• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can Anyone Know Their Future

starlite

Texasgirl
I like this view....

God wants us to know that our planet Earth will never be destroyed.—Psalm 104:5; Ecclesiastes 1:4.

Humans will be ruining the earth when God steps in and stops them.—Psalm 92:7; Revelation 11:18.

We pray for God's Kingdom to come. God's heavenly government can cleanse the earth of wickedness. “The future of wicked people will be cut off.”—Psalm 37:10, 38; Daniel 2:44.

God says he will preserve individuals whom he approves, and they will flourish on a beautiful earth. “Take note of the blameless one, and keep the upright one in sight, for the future of that man will be peaceful.”—Psalm 37:11, 37; Revelation 21:3, 4.

And God lovingly explains in the Bible how you may gain his approval and how “you may succeed in escaping all these things that must occur.”—Luke 21:36; John 17:3.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
One of these days I really should read the texts of the Abrahamic religions, and not just snippets of it here and there. But there's too much to read, and I have a harder time motivating myself to study something that is lower on my list of things I find fascinating. That, and I'm not going to lie - I'm intimidated by them, because the language is archaic and I'll probably interpret things wrong. Or maybe not wrong, but I'd interpret everything from a Pagan, polytheistic, scientific, and mystical perspective that would probably be wonky and offensive and totally off-base with respect to what the religions derived from said texts would consider.

This coming from the girl who has read obscure texts on natural philosophy and the complete works of Agrippa from cover to cover. I feel strangely inconsistent. XD

What is it that you like about those passages?

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
I'm perfectly fine with the here and now. I don't need to know what what the future will hold.

If anything, that's what makes life exciting; the fact that we don't know what lies ahead of us.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I don't pretend to know the future due to the difficulties of dealing with the endless arrays of probability. That said, I do often play a game with myself, especially when tackling a new task by asking the future part of myself how it mastered the task. It certainly accelerates the process.

CynthiaCypher

One of these days I really should read the texts of the Abrahamic religions, and not just snippets of it here and there. But there's too much to read, and I have a harder time motivating myself to study something that is lower on my list of things I find fascinating. That, and I'm not going to lie - I'm intimidated by them, because the language is archaic and I'll probably interpret things wrong. Or maybe not wrong, but I'd interpret everything from a Pagan, polytheistic, scientific, and mystical perspective that would probably be wonky and offensive and totally off-base with respect to what the religions derived from said texts would consider.

This coming from the girl who has read obscure texts on natural philosophy and the complete works of Agrippa from cover to cover. I feel strangely inconsistent. XD

I've tried sharing those scriptures and others like it with Christian conservatives to show them the Bible's pro-environmental stance and how their politics actually defy what the Bible teaches and for the most part they refuse to listen. She is right, the Bible does have a pro-environmental stance, it is there.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I've tried sharing those scriptures and others like it with Christian conservatives to show them the Bible's pro-environmental stance and how their politics actually defy what the Bible teaches and for the most part they refuse to listen. She is right, the Bible does have a pro-environmental stance, it is there.
It's not exactly a huge surprise for a work that was authored long before industrialization occurred.

starlite

Texasgirl

I like these scriptures because they let me know that God notifies us of his will, showing us that he is not apathetic or coldly uninterested in mankind. Instead, he is actively concerned about our future.

Psalms 104:5 "He has established the earth on its foundations; It will not be moved from its place forever and ever."

Daniel 2:44 “In the days of those kings the God of heaven will set up a kingdom that will never be destroyed. And this kingdom will not be passed on to any other people. It will crush and put an end to all these kingdoms, and it alone will stand forever "

Psalms 37:10,11 "Just a little while longer, and the wicked will be no more; You will look at where they were, And they will not be there. 11 But the meek will possess the earth, And they will find exquisite delight in the abundance of peace."

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
"It will crush and put an end to all these kingdoms, .."
Since we are talking of future, do you think Christianity will survive in advanced Western countries till the 22nd Century contrary to the trends? Perhaps Christians will be found only in India, Africa, and Middle and South America.

seeking4truth

The future is a repetition of the past.
Until human nature changes history will always be repeated.
Maybe we might help ourselves by learning from it.

starlite

Texasgirl
Since we are talking of future, do you think Christianity will survive in advanced Western countries till the 22nd Century contrary to the trends? Perhaps Christians will be found only in India, Africa, and Middle and South America.

I think that Christianity will survive because everyone everywhere is being given the opportunity to learn what God has in store for the human family. Here are some statistics that support that thought.

If you click on the jw.org site as of 2013, we publish Bible-based literature in some 700 languages and distribute it in 239 lands. How does that number compare to other well-known sites? Consider: As of July 2013, the United Nations website was available in six languages. Europa, the official website of the European Union, could be read in 24 languages. Google supported 71 languages, while Wikipedia supported 287.

At jw.org will will find the Bible and Bible literature is translated into many languages that can be read by those of any ethnic background.

Last edited:

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I dream in present tense and future.
Don't seem to have very many visions of the past.

I dream of heaven.
I dream of people I know having gone before me.

As for this life....yes.
I've had things come around with alarming accuracy.
Some things immediate and dangerous....
Some things of no importance and trivial.

Most of my future sense requires no dream or vision.
I just look around me.
I take a deep breathe and say.......'oh well'.

starlite

Texasgirl

here's an example:
T-31_HI_md.jpg

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I have strong doubts anyone can predict the future other than just connecting the dots to guestimate what might happen next.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I have strong doubts anyone can predict the future other than just connecting the dots to guestimate what might happen next.

If it hadn't been for that car accident....I would agree.

But...I 'felt' it coming.
I responded.
Had I not done so I would have been ejected through the windshield.

Lots of details.....
Maybe you can just take my word for it.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
If it hadn't been for that car accident....I would agree.

But...I 'felt' it coming.
I responded.
Had I not done so I would have been ejected through the windshield.

Lots of details.....
Maybe you can just take my word for it.

I'm not much certain of much of anything, which is why I tend to hedge my bets. BTW, a similar thing happened to our younger daughter, which saved her life.

However, I temper this with another thought: "coincidence". So, which is it? How could I tell for sure which it is? Therefore, I keep my options open.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I'm not much certain of much of anything, which is why I tend to hedge my bets. BTW, a similar thing happened to our younger daughter, which saved her life.

However, I temper this with another thought: "coincidence". So, which is it? How could I tell for sure which it is? Therefore, I keep my options open.

ok for you....
But that one item was not so....incidental....so to speak.
I really did respond to the way I felt.
The scar through my lip is a permanent reminder.

Sure, and I understand some things are difficult to believe....
especially when it was so focused on the one person.