• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can a person become a Reform Jew without access to a local synagogue?

Nerthus

Wanderlust
When I started to learn another language, I would listen to songs and with singing along to them, I noticed that my pronunciation was improving, then reading along with the lyrics made things so much easier. I was learning without really thinking about it.

Plus, there are some good Hebrew singers out there!

kiwimac

Brother Napalm of God's Love
I took Biblical Hebrew but you wouldn't think so & it's not the Alphabet, I find Greek comparatively easy but my Hebrew is truly, truly appalling.

Zardoz

Wonderful Wizard
Premium Member
Practice, practice, practice. Not a problem if you attend shul, but more a problem if, as the OP title says, you haven't access to a community.

Dena

When I started to learn another language, I would listen to songs and with singing along to them, I noticed that my pronunciation was improving, then reading along with the lyrics made things so much easier. I was learning without really thinking about it.

Plus, there are some good Hebrew singers out there!

I think listening to music is an excellent way to get yourself used to hearing a language. I listen to a bit of Israeli music. I find myself humming it through the day or singing the small parts I understand and remember. I need to find some more Hebrew music.

ZooGirl02

You know, I think I'd enjoy being a Reform Jew. However, the closest synagogue in my area is like 50 miles away. I could go there for a conversion ceremony but I certainly couldn't go there every Sabbath.

Zardoz

Wonderful Wizard
Premium Member
That's why Jews make sure they live near other Jews, I could not have moved where I did without a shul nearby (within walking distance) even if it was Reform and I'm Orthodox, it was my only choice.

ZooGirl02

That's why Jews make sure they live near other Jews, I could not have moved where I did without a shul nearby (within walking distance) even if it was Reform and I'm Orthodox, it was my only choice.

Ah okay. Zardoz, I hope this isn't a stupid question but what exactly is a "shul"? :confused:

Dena

You know, I think I'd enjoy being a Reform Jew. However, the closest synagogue in my area is like 50 miles away. I could go there for a conversion ceremony but I certainly couldn't go there every Sabbath.

You don't just show up for conversion. You spend a year or more learning, taking classes, attending services, etc. It would be annoying to travel 50 miles one way to do that so I wouldn't recommend it unless you REALLY want to be Jewish. I mean as in deep in your soul you are Jewish and you don't feel like you can live any other way. In that case I'd consider moving a bit closer too. Unless you love to drive. ;)