• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can anything be separate from God?

allfoak

Alchemist
Shouldn't it be true that God encompasses all there is?
Would God be God if there was something other than God?
Is time and space separate from God?
Are we separate from God?
Is that possible?
The bible says we exist in the mind of God.
What does that mean?

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
Is that possible?
What does that mean?

I find it fascinating when someone points out something I completely miss and always try to learn that perspective.

Where in the Bible does it say we exist in the mind of God? I love the way you put it but I just can't think of the verse?

I believe God is beyond space, time etc but that His 'signs' are everywhere.

Tabu

Is that possible?
God is God because there is something other than Him , which is needy of Him.
God is the Purifier , Ever Pure , Ever Blissful, The Ocean(reservoir) of Peace , Purity , Happiness
Everything else gets corrupted , polluted and degraded, which cannot be the quality of The Supreme and thus it requires that He be separate from them , distinct and unaffected by them.
Without God there is no escape from the cycle of births , no liberation , no purification or rectification and no end to sorrow.

BrahmaKumari belief about time is that it is Cyclic , moving over a stage of descending from Golden age to Iron Age and restoration through God in The Confluence age.

About Space , it is composed of matter , and God is not matter.
Yes , we are separate from God

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Is that possible?
What does that mean?

The answers would depend entirely on what you believe and define the nature of God to be.
Most Churches believe God as being outside time and space. The Bible says little on the subject.
We can only use logic to decide where that thought leads. we have no actual evidence one way or the other.

allfoak

Alchemist
I find it fascinating when someone points out something I completely miss and always try to learn that perspective.

Where in the Bible does it say we exist in the mind of God? I love the way you put it but I just can't think of the verse?

I believe God is beyond space, time etc but that His 'signs' are everywhere.
Acts 17:28
King James Bible
For in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring.

Perhaps it is an interpretation but since i live by the hermetic philosophy i consider Spirit and Mind to be the same thing.
In Him can only mean within His Spirit/Mind.

allfoak

Alchemist
God is God because there is something other than Him , which is needy of Him.
God is the Purifier , Ever Pure , Ever Blissful, The Ocean(reservoir) of Peace , Purity , Happiness
Everything else gets corrupted , polluted and degraded, which cannot be the quality of The Supreme and thus it requires that He be separate from them , distinct and unaffected by them.
Without God there is no escape from the cycle of births , no liberation , no purification or rectification and no end to sorrow.

BrahmaKumari belief about time is that it is Cyclic , moving over a stage of descending from Golden age to Iron Age and restoration through God in The Confluence age.

About Space , it is composed of matter , and God is not matter.
Yes , we are separate from God
If God is not in everything then what gives life to everything?
Spring is only a week away from occurring here.
The abundance of life that is about to be made evident is not because matter is separate from God but rather intimately connected to God through us.

allfoak

Alchemist
The answers would depend entirely on what you believe and define the nature of God to be.
Most Churches believe God as being outside time and space. The Bible says little on the subject.
We can only use logic to decide where that thought leads. we have no actual evidence one way or the other.
Is not the use of logic desirable?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Is that possible?
What do you mean by "God"?

What does that mean?
How is the Bible relevant?

Jedster

Is that possible?
What does that mean?
I don't usually like using the G-word since humankind has developed so many different concepts.
My own concept is that existance is the only thing that was , is and will be, i.e. eternal.
@Aupmanyav puts it succinctly in his post above.

Kabir also expresses this well in this poem about 'the word',
Find the word, understand the word,
Depend on the word;
The word is heaven and space, the word the earth,
The word the universe.
The word is in our ears, the word is on our tongues,
The word the idol.
The word is the holy book, the word is harmony,
The word is music.
The word is magic, the word the Guru.
The word is the body, the word is the spirit, the word is being,
The word Not-being.
The word is man, the word is woman,
The Worshipped Great.
The word is the seen and unseen, the word is the existent
And the non-existent.
Know the word, says Kabir,
The word is All-powerful.

The Word Poem by Kabir - Poem Hunter

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
The substance underlying all that exists.
If that's what you mean by "God", then your original question ends up like this:

Shouldn't it be true that the substance underlying all that exists encompasses all there is?

Are you really just asking whether a thing that underlies something can encompass it as well?

The Bible is a holy book.
That makes it relevant.
If you say so.

allfoak

Alchemist
If that's what you mean by "God", then your original question ends up like this:

Shouldn't it be true that the substance underlying all that exists encompasses all there is?

Are you really just asking whether a thing that underlies something can encompass it as well?
Sure.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
allfoak said:
Is not the use of logic desirable?

The Greeks preferred to use logic. it was only when they added observation and experiment that science was born.

You can use logic using erroneous facts and come up with logical but with wildly erroneous answers.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Is that possible?
What does that mean?

Questions such as these are just going to solicit personal truths rather than a Universal Truth. Reason being is some people view God as immanent, while some view God as transcendent. Others don't even believe in a God. Additionally, there a many non-Christians on this forum that don't lend credence to the Bible or many of the stories therein.

Of course, if your intent is to get everyone debating their own personal truths with one another like monkeys throwing feces, then as you were.

Tabu

If God is not in everything then what gives life to everything?
Spring is only a week away from occurring here.
The abundance of life that is about to be made evident is not because matter is separate from God but rather intimately connected to God through us.
Other than The Supreme Soul , the individual souls are also ever living and imperishable , and are distinct from Him and are prone to changes,corruption and degradations and thus follow a cycle.
Whereas God is Ever Constant, Stable and Pure and the restorer of Nature.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
the Absolute would include everything known and unknown, or possible.

There would be something in addition to God; so there would be a duality and the two would make up the whole. if God is eternal, then there can be no other because God encompassess the INFINITE and is immeasurable. 2 would indicate relationship of contrast between one and another.

from our perspective it would seem so, but from something eternal's perspective it would be irrelevant.

some believe they are. They see God as outside of self and not apart of self. some see the ABSOLUTE as outside and within self.

Is that possible?
no because that is making self apart from God as great and equal to the Ancient of Days.

What does that mean?
that as a conception of the conceiver we exist as facets of the ABSOLUTE. that the form is plastic and malleable. the Form isn't permanent. the elan is permanent.

allfoak

Alchemist
The Greeks preferred to use logic. it was only when they added observation and experiment that science was born.

You can use logic using erroneous facts and come up with logical but with wildly erroneous answers.
I think it is possible to learn some things about God through the use of logic.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
The substance underlying all that exists.
तत्त्वमस्यादिवाक्येन स्वात्मा हि प्रतिपादितः । नेति नेति श्रुतिर्ब्रूयादनृतं पाञ्चभौतिकम् ।l

Tattvamasi ādivākyena svātmā hi pratipāditaḥ / neti neti śrutirbrūyādanṛtaṁ pāñcabhautikam //
Chandogya Upanishad 6.8.7

By such sentences as "That thou art," our own Self is affirmed. Of that which is untrue and composed of the five elements - the Shruti (scripture) truly says, "Not this, not this."
(You are not just a bundle of material, you are the whole)

Allfolk, you are that.

Another translation: Now that which is that subtle essence (the root of all), in it all that exists has its self. It is the True. It is the Self, and thou, O Svetaketu, art it. - Sage Uddalaka Aruni explaining to his son, Svetaketu.
But it is not a literal translation.

Last edited: