1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can a Christian support war?

Discussion in 'Religious Debates' started by nnmartin, May 6, 2012.

1. FlyingTeaPot

FlyingTeaPot Irrational Rationalist. Educated Fool.

Ratings:
    +737
    Religion:
    None
    There are no just wars. Wars involve killing innocent people. That is not just. And for the people who at this point would suggest that 'War is Hell' and there will be collateral damage, I put to you that this is exactly why wars are unjust.

2. Desert Snake

Desert Snake ️️️️️️️️️️Dragonslayer

Ratings:
    +1,697
    Religion:
    Praise the Lord

What about a country defending itself from attack? You don't think that is a "just war"?

3. nnmartin

nnmartin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +65
    and how about the pre-emptive strike?

Recently there was a thread about Hiroshima and the Enola Gay and whether it was just or not......how would this fit in with Biblical thinking?

4. FlyingTeaPot

Ratings:
    +737
    Religion:
    None
    That is still an unjust war, because the attacking country is being unjust in this case. Wars involve two or more countries. It is always unjust to one or more of them.

5. Desert Snake

Desert Snake ️️️️️️️️️️Dragonslayer

Ratings:
    +1,697
    Religion:
    Praise the Lord
    I suppose what I'm getting at is can you blame a country for defending itself against attack? Of course the war is going to be "unjust", that's sort of the default position of wars.

6. FlyingTeaPot

Ratings:
    +737
    Religion:
    None
    Two points
    A) I don't believe in the man-made construct of countries. This means that I don't think unrelated people should rally behind their "country" to defend itself from another "country".
    B) And ofcourse, in the world that we live in, it is obvious that I cannot blame a country from defending itself from attack.

And that is exactly my point. Wars by definition are unjust.

#46 FlyingTeaPot, May 7, 2012
    Last edited: May 7, 2012
  7. InformedIgnorance

InformedIgnorance Do you 'know' or believe?

Ratings:
    +237
    Of course a christian can support war (in general or in specific cases), the question is whether a christian SHOULD support war - in general, in specific cases, or according to various criteria... are there criteria identified in christian theology that might justify christians supporting wars? Certainly not by Jesus - but according to some of the other works? Sure; after all, only part of Christian theology is determined by what Jesus said and did.

8. Chisti

Chisti Active Member

Ratings:
    +42
    Exactly. Besides, the whole patriotic stuff is based on the accident of birth, which in itself is quite silly. You can't control or plan where you take birth, so being proud of something over which you had no control ... well, that's ridiculous.

9. kai

kai ragamuffin

Ratings:
    +1,147
    agreed.

10. Protester

Protester Active Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Yes, Banana Wars - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ,oil wars, etc. are wrong. Korea was a righteous war, If we hadn't gone in there all of Korea could have been like North Korea,:no: A lot of killing was stopped in the former Yugoslavia by the intervention.. I would have Rwanda should have been a French mess to clean up, and not an American one, but the French fell down on their obligations there. Can the U.S. clean up all the messes in the world or should it? I don't think so.

A short monograph on the topic, What does the Bible say about a Christian serving in the military?