• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can Confucianism be considered a religion?

GoodbyeDave

As I said a year ago, Confucius practiced the same religion as his contemporaries, as do his followers today.

The idea of a "Confucian religion" was launched by the Jesuit Matteo Ricci to try to split off the intellectuals, trained in Confucian philosophy, from the mainstream of Chinese thought, as a first step to converting them.

Theweirdtophat

Don't people go to Confucian temples to pay homage or pray or honor him? I wouldn't think it'd be a political philosophy. No one goes to Karl Marx to honor him or build temples to him

GoodbyeDave

Don't people go to Confucian temples to pay homage or pray or honor him? I wouldn't think it'd be a political philosophy. No one goes to Karl Marx to honor him or build temples to him
They aren't all that common, in fact. A book I have on the temples of Singapore is based on a survey of 100, of which only one is dedicated to Confucius. Don't forget that most Chinese gods are deified humans. Also, worshiping such a deity does not create a separate religion; I worship the Emperor Julian, but that doesn't make me a Julianist.