1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can Gay's change?

Discussion in 'General Debates' started by Ardhanariswar, Jul 27, 2004.

1. Druidus

Druidus Keeper of the Grove

Ratings:
    +515
    Since sexual preference is determined through genetics, no, you cannot change it without gene therapy. And gene therapy doesn't really exist yet, in a full form.

2. Scott1

Scott1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +950
    I was not aware of this.... do you have any proof to back it up?

Peace,
    Scott

3. Druidus

Druidus Keeper of the Grove

Ratings:
    +515
    I'm not sure if I can find it but the gist of it (a research article on fruit flies) shows that by selectively breeding the flies for a certain gene, they can increase the homosexuality rate. You might try searching for "gay flies" or "homosexual flies". I'll try it now.

*Update*

http://www.stanford.edu/dept/news/relaged/961212behavgene.html

*Further update*

I'm not saying it's influence is 100%, as I believe that environment can play a role. For example, intelligence is estimated to be 90% genetics and 10% environment. There is no real proof of this gene in humans, but most likely the gene is there, as genetics shape the person we are.

4. Allan

Allan Member

Ratings:
    +2
    There may be a preference gene but children develop in huge bounds mostly before 3 years old with this tappering off as they get older.

A child tends to live in a world of first impressions and they are exploring pleasure as much as anything. Humans definitly connect at a higher level than just body language.

One person can effect hormonal, chemical balance in another by mentaly connecting.

I would think that the people or a person in the childs life were connecting and stimulating certain chemistry into action and making it pleasurable.

An unseen touch.

5. dolly

dolly Member

Ratings:
    +15
    It's either genetic, or it is based on the environment of the mother's womb.