• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can any of the 10 Commandments be violated ever?

Saw11_2000

Can the 10 Commandments ever have an exception without being a "sinner". Explain yes/no. I will start.

#4 Some people work on Sundays. This is in direct violation of this commandment. Are they sinners?

#5 What if your parent was a child molester/killer something like that. If you dislike them does that make you a sinner?

#8 So anyone who shoplifts a thing of tic-tacs is in direct violation of this commandment?

#10 Is it wrong to want something that someone else has badly?

If these violations really do result in punishment from God, I know a ton of people that this will happen to.

Reactions: Pah

Fluffy

A fool
To be fair though, there are TONS of rules and commandments in the Bible that are ignored on a daily basis by Christians.

We should love our neighbour and therefore your examples for number 5 and 8 are definitely sins since they are covered under the second most important commandment as stated by Jesus.

The implication in number 10 is that this could lead to sin: emotion leads to anger which leads to the dark side etc. and is therefore a no-no. Obviously it is difficult to control our thoughts, God is merely asking us to try so that we don't fall down that road.

I'll get back to you on number 4 :D.

cardero

Citizen Mod
Can any of the 10 Commandments be violated ever?
They are usually violated and debased by many people daily.

saw11_ 2000 writes: If these violations really do result in punishment from God, I know a ton of people that this will happen to.
I have never met anyone who was punished by GOD for infringing these commandments.

BUDDY

User of Aspercreme
I would love to hear what our Orthodox Jewish members think of this question. As a Christian though, I will try to give you my take on it.

Can the 10 Commandments ever have an exception without being a "sinner". Explain yes/no. I will start.
As a Christian, I believe that the Old Testament law does not apply to me anymore. In other words, once Jesus set up a new way of living, he no longer expects us to keep the old law or the old ways. The way in which we are supposed to live can be found in the new testament, and even some principles of the old are mentioned (loves the Lord thy God, Love thy neighbor as thyself, etc.).

Lintu

Saw11_2000 said:

#4 Some people work on Sundays. This is in direct violation of this commandment. Are they sinners?

#5 What if your parent was a child molester/killer something like that. If you dislike them does that make you a sinner?

#8 So anyone who shoplifts a thing of tic-tacs is in direct violation of this commandment?

#10 Is it wrong to want something that someone else has badly?

If these violations really do result in punishment from God, I know a ton of people that this will happen to.
#4: only if you're an Orthodox Jew (and even then, it's friday-saturday)
#5: disliking your parents is not disrespect or dishonor
#8: since when is it okay to steal anything? even tic-tacs...
#10: i agree with what's been said that it's what happens when you want something too much that is the problem. Some may also say that it takes your mind off of G-d and too much on earthly things.

Saw11_2000

Well, I'm just saying things like stealing tic-tacs seems less harsh then sending a person to hell for doing so.

Lintu

Where in the vicinity of the 10 commandments does it say that a person will go to hell for not following them? Jews do not claim to know what happens in the afterlife. Is it in the Christian scripture?

Saw11_2000

How else can God punish you? And plus, if you kill someone I doubt that God will do anything besides put you in hell.

may

Rom. 10:4: "Christ is the end of the Law, so that everyone exercising faith may have righteousness." (Sabbath keeping was a part of that Law. God used Christ to bring that Law to its end. Our having a righteous standing with God depends on faith in Christ, not on keeping a weekly sabbath.) (Also Galatians 4:9-11; Ephesians 2:13-16)

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
PART QUOTE [Some people work on Sundays. This is in direct violation of this commandment. Are they sinners?]

This one always makes me think; because I help clean the house on a Sunday; hardly a cleaning day goes by without my saying "sorry, God".
But what of Policemen, Doctors, nurses, vets etc etc...............?:)

Fluffy

A fool
Okay so if the law no longer applys to Christians then why is it included in the Bible? It has been a source of much confusion and misinterpretation if what you say is true. The Catholic Church has quoted the law as a basis of certain beliefs on many occasions. Why would it do this if the law is now not applicable?

This is just a further extension of the argument "well you do this this and this you naughty naughty Christian yet it tells you not to in the Bible!!!?!??!???" To which the reply is often something along the lines of "This this and this do not apply to me because I only hold a certain section of the morals contained within the Bible to be true because the rest don't apply to this time or were overwritten by Jesus". This section is normally either the New Testament, or the New Testament plus the 10 commandments.
This one always makes me think; because I help clean the house on a Sunday; hardly a cleaning day goes by without my saying "sorry, God".
But what of Policemen, Doctors, nurses, vets etc etc...............?:)
Thats a really good point. Not working on Sundays is not merely impractical. It is also wrong if everyone were to do so since there would be noone to treat those who are dying etc.

How else can God punish you? And plus, if you kill someone I doubt that God will do anything besides put you in hell.
Purgatory? Don't forget that lovely little place. And besides, you are supposed to be able to be forgiven no matter what sin you may have commited as long as you are genuinly sorry. If you are forgiven then you don't get punished and you go to heaven not hell, even if you killed someone.

So you think it should be taken more in gerneral then instance by instance except for the major ones?
No I'm just struggling to try and come up with some sort of moral consistency for those people who believe that the Bible is the word of God inerrant without resorting to saying that they are wrong if they don't follow every little law to the letter.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
Saw11_2000 said:
First off Saw11_2000,
Your taking this from an exclusively Christian stand point...
For me, Hell, in the christian sense, doesn't exist. For our short comings we are punished but it is only temporary...like detention.
Also the Laws given at Sinai were for the Hebrew people, not for everyone. The Noahide laws are what pertain to the rest of the world, which are very similar to the 10 commandments, but are not as stingently "enforced" as the mitzvot for the Jewish people.

Scott1

Fluffy said:
The Catholic Church has quoted the law as a basis of certain beliefs on many occasions. Why would it do this if the law is now not applicable?
The explaination is too long to post here.... but you can read the full teaching about the Decalogue in the Catechism of the Catholic Church here.

Saw11_2000

I'm very confused. Even if you don't go to hell for violating these, do you get punished simply for working on a Sunday?

Scott1

Saw11_2000 said:
I'm very confused. Even if you don't go to hell for violating these, do you get punished simply for working on a Sunday?
We all sin..... every day, I imagine.
Not every sin is a mortal sin (one that if it is unforgiven will send you to hell)..... some are venial (still bad, but it won't send you to hell automatically)..... now this is how a Catholic understands sin.... there are many Christians out there who don't believe in sin at all.... so good luck trying to get an answer.... you're gonna get a bunch of different ones!

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
First of all, which 10 commandments? The 10 commandments in Exodus 20? Or the 10 commandments in Exodus 34?

Then there's the Hebrew, Catholic, and Protestant versions:
http://www.waterbutler.com/commandments.htm

Second, the 10 commandments were given to the Jews to observe. The rest of us are only expected to follow the 7 Noahide laws.

1. Not to deny God.

2. Not to blaspheme God.

3. Not to murder.

4. Not to engage in incestuous, adulterous, bestial or homosexual relationships.

5. Not to steal.

6. Not to eat a limb torn from a living animal.

7. To set up courts to ensure obedience to the other six laws.

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/Judaism/The_Seven_Noahide_Laws.html

robtex

Veteran Member
Lintu and Jewscout.....I thought that was the reason for the Talmud. To better understand the Torah. The Torah is an outline of G_d's law and the Talmud is the Rabbi's and communities understanding of it. From my understanding the Talmud's interpretation of the laws is very intricate...and much of the gray area is covered in there right?