1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can an Islamist party be truly Democratic

Discussion in 'Religious Debates' started by England my lionheart, Mar 5, 2011.

1. Bismillah

Bismillah Submit

Ratings:
    +365
    Religion:
    Islam
    Supposing we are talking about Sunni unity than it is not an ultimate concern, I do not believe it is possible to unite Shias without divine intervention (i.e the appearance of the 12th Imam).

I am confused. If these practices were performed by a secular government than they are democratic, but by a religion one they are not?

Why would they not be dealth with fairly? And are we just restricting ourselves to Egyptian governments?

What are the problems?

2. England my lionheart

England my lionheart Rockerjahili Rebel
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,372
    Religion:
    Atheist

3. kai

kai ragamuffin

Ratings:
    +1,147
    no neither can a Protestant or a jew can a shia be a Caliph? but wait ! what has that to do with a women or a Copt or a Bahia'i being president of Egypt? why are you keeping on about a Caliph ?

4. kai

kai ragamuffin

Ratings:
    +1,147
    Yep we give you that and i think we all know that but. A president?

5. Bismillah

Bismillah Submit

Ratings:
    +365
    Religion:
    Islam
    Unless of course they agree on an Ayatollah as a leader. But there are recent movements to try and incorporate the Jafari school of thought among the four other great maddhabs.

But specifically the process I listed is democratic no? In regards to women, there are branches and scholars who don't see gender as a barrier to become a Caliph.

In regards to non-Muslims, why would they even desire to become a Caliph?

Well let's discuss whether democracy is possible within an Islamist mindset my friend.

6. Bismillah

Bismillah Submit

Ratings:
    +365
    Religion:
    Islam
    "The Caliph is the spiritual leader of Islam. His whole existence and purpose is entertained with the religion."

Of course not.

or a jew[/quote] Of course not.

Interesting enough a Sunni would say yes, a Shia would say only a specific individual.

Because the title is "Can an Islamist party be truly Democratic " Is it not? We are not talking about a specific case primarily, but of an Islamist party. If we are to do this we must deal in the ideals of such a party, primary the establishment of a Caliphate. So we talk about the Caliph do we not?

7. kai

kai ragamuffin

Ratings:
    +1,147
    If we are not talking about a specific case then its a waste of time talking isnt it ?theres too many variables.

Can an Islamist party be truly democratic? yes if theres no discrimination regards political office.The Caliphate would come later , much much later.

8. England my lionheart

England my lionheart Rockerjahili Rebel
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,372
    Religion:
    Atheist
    I am being specific,i should have put Egypt in the title,the MB are saying a Woman cannot be President,the reason was given that a Woman cannot lead the prayer.