1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can 500+ Eyewitnesses Be Wrong?

Discussion in 'Biblical Debates' started by michel, Sep 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greatcalgarian

greatcalgarian Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +176
    As I said, if there are other independent witnesses, or written account of the 500 or 5000 witnesses during the contempary time, other than the repeated quoting of passages from the bible's collection of work by Paul, then the case is proven. If not we might as well believe Jerry's time-travel to messopotamia.:jiggy:

2. Scott1

Scott1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +953
    Give me a break... no one here is fooling anyone... even if there were 50,000 independant witnesses, there are some here who would discount them as delusional or biased.... AV, nice try, but try as you may, your "evidence" will never do any good without a conversion of hearts.

3. JerryL

JerryL Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +311
    So you believe I time-traveled to ancient messopotamia?

4. michel

michel Administrator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,657
    What does capitalizing Scripture do? Bring out posters that just wanna practice their typing skills?

5. michel

Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,657
    No, I agree that Napoleon was smarter than I thought he was.

6. michel

Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,657
    And that, of course, is your prerogative. As a Sola Scripturist, I shall remain true to my calling, and let those who need independent corroboration do what they must.

7. michel

Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,657
    I agree, Scott, thank you --- but I figured it was worth a try.

1 Corinthians 2:14 = BUT THE NATURAL MAN RECEIVETH NOT THE THINGS OF THE SPIRIT OF GOD: FOR THEY ARE FOOLISHNESS UNTO HIM: NEITHER CAN HE KNOW THEM, FOR THEY ARE SPIRITUALLY DISCERNED.

8. JerryL

JerryL Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +311
    You believe that 5,000 witnesses are wrong and I didn't travel to ancient messopotamia? Doesn't that make your belief of 500 based on "there were 500 witnesses" a lie?

9. Ryan2065

Ryan2065 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +174
    Again we go to the bibles credibility. Who is to say the bible is any more credible than any other books of religious decent? The correct answer to this is it is as credible as any other religious book.

10. EnhancedSpirit

EnhancedSpirit High Priestess

Ratings:
    +490
    I believe you were in ancient messopotamia, but it was not back in time, it was your former lifetime, one of many.:D

11. michel

Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,657
    Nope ... Paul was speaking in real time ... whereas you were using a Location-Selecting Dynameter to go back in time - (you'll get that in a minute or so).

Had you really been there, you wouldn't be misspelling it.

Paul spelled correctly.

12. Scott1

Scott1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +953
    What gave you that impression?

I was talking about atheists in general who resort to these kind of tactics.... but not you Jerry, I like you. If it was anyone else I'd describe it as a disingenuous steaming pile of doo doo. A person like this strikes me as the worst sort of pridful twit... someone who lives to attack others but does not have the courage to do it in a respectful way.... a person who lives in fear of their conscience and attacks others... but does not spend ONE SECOND posting in the education forums with an alternative philosophy.

500 witnesses, 5,000, 5 million... a person like this should have the courage to be clear... it is not a matter of documentation... but a fundamental disdain for anthing that the person can not verify with their 5 senses..... to make up ridiculous stories .... say for instance, being alive and viewed by 5,000 people in ancient Australia... to me is indictative of a way of live lived behind a wall of invective sarcasm and emptiness.

I would tell a person like this that at least I have the courage to stand up for what I believe... that I teach it with love and respect... I have the courage to admit that my faith is just that....that I don't have to attack other faiths to "prove" my own.... I'm not so concerned with 500 ancient witnesses, but the one that looks at me in the mirror.

So, continue on with your messopotamia story... I find it quite entertaining.... I just wish that at some point

13. Jayhawker Soule

Jayhawker Soule <yawn> ignore </yawn>
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +16,620
    Religion:
    Judaism
    Oh, my! Why not constrain your little ad hominem against all those who refuse to embrace your fables long enough to give us some reason why anyone should take Paul's word for anything. Perhaps then we can discuss various non-Abrahamic miracle claims to test the breadth and depth of your disdain.

14. michel

Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,657
    God endorsed Paul's words. That's good enough for us Christians.

15. drekmed

drekmed Member

Ratings:
    +26
    and how exactly did god do that?

16. michel

Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,657
    1. By calling the whole of Scripture, the 'Word of God'.
    2. By preserving it spotless.
    3. By transmitting it over the centuries into the AV1611.
    The very 1st word in the Bible is IN.

Middle word is LORD.

Last word is AMEN.

That's what the whole Bible is about.

Did you happen to see my post where I showed perfect balance in the layout of the OT books --- using just the content page?

17. drekmed

drekmed Member

Ratings:
    +26
    wasn't aware that god actually wrote anything in the bible, it is just men writing things they percieved as being from god.

it has been changed several times, this is covered in other threads.

this proves that it has been changed at least once

that is most likely only in the english translation, and it probably isn't by accident or divine influence

yes, read above answer.

i asked how exactly did god endorse paul's words, i dont see the answers you gave as being able to answer that, since it could be man endorsing paul's words.
    now if you said because god has spoken to you personally and told you that everything you read in the bible is true, that would be an endorsement.
    however, it has to be god actually saying these things, not a feeling you have about the accuracy of the feeling you had.

i guess what im saying is there is no way (besides god coming back, physically, and telling me, in front of many witnesses and video cameras, that paul was right) that i will think the bible is anything more than an old work of fiction. but if you believe god is all powerful, it shouldn't be much of a stretch for him to do just that. right?

drekmed

• Like Like x 1
  18. Scott1

Scott1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +953
    My disdain for what?

19. painted wolf

painted wolf Grey Muzzle

Ratings:
    +1,658
    one man tried to take advantage of White Buffalo Woman, and died as a result because she was so holy. Would a people admit to something like that if it wasn't true? Would they make something like that up? :cool:

This is the problem with the 'he said she said' argument... the my witnesses are better than your witnesses. Every religion has witnesses, playing the mine are better game is frankly silly. For every argument one religion makes another can counter with basically the same argument.:rolleyes:

wa:do

20. Jayhawker Soule

Jayhawker Soule <yawn> ignore </yawn>
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +16,620
    Religion:
    Judaism
    Your evidence?
    And that is precisely the problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.