• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can a Christian Get a Tattoo? What Does the Bible say?

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
It seems to me that every second person who goes by these days is sporting tattoos. Men and women with varying degrees of coverage...some people don't seem to know when to stop. :eek:

When I looked up the word tattoo and found that God's law prohibited his people from getting tattooed, I got to wondering what do people really think about this practice if they identify as Christians?

Lev 19:28:
"You shall not make any cuts on your body for the dead or tattoo yourselves: I am the Lord." (NIV)

"Don’t cut gashes in your flesh when someone dies or tattoo yourselves; I am Adonai." (CJB)

Since God's law specifically told his people NOT to tattoo themselves, do any of you think that he has changed his mind on this issue? o_O

Would it be OK for Christians to get tattooed and turn up to worship God like that? Is it a desecration of the body?

If we were to use a building to worship God and someone put graffiti all over the outside, would we want to use that building for worship as it is, or would we want to remove that defacement as soon as possible?

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
It seems to me that every second person who goes by these days is sporting tattoos. Men and women with varying degrees of coverage...some people don't seem to know when to stop. :eek:

Of course. It's a long, proud tradition in Northern European cultures. :cool:

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
It's fine. That verse is referring to the mourning rituals of the surrounding culture. They would rub the ashes of the dead into their skin and make quite a scene with their mourning and wailing. It would leave marks in their skin. Has nothing to do with the modern or indigenous practice of tattooing with ink. The word "tattoo" isn't even in the Bible, since it comes from Polynesian languages.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

When I looked up the word tattoo and found that God's law prohibited his people from getting tattooed, I got to wondering what do people really think about this practice if they identify as Christians?

Lev 19:28:
"You shall not make any cuts on your body for the dead or tattoo yourselves: I am the Lord." (NIV)

"Don’t cut gashes in your flesh when someone dies or tattoo yourselves; I am Adonai." (CJB)

Since God's law specifically told his people NOT to tattoo themselves, do any of you think that he has changed his mind on this issue? o_O

Would it be OK for Christians to get tattooed and turn up to worship God like that? Is it a desecration of the body?

If we were to use a building to worship God and someone put graffiti all over the outside, would we want to use that building for worship as it is, or would we want to remove that defacement as soon as possible?

That says "for the dead". Are there any context verses that prohibit decorative art knedded on the skin surface? Anything that relays the context that people who tatoo themselves are by the same means cuting themselves for the dead?

Tumah

Veteran Member
It's fine. That verse is referring to the mourning rituals of the surrounding culture. They would rub the ashes of the dead into their skin and make quite a scene with their mourning and wailing. It would leave marks in their skin. Has nothing to do with the modern or indigenous practice of tattooing with ink. The word "tattoo" isn't even in the Bible, since it comes from Polynesian languages.
The verse in Hebrew reads exactly like this:

And [a] laceration for the dead, [do] not put in your flesh. And writing of [a] tattoo, do not put in yourselves. I am G-d.

The first half seems to be talking about mourning rituals, that I agree with you. But the second half calls it "writing a tattoo", not lacerating ash into your skin.
The Biblical Hebrew word for tattoo is ka'ka' (קעקע) found in the verse quoted above.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member

That is why I quoted from the Jewish Bible. It uses the word tattoo.

OneThatGotAway

Servant of Yahweh God Almighty
You are correct that Yahweh God Almighty forbids his holy people to have tattoos. The Laws of Yahweh are perfect and Jesus fulfilled them but he did not do away with them. Fulfilling the law is teaching and obeying the true meaning of the parts of the laws that have been neglected, ignore, misunderstood, forbidden, or twisted. Jesus Christ himself said:
"Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill." -- Matthew 5:17 (NASB) The holy apostle Paul (Shaul) said: For the whole law is fulfilled in one word, "You shall love your neighbor as yourself." (Galatians 5:14; NASB)
The holy men of the Holy Bible held this understanding for thousands of years to forbid ALL body marks for any purpose. There is no reason for Jews and Christians to accept these marks in these last days now.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
That says "for the dead". Are there any context verses that prohibit decorative art knedded on the skin surface? Anything that relays the context that people who tatoo themselves are by the same means cuting themselves for the dead?

Perhaps the tattooing and scarring of the flesh were tied to pagan rituals that God told his people NOT to follow. (Deut 18:9-12)

Since Jesus was Jewish, would he advocate the practice? Would God consider it like graffiti?

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
The verse in Hebrew reads exactly like this:

And [a] laceration for the dead, [do] not put in your flesh. And writing of [a] tattoo, do not put in yourselves. I am G-d.

The first half seems to be talking about mourning rituals, that I agree with you. But the second half calls it "writing a tattoo", not lacerating ash into your skin.
The Biblical Hebrew word for tattoo is ka'ka' (קעקע) found in the verse quoted above.
Thanks for the info. I'm not an Orthodox Jew so it's whatever. :p

Tumah

Veteran Member
Do you think that God changes his mind on these things? If he didn't want his people doing that back then, would he approve now, do you think?
That seems like it would be a more general question about Christianity. You'd have to ask them about it.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
I guess. I don't really know much about the position of the other Jewish sects.

Based on that scripture, would you personally get a tattoo if you found them aesthetically pleasing? Would your Rabbi approve?

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Getting tattoos are not permitted by Jewish Law (as you quoted in the OP).
Thank you, that really affirms the position that Jesus would have taken then. So Christians would have to think long and hard before indulging in something they cannot remove.
I see so many tattoos with satanic motifs as well....not very savory association for a worshipper of the true God.