• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Calyr Beliefs

Freedomelf

Someone recently asked me what Calyr Elves do and what they believe in, so I thought I'd post the beliefs and a sample of a sacrament for anyone who is interested. I'll use the second post to list the beliefs, then the next one to post the wedding rite. There are many other rites, and if anyone wants to see the others, just let me know. However, the Calyr believe that there is no "right" religion...each of us is meant to be something different, depending upon our own unique spirit. Calyr are not allowed to preach, since it would be wrong to convince someone who is meant to be another faith to change, so these posts are for information purposes only. I have a lot of people ask me things outside this forum, and I thought the people here might be interested as well. Thanks, Katy

PS I hold copyrights to these reprints. No plagiarism.

Freedomelf

[FONT=&quot]Calyr Beliefs and Advisements[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]God exists, loves and cares for mortals.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot](Note that the word “god” is both plural and singular in the Elf language. While most of the prayers refer to Heavenly Parents, some members consider God a single parent, and modify the prayers to suit their own beliefs. Interpretation, therefore, leads each Calyr on a different journey of faith.)[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Goodness forms the pathway to Lyesh (heaven); evil forms the pathway to Carmos (hell).[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]All religions once drew from the same well. Over time, fact blended with fable, legend, myth and the prejudices of each culture, which separated the faiths. No one religion, including the Way of the Calyr, has all the knowledge of God. By studying several faiths, persons may walk their own, unique paths.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]If a person requires coercion, pleading, threats of damnation or persuasion, either to join a religion or to remain a follower, then a true path still awaits discovery. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]When children return home, parents do not inquire by which road they arrived before allowing them entry into their dwelling. Likewise, God rejoices when children, by following a path of goodness, reach Lyesh. The route is of little consequence.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]All who walk in goodness, peacefulness and tolerance will one day dwell in Paradise.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Self-enlightenment is the Way of the Calyr. The Way does not seek to convert or evangelize. It is offered freely, as a gift that may be accepted or cast aside without reproach.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]God has chosen to create a universe filled with religious and cultural diversity. We place our trust in the wisdom of that choice and embrace all faiths grounded in kindness and gentleness of spirit.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Goodness is active; it is not merely enough to refrain from harm. Feed the poor, comfort the desolate, care for animals and pray for peace, measure for measure according to blessings, resources and abilities. Failure to do good is an action in itself, and it leads to Carmos.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The greatest goodness is love, given in a way that frees rather than binds. God created diversity for a purpose. Allow loved ones to find their own path, rather than yours. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Make no ceremonies that bind young children to any faith, but allow them to experience their parents' faith without commitment.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Strive for ever-vigilant kindness and concern for others, whether alike or different from yourself. Seek to expand your family to include all peoples who strive for good, so that you may one day unite your world in kinship.[/FONT]

Last edited:

Freedomelf

I just discovered that the wedding ceremony is too long to post, so I'll break it into a few sections. Thanks
[FONT=&quot]Rite of Embarkation[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Calyr Elves believe that marriage is a journey. When you marry, you choose a partner to share a new path, one that neither would have traveled without the other. Torm Sanhil recorded the following ceremony in 1219 (old era); it was sanctioned by the Calyr church within a century thereafter.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot](The following ceremony is written assuming a cogender (heterosexual) marriage, but a unigender (gay) couple's wedding is performed in the same manner, with wording adjusted to suit the parties involved.)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Part One: The Pre-journey Festivities[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]A month before the journey: [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The groom and bride, called the travelers, each choose a cashran, a close friend who will help with wedding arrangements. Although there is no English equivalent, a cashran is most often referred to as a best man or a matron of honor.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The cashranm (plural) arrange to take each traveler to a spot in the countryside a short distance from their future spouse. Although only a few minutes’ walk apart, the couple must not be close enough to see or hear one another.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The cashranm leave their charges, and the travelers must find each other within a certain period of time. This is not meant to be a difficult task, but rather, symbolic, so cashranm often point their charges in the right direction or mention a landmark in the area, as a hint.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]If the travelers find each other within the allotted time, they walk the same path. If they do not, it bodes ill for the marriage. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]After the couple find each other, they walk to a designated spot where guests await them. Until this point, the guests do not partake of any food, only beverages. When the couple are sighted nearing the party, one of the cashran happily announces that the betrothed have found each other and are on the same path. The guests then cheer or clap.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Feasting begins as the travelers arrive. The banquet and dancing lasts well into the night; many guests bring tents in order to stay in the countryside until morning. [/FONT]

Freedomelf

[FONT=&quot]Part Two: Decision Ceremony[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Three days before the journey begins:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The decision to marry is finalized in a rite that some might mistake for a rehearsal. During this ceremony, the couple commit to sharing the same path. Once this is done, it cannot be undone except by divorce or death. The couple is legally married, although they will not live together until after the public celebration. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot](There is no law that says the couple cannot have lived together before these three days begin. A few couples spend the night at the Prejourney Banquet in the same tent. According to Calyr law, however, they must spend these three days, from the time of commitment to the time of embarkation, completely apart without seeing or speaking to one another.) [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The Decision Ceremony is attended only by the Elfmaiden sister or OE Brother officiating, the couple and the cashranm. Parents and siblings do not normally attend, but may do so if the bride and groom wish it.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The Celebrant performs the short ceremony in a small room at the Bride's Haven, the residence where the bride will stay until the public ceremony. The room holds a small table covered by a white tablecloth, which provides the focal point of the ceremony.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Curtains are drawn and three white candles lit, representing the couple and God (the deity is both singular and plural, but represented by one candle). A bowl of strong dye and a small sponge also rests on the table. Any kind of non-toxic dye, such as food coloring, will do, in any color except blue. Nowadays, Faerlanders substitute small sponge paint brushes for the natural sponge.
The couple stands in front of this table with their cashranm; the brides' cashran stands on the bride's right and the groom's cashran on his left. The Celebrant stands at the opposite side of the table and asks the couple six questions:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Celebrant: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Have you discovered each other on your road? [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Couple:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Yes. [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Celebrant: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Were you on a fork in the road? [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Couple: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]No, we encountered each other on a single path. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
Celebrant: [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Will you travel together and remain at each other’s side? [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Couple: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]We will remain at each other’s side during the journey in this realm, and will dwell together forever in our final destination.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Celebrant: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Do you vow fidelity, for as long as you both walk this mortal path?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Couple: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]We will cleave only to each other, while this mortal life unites our bodies, and will find each other in Lyesh, where eternal life will unite our souls.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Celebrant: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Will you honor each other's eternal bonds as your own?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Couple: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]We will honor all bonds and fulfill all commitments, now and for all time.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] (While an Elf is monogamous and intensely faithful to one living partner, he or she remains married to deceased spouses even after remarrying. The only exception occurs when divorce rends the bonds between parties. A new spouse, therefore, "marries" all deceased partners, regardless of sex. Rather, the person's soul marries all deceased partners. Calyr believe that every mortal, whether heterosexual or homosexual, carries a soul that is both male and female. Once it leaves mortal realms and enters Lyesh, it will reunite, in spirit, with all members of the marriage party. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Doonal dwellers (humans) sometimes experience a culturally-induced homophobic reaction to such a concept. Calyr, on the other hand, accept reincarnation and know that, by sheer odds, they are overwhelmingly likely to have lived as both males and females before they reach Lyesh, and that their souls will encompass all of these experiences. Therefore, the last question asked by the Celebrant speaks to this commitment, to honor all marriage bonds made in the past as well as those that will be made in the future, whether in this realm or in any other mortal realm.)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Declaration of Love[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Each of the betrothed makes a personal declaration. This may be short or long, and may include a love poem or prayer. Once they finish their statements, the couple prays: [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]There is one above all others, with whom I choose to walk.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]He/she is my courage and my strength, when the need for both arises.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]His/her needs are my needs, and my failings are his/her strengths.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]We complement each other, and shall never more be whole alone.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Bless my beloved, oh God, and in the blessing, I am blessed.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Keep him/her safe from all evil, and in the safekeeping I know no fear.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Lead him/her always on the path of goodness, that I may evermore walk with joy,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]In the finding of my true love.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The Celebrant offers the sponge and the dye, and says, "Now you may seal yourselves to each other." [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The groom takes a sponge, dips it into the dye, places the dye on the bride's left wrist and declares, "Though you are parted from me, you are with me always. My seal is upon you, and my heart is within you." [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The bride does the same to the groom's right wrist, and repeats the same words. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The Celebrant ends with, "It is done. Your two paths have merged. Loneliness holds no place inside of you. Your hearts abide within each other. Fear not the separations to come; no outside force can break apart that which we have joined this day."[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]There is nothing said afterward except for minimal salutations, and no farewells except for an embrace between the couple. All the males in the party leave the house without further delay, including the Celebrant if male. The Groom travels directly to the Groom's Haven. It may be his own home or another's, but he will not leave it for the next 3 days. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The couple cannot contact each other until the Day of Embarkation. The bride remains in the Bride’s Haven, and neither the groom nor bride will see or speak with anyone except cashranm and close family members for the next 72 hours.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot](In modern times, the necessity of work often prompts the church to bend this rule. Many Calyr believe that going to work and coming immediately home will not diminish the faithfulness of the pledge.)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]This period symbolizes the trials and separations that lie ahead in the couple's life together. It is a time of reflection, solitude and prayer, and affirms the belief that love is eternal and able to withstand all hardship. Most couples take this commitment very seriously and spend these days in spiritual pursuits.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Either before or during this time, the groom and bride pack special suitcases. Bags do not contain the normal things that one expects, such as clothing or toiletries. Instead, they contain the most important treasures of life, such as trophies, memorabilia and awards. Only those things that the spouses intend to keep for the rest of their lives will find their way into these suitcases. These items represent the past, a past that has molded a spouse into the person who has earned the love of the other. In that context, they are the treasures of both spouses.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]When they return from the wedding ceremony (or the honeymoon, if they take one), the special bags are unpacked together and their treasures revealed. Most couples make it part of their special "first night home" ritual, in order to start their lives with a better understanding of each other.[/FONT]

Freedomelf

[FONT=&quot]Part Three: The Day of Embarkation[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Calyr Elves call the wedding day the Day of Embarkation, when the journey together begins. In ancient times, the ceremony took place outdoors even in the coldest winter. To remain true to this tradition but allow for practicality, Faerlanders often hold the ceremony indoors but leave a window or door open. They shut it after the ceremony, just as the feast begins.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]A large table, called the Wedding Altar, is strewn with gold, orange, red, pink and white flowers. (Blue is rarely seen at weddings except in the sky and water, which are both joyous and sorrowful symbols of the flux of life. However, if a couple wishes to use blue, there are no restrictions against it.) The table is covered by a white or yellow tablecloth and displays two crowns made of laurels or other greenery, a gold or yellow goblet, and a white, yellow or gold pitcher. The table stands at the north end of the celebration area, with room enough for the Celebrant to stand behind it. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Approximately six feet from the midpoint of this table, a line is drawn or taped onto the floor. Sometimes, stones are arranged to form the line. It divides the east side of the celebration area from the west, and travels southward at least ten feet or as long as needed, given the number of guests.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The bride’s family and friends stand on the west side of this line, the groom’s family and friends on the east. The bride enters with her parents or chosen alternates from the west side. She proceeds to the southern edge of the dividing line. The groom does the same from the east, and they meet at the line. Both sets of parents remain at the southern end of the line, with an unobstructed view.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The couple walks northward toward the wedding table, with the bride remaining on the west of the line and the groom on the east. They hold hands but do not disturb the line. A few feet before they reach the wedding table, the line ends. They stand at the table and face the Celebrant, with their backs to the audience. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The bride and groom each take a crown and place it on the other's head. The groom pours water from the pitcher into the goblet and gives it to his bride to drink. She takes a sip, refills the goblet and offers it to the groom. After these gifts have been exchanged, the Celebrant, in a joyous cloak, raises a hand to begin.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The bride places her right hand into the groom's left, and then places her left hand over her heart. The groom places his right hand over his heart. The Celebrant looks to the audience and declares,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]We gather to celebrate a journey that is about to begin. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]We thank God for the gift of feet with which to travel, for the gift of time to pass together, and for the gift of hands to hold our beloved.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Let us always remember that this is their journey. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]We cannot go with them. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]We cannot lengthen or shorten their road. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]We give them no staff to hold. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]They choose the path. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]They hold the staff of abiding love. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]God alone accompanies them. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]God alone will lead their way and carry their lamp. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]When the path becomes a bramble, and pebbles become boulders, let them cling to God and to each other, through all eternity. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The Celebrant asks the couple to show their seals. They bare their wrists, revealing the dye used three days earlier. The Celebrant affirms, "They have shown their seals; we may begin!" He or she asks the couple several questions, which they answer thusly: [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Q[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Have you prepared for the journey? [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]A[/FONT][FONT=&quot] We have prepared. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Q[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Did you take your possessions? [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]A[/FONT][FONT=&quot] We have taken all we wish to keep. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Q[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Will you travel with a burden? [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]A[/FONT][FONT=&quot] We bear no burden that we cannot share. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Q[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Who commends your journey? [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]A[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Our loved ones and clans. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The Celebrant turns to the crowd and asks for proof of this answer, and the crowd says: We commend their journey! The Celebrant then looks back at the couple and continues with the last question:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Q[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Will you abandon this journey? [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]A[/FONT][FONT=&quot] We shall not abandon it, but in utter ruin. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The Celebrant then commands, "Speak the words of your heart to all who can hear."[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The bride or groom (in whatever order they choose) recites a passage, poem, or prayer to honor his or her beloved. The other follows. Afterward, the couple prays the following prayers:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Chant of the Full Heart [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Time of joy, revel in the light[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Time of sorrow, hold fast together[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Time of fear, do not falter[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Time of hate, let love overcome[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Time of peace, breathe in the serenity[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Time of war, draw spears together[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Time of death, it will not separate[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Forever more, we are entwined.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Prayer for a Happy Marriage [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot](Some observers take issue with the line, "this day is ours; tomorrow is God's." The meaning is simple and pure. The day is not "taken" from God. Rather, God has chosen to give it to the couple, to begin their lives together. Tomorrow and forever, they will spend in gratitude for it, as they walk the way of the Calyr.)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The heavens open and fill us with light;[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Our Heavenly Parents witness our vows and our truth;[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]This day is ours, to hold in our hearts;[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Tomorrow is God's, to light our way;[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Give us a strength to fight for each other;[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Give us a love to pour over wounds;[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Give us a hand to hold and to cherish;[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Give us a passion that never diminishes.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Love is the strength[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Love is the hand[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Love is the passion[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Love will abide.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The Celebrant says: [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Let the Unity Ceremony begin![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot](The Unity Ceremony is customary, but optional if family members are not present or do not wish to partake in it.)[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Freedomelf

[FONT=&quot]The Unity Ceremony affirms the newly-created bond between families, as each side agrees to accept the bride or groom as a full member of their clans. According to Calyr tradition, when one marries, they become one with their spouse in the eyes of all kinfolk. The Calyr word for "in-laws" defines the relatives of a spouse. It never includes the spouse, since the spouse is as much a daughter, son, brother or sister as the original family member. Therefore, the Unity Ceremony acknowledges and strengthens these ties.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The bride's family remains on the west side of the line at the start of the Unity Ceremony, the groom's family stands on the east side. At the very south of the line, the groom's parents stand just to the east, the bride's parents just west, separated from each other by only a foot or two.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
The Celebrant calls the groom's mother and father by name, and asks, "Do you take this woman, (name), to be your own daughter, through joy and sorrow, through life and death, for as long as your family exists?"[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Groom's Parents: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]"We take this woman as our daughter, through joy and sorrow, through life and death, for as long as our family exists."[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The Celebrant calls the bride's mother and father by name, and asks, "Do you take this man, (name), to be your own son, through joy and sorrow, through life and death, for as long as your family exists?"[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Bride's Parents: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]"We take this man as our son, through joy and sorrow, through life and death, for as long as our family exists."[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Celebrant:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] (to the family of the groom) "Will you take (bride's name) as your sister, your cousin, your aunt, your niece, your parent and your blood, from this day forward until the end of all things?"[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Groom's Family: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]"We will"[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Celebrant:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] (to the family of the bride) "Will you take (groom) as your brother, your cousin, your uncle, your nephew, your parent and your blood, from this day forward until the end of all things?"[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Bride's Family: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]"We will"[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]If the party is large and there are many clan members present, the Celebrant then asks the following question:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Celebrant:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] (speaking to the groom's clans) Is this woman a (last name of groom) and a (middle name of groom)? [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Clans[/FONT][FONT=&quot], in loud voice: "This woman is a (last name of groom) and a (middle name of groom)![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Celebrant:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] (speaking to the bride's clans) Is this man a (middle name of bride) and a (last name of bride)?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Clans,[/FONT][FONT=&quot] in loud voice: "This man is a (middle name of bride) and a (last name of bride)! [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot](Often, members of a particular clan will try to outshout the other clans, but it is all meant in good fun.)[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Celebrant[/FONT][FONT=&quot]: "I give you leave to begin your journey. May your road be long and pleasant, and may you find blessings in each step."[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The Celebrant gives the couple gold necklaces and rings, which they had previously given to him/her for safekeeping. The bride and groom put the rings and necklaces on each other. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot](In ancient Sulali, the ring was placed on whichever finger fit it best. Rings were usually handed down through generations and never resized.)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]The bride and groom embrace or, in a more modern ceremony, kiss. The Celebrant then comes around the table and hugs both the bride and groom, and then instructs, "Go and join your families!"[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The couple walks down the line quickly, each on the opposite side of their original place. It no longer matters if the line is disturbed. The bride embraces her new mother and father, then turns to her new siblings, cousins, etc. The groom does the same. Afterward, the bride and groom greet their original parents and families. Pre-designated family members obliterate the line. Music and feasting begins, with everyone greeting and hugging the bride and groom and their parents.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]If there should be any dissention in the crowd during the ceremony, it is up to the Celebrant whether or not to continue. He or she alone decides whether the ceremony may be stopped. Please note, however, that the couple is already married, whether or not the ceremony proceeds. Such dissention, therefore, is virtually unknown. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The celebration can be lengthy or short, as the couple chooses. Guests must know in advance whether it will last a couple of hours or overnight, in order to prepare. The attendees may bring tents and take breaks or leave as they choose. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The couple, too, may slip out after a few hours, without people making a fuss over their departure. The party goes on until the cashranm signal an end to the festivities.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Commentary:
Although Calyr Elves consider marriage a journey, they did not take honeymoons or travel far from home right after the wedding. Their first pleasure trip usually took place on their first anniversary. Many Faerlanders have broken with that tradition and have begun to take honeymoons. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Calyr wedding rings of gold or rose gold passed down through families. If widowed, the spouse stored this ring for future generations and wore a platinum or silver one to signify widowhood. Only currently married persons wore gold bands. This tradition, too, waned in popularity as time passed, although it has recently made a comeback.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The wedding ceremony is customizable to suit the partaking couple. Celebrants substitute phrases depending upon the circumstance. For instance, couples in wheel chairs may substitute "wheels with which to travel" rather than "feet." Calyryn plan each detail with the Celebrant in advance, so that the ceremony reflects the uniqueness of the individual journey. So long as variation does not conflict with respectful decorum, such variations are left up to the couple and the Celebrant.[/FONT]