• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can a Pagan be Monotheistic?

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
It seems that every Pagan religion I've heard of is Polytheistic or Pantheistic.

And isn't Islam basically just Paganism in monotheistic wrapping paper? I mean it is different from the Christian and Jewish religion.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
You forgot Monist and Monoaltrous. Some might call these types of Monotheism :)

Revasser

Terrible Dancer
It seems that every Pagan religion I've heard of is Polytheistic or Pantheistic.

And isn't Islam basically just Paganism in monotheistic wrapping paper? I mean it is different from the Christian and Jewish religion.

And isn't Christianity just paganism in (fairly thin, at times) monotheistic wrapping paper? It's very different from Judaism.

GabrielWithoutWings

Christianity is a perfect synthesis of Middle Eastern monotheism and Mediterranean dying-and-rising fertility gods.

I wouldn't call it a Judaic sequel.

Comicaze247

See the previous line
Christianity is like a sequel to Judaism basically.
Actually, many of the practices of Christianity are taken from Paganism. It was done in order to make the Pagans of Rome more comfortable with the change.

For example, eggs and rabbits on Easter. They don't have anything to do with Jesus. They are ancient symbols of fertility.

Christmas. Jesus was NOT born on the winter solstice. He was born in Spring. The winter solstice is known as the day that the sun once again begins to triumph over the darkness (the days become longer again). Look up the sun god Mithras, the god that the Roman army worshipped that was born from a virgin, dies before the solstice, and rises three days afterward. Sound familiar?

Roman mythology was polytheistic, so the people worshipped many different gods who had different roles and aspects about them.
Christianity has many different saints who have different roles and aspects about them.

Christianity is VERY MUCH Pagan.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Can a Pagan be Monotheistic?

I've met a couple here 'n there, but I've found it to be somewhat rare to find a monotheist, excluding monistic and panentheistic and pantheistic types. :)

I think monotheistic Pagan sounds pretty awesome.

thetruth1

Over the years many Christains, Jews, and Muslims have had arguments over who are the real Pagans. (let us not forget about the Lairs going on about Plato worshiping some other God)You know there have been religions over the years that were monthiest that Christains, Muslims, and Jews all said were pagans. I think that there is not enough space for the real truth to be known on this page.

Allah is what the Muslims always called the chief god of the kabah. but yes the christains did keep some pagan customs. By keeping a custom does not by definition mean that you are worshiping an Idol contrary to a fools belief on a false hope.

some people try and cassify custom and ceremony as the same thing they are not. It is a custom for Catholics to have no meet fridays, this is not part of the Christain creed though. saying you are using a pagan custom is different than a ceremonies and I will tell you why. because they do not worship the name of the diety or express love to that diety. It is custom in France to kiss someone on the cheek, but it is custom in the United States to shake hands.:angel2:Most people misuse words from their meaning and put things into the contest of how they want things to sound this is not the right way to do things.
I will say that If you truly do not understand the what your God is or even how he is and our just going to rely on what you have always been told than maybe you should stay out of this argument. I will put it like this over the years people from every religion took wives from one another as well as various customs, so this is why I say their is not enough room on the page. :slap:

worship is The reverent love and devotion accorded a deity, an idol, or a sacred object.
b. The ceremonies, prayers, or other religious forms by which this love is expressed.
2. Ardent devotion; adoration.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Actually, many of the practices of Christianity are taken from Paganism. It was done in order to make the Pagans of Rome more comfortable with the change.

For example, eggs and rabbits on Easter. They don't have anything to do with Jesus. They are ancient symbols of fertility.

Christmas. Jesus was NOT born on the winter solstice. He was born in Spring. The winter solstice is known as the day that the sun once again begins to triumph over the darkness (the days become longer again). Look up the sun god Mithras, the god that the Roman army worshipped that was born from a virgin, dies before the solstice, and rises three days afterward. Sound familiar?

Roman mythology was polytheistic, so the people worshipped many different gods who had different roles and aspects about them.
Christianity has many different saints who have different roles and aspects about them.

Christianity is VERY MUCH Pagan.
I always thought he was born on the Feast of Tabernacles...

Antiochian

Rationalist

Some Pagans are in fact monotheistic. Some Pagans will say, like some Hindus, that the many deities are different aspects or faces of one ultimate higher reality, creator, whatever. The Church and School of Wicca considers itself monotheistic. Of course, it doesn't consider itself Pagan. :confused: I'd say most Pagans are duotheistic (most Wiccans/Witches), pantheistic, or polytheistic. Some are even agnostic.

Is Islam Pagan?? Oh, mercy! Let's see. Idols strictly prohibited. The worship of other deities strictly forbidden (unlike many Pagan religions, where you can mix and match). Nature worship prohibited. And I'd imagine that magic, witchcraft and the occult are also forbidden. Islam is hardly different than it's 2 older predecessors. One god, the supposedly only true faith, women have often been maltreated, unhealthy obsession with taboos over sexuality... No, Islam is definitely not Pagan...

Regarding Christianity, it is basically a mixture of Judaism, Zoroastrianism, and Paganism. Catholic and Orthodox churches are steeped in Paganism, of course won't admit it. Pentecostalism, with the speaking in tongues thing and the emphasis on healing and visions, totally Pagan/occult. Funny how people tend to be highly influenced by the things they condemn so loudly.

Antibush5

Neo-platonism might be up your alley then.
Also Odion, I'm sure that this person believes in a rather Roman view of the gods or is a Wiccan, where all the gods are equally valid and all of them exsist, so to him it just seems silly to want to worship one god.

kaknelson

Yes antibush5 is right. In my opinion all the Gods and Goddesses and the spirits deserve respect . My patron deity is Apollon but I offer sacrifices and pray to all the gods, always Hestia first.
I guess if one is a Wiccan or Kemetic one may have diffrent views but I really don't think it is possible to be dedicate yourself to one deity and call yourself a pagan. Imo that would be kind of selfish.