

That falls under mens rea, Latin for evil mind or evil intent.

No evil intent means that that is not really a lie. Some call them white lies because of mens rea. That term is fundamental to our form of justice and is quite a good idea.

Strange that God never mentions it.

Regards
DL

JoStories

That falls under mens rea, Latin for evil mind or evil intent.

No evil intent means that that is not really a lie. Some call them white lies because of mens rea. That term is fundamental to our form of justice and is quite a good idea.

Strange that God never mentions it.

Regards
DL
Well, perhaps it would be because in that time frame, the men who wrote the bible were being more general in scope and not trying to discuss the myriad levels of intent regarding lying. That may be wrong, and merely my POV on this but it would seem to me that there are quite a few topics in the bible that are similar in nature to this.

Greatest I am

Well, perhaps it would be because in that time frame, the men who wrote the bible were being more general in scope and not trying to discuss the myriad levels of intent regarding lying. That may be wrong, and merely my POV on this but it would seem to me that there are quite a few topics in the bible that are similar in nature to this.

True. It is not good at dotting the Is or slashing the Ts.

In fact, the theology it teaches is quite immoral.

You would think that Christians would notice.

Regards
DL

catch22

All people are capable of murder under extraordinary circumstances. For example when my daughter was 8, she was brutally raped. A friend of mine who served with me in Viet nam offered to kill the man for me. I could easily have said yes and in truth, I wanted to. I chose not to as it goes against my beliefs. Regarding your assertion that God does not lie, I would disagree. For the simple reason that we are not enlightened enough to know the mind of God. To presume that one does is, IMO, arrogant. No offense intended of course.

As for the first part, I'm so sorry.

As for the second part, Numbers 23:19.

Blessings.

JoStories

As for the first part, I'm so sorry.

As for the second part, Numbers 23:19.

Blessings.

Thank you. And as to your referring me to that verse, I would also refer you to it, except this time, from the Tanakh. Therein, the verse is quite differnent in that is says God shall not repent. Very large difference between repent: meaning to renounce one's short comings, which is this case would include lying, and lying itself.

JoStories

True. It is not good at dotting the Is or slashing the Ts.

In fact, the theology it teaches is quite immoral.

You would think that Christians would notice.

Regards
DL
As would I but I think they believe because to not believe would not only negate what they believe in but also remove where they find solace. Notice that when matters of faith are discussed and someone points out something that runs contrary to those beliefs, they will very often answer defensively, and sometimes respond very rudely. As I have said many times, if their faith were that strong, no amount of challenges would shake it. I can say that it has not effected my beliefs even once to be challenged, at least since beginning this more ubiquitous journey.

Greatest I am

As would I but I think they believe because to not believe would not only negate what they believe in but also remove where they find solace. Notice that when matters of faith are discussed and someone points out something that runs contrary to those beliefs, they will very often answer defensively, and sometimes respond very rudely. As I have said many times, if their faith were that strong, no amount of challenges would shake it. I can say that it has not effected my beliefs even once to be challenged, at least since beginning this more ubiquitous journey.

It is hard to have faith when you know that you are just following the family God and not a God that anyone actually chose.

Must believers are not believers at all and are just following tradition and culture and that is why they are not good apologists for their religions.

The Finns claim 95% of their numbers are believers yet only 4% ever go to a church.

I think that many religions have about the same attendance.

Regards
DL

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.
Peace be on all.
According to Holy Quran, God is Holy, does not have weakness:
[59:23] He is Allah, and there is no God beside Him, the Knower of the unseen and the seen. He is the Gracious, the Merciful.

[59:24] He is Allah, and there is no God beside Him, the Sovereign, the Holy One, the Source of Peace, the Bestower of Security, the Protector, the Mighty, the Subduer, the Exalted. Holy is Allah far above that which they associate with Him.

[59:25] He is Allah, the Creator, the Maker, the Fashioner. His are the most beautiful names. All that is in the heavens and the earth glorifies Him, and He is the Mighty, the Wise.

alislamDOTorg/quran

JoStories

It is hard to have faith when you know that you are just following the family God and not a God that anyone actually chose.

Must believers are not believers at all and are just following tradition and culture and that is why they are not good apologists for their religions.

The Finns claim 95% of their numbers are believers yet only 4% ever go to a church.

I think that many religions have about the same attendance.

Regards
DL

I agree completely. Having been a victim of that myself, I have seen the detriment it can cause. And it's one of the reasons that I believe no children should be subjected to religion until they have the capacity for abstact throught. I do think it's fine to teach the myths in story tale form, but not the fire and brimstone part of most faiths. My children were not taught they had to go to church and were told answers to any questions with simple and truthful, to the best of my ability, answers. Later, my daughter chose Lutheranism and my son chose a Pagan path. I don't think making a child go to church creates a believer in the faith but rather creates a person indoctrinated who really has never given religion or spirituality any real thought.