• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Calling all Muslims!

ThisShouldMakeSense

Sorry about the headline, I thought it would be a good attention gabber...
I’m starting this thread as a result of a conversation in another thread.
My question is:
Is the word ‘Allah’ viewed by Muslims as the personal name of God or is it a title, such as Lord? I’d like some clarification on this before I can ask some more questions. I’d prefer if Muslims would answer this, as I’d like it from the source, as it were. Thank you.

Peace

Quran & Sunnah
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]OK, Peace,

Why does God have 99 names ?

Peace be with you.:)
[/font]
[/font]

Peace be with you Michel,

God and the Prophet told us so, they are describing the attributes of God. I call to God by His names and I learn them by heart by the way :)

"He is Allah, the Creator, the Originator, The Fashioner, to Him belong the most beautiful names: whatever is in the heavens and on earth, do declare His praises and glory. And He is the Exalted in Might, The Wise. (Quran 59:24)

"The most beautiful names belong to God: so call on Him by them;..." (7:180)

Peace

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Peace said:

God and the Prophet told us so, they are describing the attributes of God. I call to God by His names and I learn them by heart by the way :)

"He is Allah, the Creator, the Originator, The Fashioner, to Him belong the most beautiful names: whatever is in the heavens and on earth, do declare His praises and glory. And He is the Exalted in Might, The Wise. (Quran 59:24)

Peace
Ah, so each one of his names describe a 'quality' of his ? - That's quite nice. Thanks for explaining.

Peace be with you.:)

ThisShouldMakeSense

Peace said:
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica] [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][/font]

Peace

But is a quality really some one's name? For instance, jesus was called wonderful counselor, but that wasn't actually his name. just as some one might be called wise, isn't actually named wise. likewise, is Allah God's name and all the other's titles?

Peace

Quran & Sunnah
ThisShouldMakeSense said:
But is a quality really some one's name? For instance, jesus was called wonderful counselor, but that wasn't actually his name. just as some one might be called wise, isn't actually named wise. likewise, is Allah God's name and all the other's titles?
Allah is the name of God. it is important to note that "Allah" is the same word that Arabic-speaking Christians and Jews use for God. If you pick up an Arabic Bible, you will see the word "Allah" being used where "God" is used in English. This is because "Allah" is the only word in the Arabic language equivalent to the English word "God" with a capital "G". Additionally, the word "Allah" cannot be made plural or given gender (i.e. masculine or feminine), which goes hand-in-hand with the Islamic concept of God. Because of this, and also because the Qur'an, which is the holy scripture of Muslims, was revealed in the Arabic language, some Muslims use the word "Allah" for "God", even when they are speaking other languages.

Peace

ThisShouldMakeSense

Peace said:
Allah is the name of God. it is important to note that "Allah" is the same word that Arabic-speaking Christians and Jews use for God. If you pick up an Arabic Bible, you will see the word "Allah" being used where "God" is used in English. This is because "Allah" is the only word in the Arabic language equivalent to the English word "God" with a capital "G". Additionally, the word "Allah" cannot be made plural or given gender (i.e. masculine or feminine), which goes hand-in-hand with the Islamic concept of God. Because of this, and also because the Qur'an, which is the holy scripture of Muslims, was revealed in the Arabic language, some Muslims use the word "Allah" for "God", even when they are speaking other languages.

Peace

I see. however, i should clarify. the word 'God' as used by Christians, isn't the name of God, but a title. His name is made up of the letters YHWH. so if i understand you correctly, the word Allah is a direct translation of the word 'God.' That being so, it is not the name of the God of the Jews as their God was YHWH aka Jehovah, Yaweh etc...They may have called him God, (even Allah, as that is what God is called in arabic) just as many other christians do, but his name was and is not Allah as it is logically a title, just as God is. I hope i'm making sense... :)