• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can all religions come together?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
We can certainly respect one another, there are many truths in other religions. Salvation, if it exists, would be vital, though, for all persons in all religions, right?
Depends what you mean by salvation. It's certainly not vital to being human.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
We can certainly respect one another, there are many truths in other religions. Salvation, if it exists, would be vital, though, for all persons in all religions, right?

This would be the good beginning for the argument that all religions are false including your own.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Unfortunate negative egocentric generalization of other religious beliefs who believe differently than your own .
I appreciate the ambitious wording, but I am fairly certain that there is no verb in there. As a matter of fact, that is the exact same wording that failed to bring a clear message the first time.

Shantanu

We work together for common aims and avoid controversial comparisons between theologies. Its important people feel welcome and affirmed that's its OK to follow their religion or not have any religion.

The Tamil society is trying to establish a temple for more mainstream Hindus that don't identify as Hare Krishnas and Sai Baba. Some of us are helping them with that project. The Buddhist groups are Tibetan and Thai.
It is a good society that you have got set up because its aims is pure and simple in fostering humanity.

sealchan

Would it be possible to unite all religions in to a discussion forum (physically place. not internet) to benefit the understanding of each others? Not to become one united religion, but to be able to respect each others?

Example what would it take for Christians to sit down with Muslims and discuss on a higher level then to argue against each others all the time?
Or for Buddhists to sit down with Jews to discuss?

Personally i think we can benefit from each others as human beings, not in the differences in the different religious beliefs

Doesn't the sheer diversity of Hinduism already model this?

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
I appreciate the ambitious wording, but I am fairly certain that there is no verb in there. As a matter of fact, that is the exact same wording that failed to bring a clear message the first time.

My answer does not change, and this response is a dodge.

It would be something of a litmus test for worthy religions, IMO.

There are quite a few wannabe movements that do not have a functional understanding of what a religion is supposed to be and are effectively deluding themselves.
Unfortunate negative egocentric generalization of other religious beliefs who believe differently than your own .

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
An advaitin of the type I am is no other than Brahman-Consciousness.

This response is incoherent. Regardless of the many diverse fallible human beliese of what 'I am' is. Your making an absolute claim as if you are God. Are you God?

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
It could conceivably be if you had given me something inteligible to try and parse, something to work with; you did not, so it can not be.

Wanna try again?

Incomprehensible response.

With correct spelling . . .

It could conceivably be if you had given me something intelligible to try and parse, something to work with; you did not, so it can not be.

Wanna try again?

Shantanu

This response is incoherent. Regardless of the many diverse fallible human beliese of what 'I am' is. Your making an absolute claim as if you are God. Are you God?
God and gods only exist in the living reality when one has not transcended what I call the jivatman(roughly body-life force and soul): in the absolute reality there is only satchitananda (Truth/Reality/Existence-Concsiousness/Awareness -Bliss). I am that.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Incomprehensible response.

With correct spelling . . .

It could conceivably be if you had given me something intelligible to try and parse, something to work with; you did not, so it can not be.

Wanna try again?
Keep your mystery. I will give it the deserved thought.

sealchan

My answer does not change, and this response is a dodge.

I have to agree with Luis...your point requires some missing words to be clear...here is my rewrite which I infer is what you meant:

Unfortunate negative egocentric generalization of other religious beliefs which differ from your own.

Not a sentence but a label which is more coherent (as was this).

sealchan

I don't think it is such a boast in the HIndu perspective to recognize an affinity or potential for being God.

There are two approaches to the mystery of God: one of familiarity and identity (Holy Ghost, mystical experience, etc) and one of servitude and remoteness (Yahweh, Allah, etc.)

Both are expressions of the full mystery of God as source of all.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Not a question of Hindus using a Baha'i Center, more a question of Baha'is letting them. In Ireland the Hindus use a community hall. Here we rotated houses before we rented a small room. In a neighbouring city the Tamil group used a room at another Hindu temple. In many places they've used somebody's basement or garage. So the Tamil community can flex to many circumstances.

The underlying current is always that the God(s) build the temple, not the people. People are just stewards of His plan. And in order to do that, worship has to commence right away. God simply can't do that unless he's beseeched, preferably daily. The groups that have thought outside of this ... that we build the temple, then invite God, have often failed, sometimes miserably. People are just unwilling to donate money, unless they see some sort of progress. So it grows like that. The temple I attend here started with the donation of a murthi, along with $20.

An essential expression of faith and our relationship with God is contributing to charity and our faith communities. It is something that almost every member of our community can do, even if it is simply donating a dollar a month. The importance of being willing to sacrifice our money for the greater good shouldn't be underestimated.

I don’t believe it really matters if a faith community owns a spiritual centre or rents. We all need to live within our means and for depending on the numbers in a community and the degree of sacrifice of its members, wise decisions need to be made about spending. If a sizeable number in a community make concerted efforts to live the life and have a vision of community building, then a spiritual centre becomes an inevitability IMHO.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
An essential expression of faith and our relationship with God is contributing to charity and our faith communities. It is something that almost every member of our community can do, even if it is simply donating a dollar a month. The importance of being willing to sacrifice our money for the greater good shouldn't be underestimated.

I don’t believe it really matters if a faith community owns a spiritual centre or rents. We all need to live within our means and for depending on the numbers in a community and the degree of sacrifice of its members, wise decisions need to be made about spending. If a sizeable number in a community make concerted efforts to live the life and have a vision of community building, then a spiritual centre becomes an inevitability IMHO.

That's true. Some Christian churches either in declining membership or in growing, do save space by sharing accommodations. But across widely disparate belief systems it would be much more difficult. A can't see an evangelical church sharing space with those 'idol-worshipping' pagan Hindus.

Personally, I don't like to see things like buildings really underutilised. although many Christian churches are only utilised a few hours a week.