• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can Catholics receive Mormon Eucharist?

Lauren S

First off, I am not confident in my knowledge of Mormons receiving communion so please inform me. My friend (Mormon) and I(catholic) want to go to each other's church's to experience different types of religion. We have talked for hours at the differences between each other's and we both are fascinated. I will be going with them to their church(ward?) In a few weeks and I was wondering if it would be considered disrespectful to receive communion. If so, how can I politely refuse IT? Also would it be disrespectful for them as a Mormon to receive catholic communion?

Cooky

Veteran Member
First off, I am not confident in my knowledge of Mormons receiving communion so please inform me. My friend (Mormon) and I(catholic) want to go to each other's church's to experience different types of religion. We have talked for hours at the differences between each other's and we both are fascinated. I will be going with them to their church(ward?) In a few weeks and I was wondering if it would be considered disrespectful to receive communion. If so, how can I politely refuse IT? Also would it be disrespectful for them as a Mormon to receive catholic communion?

Only Catholics who have recieved the Eucharistic sacrament can take communion. But your friends can certainly walk up with their arms crossed at communion, and recieve a blessing from the priest.

Watchmen

Premium Member
Technically the Mormon sacrament is for baptized Mormons only, but no one will think anything of you partaking or not. If you choose not to partake then just pass the tray to the next person. I’ve attended mass a couple times. I’m a former Mormon and love mass so much more than a Mormon meeting.

EDIT: I should also add that if your friend is like most Mormons, her sole purpose for this “exchange” is to turn you on to Mormon beliefs and convert you.

Ellen Brown

Mormons practice "Open Communion", AND they do it every week, the way that everyone should.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
EDIT: I should also add that if your friend is like most Mormons, her sole purpose for this “exchange” is to turn you on to Mormon beliefs and convert you.
On the other hand, her friend may be like me -- "not your average Mormon," but rather someone who would just like to see people develop a greater respect and appreciation for other people's beliefs. Perhaps her friend will find Catholic Mass to be a very spiritual experience, as has been the case for me when I've attended.

Watchmen

Premium Member
On the other hand, her friend may be like me -- "not your average Mormon," but rather someone who would just like to see people develop a greater respect and appreciation for other people's beliefs. Perhaps her friend will find Catholic Mass to be a very spiritual experience, as has been the case for me when I've attended.
That’s why I said “most Mormons” and not “all Mormons.” I think you know you’re the exception.