• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can God change his mind? in otherwords do things like christianity and Islam make sense?

Lorgar-Aurelian

The God of Judaism is more or less the inspiration or supposed to be the same god the Christians and muslims worship. See here is the thing that gets me about that. Why would God randomly start new religions?

Why is Christianity so different to Judaism?

Why would god allow 3 new religions to take place rather than just give the revelation all at once in one religion?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
The God of Judaism is more or less the inspiration or supposed to be the same god the Christians and muslims worship. See here is the thing that gets me about that. Why would God randomly start new religions?
How the hell should I know. I'm still trying to figure out why you endlessly start new threads.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery

Why would god allow 3 new religions to take place rather than just give the revelation all at once in one religion?
Ack, so simple. It isn't about some god. It's about some impressionable people who perceived something they decided was god - as if they were in any actual position to judge. :)

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member

The religions look different because of differences in time, culture and politics.

Lorgar-Aurelian

I learned here that I was supposed to. I guess it makes sense. They all have their own founder/prophets and books.
This is true, Mormonism is just as much a bastardization of Judaism as regular old Christianity so you know, may as well give it it's own thing.

Tumah

Veteran Member
The religions look different because of differences in time, culture and politics.
So what you're saying is, first culure in the ME was such as to bring forth Judaism. Then it changed significantly so as to cause Christianity to arise. Then culture backracked a bit and became somewhat more similar to the way it was when Judaism arose.

Is that right?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

I had it pegged that Judaism was soooo yesterday.

God gets subjectivity through them.

But anyway as far as all these religions go, all I see is that they were started around the words that these people supposedly delivered from God, by the survivors and successors, God didn't start them. And how can we be sure that God was the source of their insight anyway as the only basis for the claims of divine insight are made by themselves or their followers and epigones. And because it was their successors, there already is a second or third (in the case of Paul the Apostle) degree of separation.

Take for example the Nativity story of Jesus. Jesus himself was a baby so how would he have known except through what he was told. The story has all the elements of a story that a mother tells to a small child about how he came to be, and if it is wonderful it is because such stories are wonderful. Mothers have to keep their children entertained, and back in those days it had to be with fantastic stories. Many, many, mothers say that God brought the child. Is she going to really tell her son how she got pregnant? Many say their child is a king. In Nepal mothers call their boys their little Raja. Then they populate the stories with talking animals and angels, giving birth in a manger which may will have happened, kings and wise men, frankincense and so forth. I've watched mothers in villages in Nepal tell their children just such stories with all kinds of elaboration, and their children were enthralled and want to hear them again and again. Jesus's followers were simple men, the story was good, so why should they have not believed it? My feeling is that though the religions tend to be ruled by men, many of the stories they tell come from the mouths of the mothers of the prophets, which is why they touch all of us so strongly.

George-ananda

Premium Member
So what you're saying is, first culure in the ME was such as to bring forth Judaism. Then it changed significantly so as to cause Christianity to arise. Then culture backracked a bit and became somewhat more similar to the way it was when Judaism arose.

Is that right?
I'm not sure they are all so different after the BS is stripped off.

George-ananda

Premium Member
The BS being anything that happens to make them different?
Being a believer in religious syncretism, I would say 'yes' as the truth can only be One. It's just looked at from a different background and tradition.

I see religions as paths to a mountain peak but they start from various rather different looking places at the foot to the mountain. The spiritually higher up the mountain you go things start looking more similar. At the peak, they all shake hands.

Tumah

Veteran Member
Being a believer in religious syncretism, I would say 'yes' as the truth can only be One. It's just looked at from a different background and tradition.

I see religions as paths to a mountain peak but they start from various rather different looking places at the foot to the mountain. The spiritually higher up the mountain you go things start looking more similar. At the peak, they all shake hands.
That seems kind of circular. You believe all religions are essentially the same because if you disregard all the things that make religions different, they're the same.

George-ananda

Premium Member
That seems kind of circular. You believe all religions are essentially the same because if you disregard all the things that make religions different, they're the same.
As I believe there is only One truth, it is the ultimate goal of any spiritual person. It's just the path to get there evolved differently at the earthly level for different times and cultures.

Rick B

Premium Member
According to the Christian faith one of the attributes of God is that He is immutable. He cannot change. When it appears in Scripture that He changes His mind it conveys the idea that He had an ultimate purpose to fulfill in which He changed the circumstances to meet that end. In other words He does not change His mind but changes His way.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I'm not sure they are all so different after the BS is stripped off.
The BS being the supernatural parts.
Having ethical codes, rituals, life change traditions, comforting teachings, that is the sort of thing they have in common. Which Prophet is God's True Spokesman is what separates them, fundamentally.
Tom

The question presupposes that any of the three have anything to do with God? Or that any of the three have revealed any insight into the nature or being of God? While not denying the potential for that reality, I cannot imagine a true God willing to reveal anything to our species and finding it subject to several thousand years of theological reinterpretation along with schism, blood and perpetual disagreement. The very idea of God has yet to find form worthy of that ideal.

Rick B

Premium Member
The question presupposes that any of the three have anything to do with God? Or that any of the three have revealed any insight into the nature or being of God? While not denying the potential for that reality, I cannot imagine a true God willing to reveal anything to our species and finding it subject to several thousand years of theological reinterpretation along with schism, blood and perpetual disagreement. The very idea of God has yet to find form worthy of that ideal.
The fact that the transcendent God has revealed Himself in creation, in mankind being made in His image, and in written revelation is much preferred to an "ideal" found in the unbelieving, rebellious, darkened "imagination" of any person. Just because God has allowed humans to follow the inclinations of his own vile heart over these many millennia doesn't mean that He is not in control but demonstrates His long-suffering. However in His time the line will be crossed and mankind will be held accountable for what he has done with the revelation God has given of Himself of which all are left inexcusable.