• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can An Atheistic Society Have A Monarchy?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
There's nothing in our dogma to prevent a monarchy.

Hmmm.....actually, we don't even have any dogma, so it's OK.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
To clarify: by atheist society, do you mean the same thing as a secular society?

A secular society is simply neutral on religion, so I would guess that an atheist society somehow actively discourages religious belief or something. I wouldn't want to live under that sort of tyranny and I'm even an atheist myself.

In any case, nothing about atheism contradicts with the centralization of power in an autonomous individual. If we took Plato's concept of the philosopher-king on some secular level I don't see any problems other than the normal inherent problems with monarchies.

I guess the only difference is that the King/Queen wouldn't argue that their right to rule is divinely mandated.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
While there is nothing in theory that says an atheistic society cannot be a monarchy, just about every monarchy in the history of the world has been supported by a religion.

Perhaps more telling, it seems that every hierarchical early civilization -- such as the Inca, the Sumerians, and the early Chinese civilizations in one way or another joined ruler and priest at the hip.

cablescavenger

I'm just wondering, since most kingdoms in the past have been religious states...
The UK has a monarchy and 40% of the population is atheist.
There is a difficulty in that the Monarchy is defender of the faith, which is Church of England (Christian). In other words the Christian church is written in to our constitution.

If we were to move to a secular society all the pomp and circumstance surrounding Royalty and Parliament would have to change.

Prince Charles has expressed that when he becomes King he would like to be defender of faiths.
This is significant because he is expressing a wish to pull away from protecting the Christian church alone.

Tathagata

Freethinker
I'm just wondering, since most kingdoms in the past have been religious states...

In some monarchies they believe they have the divine right to rule. However, it doesn't require religion to have a monarchy. There's nothing in the nature of a monarchy that is contrary to secularism/atheism. It makes sense that some people like to rule and have their sons and entire family rule with them. Not to mention I'm pretty sure there's been secular monarchies in history.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Not most, but all kingdoms have kings ( or the equivalent title)... that is what it means.

Kings no longer believe in divine right.

Not all Kingdoms have hereditary kings. Ireland elected their ancient kings, as did most Norse tribes.

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist
To clarify: by atheist society, do you mean the same thing as a secular society?

A secular society is simply neutral on religion, so I would guess that an atheist society somehow actively discourages religious belief or something. I wouldn't want to live under that sort of tyranny and I'm even an atheist myself.

In any case, nothing about atheism contradicts with the centralization of power in an autonomous individual. If we took Plato's concept of the philosopher-king on some secular level I don't see any problems other than the normal inherent problems with monarchies.

I guess the only difference is that the King/Queen wouldn't argue that their right to rule is divinely mandated.
As someone who is applying for graduate school in politics, I feel I have a small measure of authority to answer the question. Yeah, I am playing that card. The events we just saw playing out in North Korea - the succession of power from father to son, have all the trademarks of a monarchy. Yet, we do not label them as such in modern parlance. We generally use the term "dictator" to refer to such persons. So while the philosopher-kings and the Kims might have the same fundamental political powers, we distinguish them. The key concept I can come up with to distinguish them is the role of tradition. Kings and Queens have a sort of royal majesty, and sense of tradition about them. That is the basic dividing line, except that it is often more apt to judge it in shades of gray.

-Peacemaker-

.45 Cal

We just had one like twenty years ago. It was called the Soviet Union. Atheism was their "state religion". I'm pretty sure China is technically the same but I don't know if they're quite as zealous as the Soviets were

Last edited:

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist
We just had one like twenty years ago. It was called the Soviet Union. Atheism was their "state religion". I'm pretty sure China is technically the same but I don't know if they're quite as zealous as the Soviets were
Monarchies still need a line of hereditary succession. The Soviet General Secretary (Генеральный-Секритар ЦК СССР) was elected by the Politburo (Политбюро ЦК СССР). Many General Secretaries did not operate as a dictator. More like the President of a junta.

-Peacemaker-

.45 Cal
Monarchies still need a line of hereditary succession. The Soviet General Secretary (Генеральный-Секритар ЦК СССР) was elected by the Politburo (Политбюро ЦК СССР). Many General Secretaries did not operate as a dictator. More like the President of a junta.

Of course. I wasn't sure it was worth quibbling over the minor differences between a monarchy and dictatorship. How about North Korea? That is a dictorship with hereditary succession and a state religion of atheism

edit: nevermind, waitasec is correct that N Korea is more of a theocracy than anything else as the Kim Jongs are worshipped as Gods, especially the founder of the state

Last edited: