• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Call to Priesthood

Hey i dont know why but i've been struggling on whether to become a Priest or political activist for the Church. So i just want to take the general take and any advice would be good. Open to all Christians, but preferably Roman Catholics

Jerrell

If you feel God Is calling you, do so. I myself advise you to look deeper. Does God want you to do something greater or diffrent?

God calls some to be rich, and bestow upon some grace.
He calls others to minister, to feed his sheep.
He calls others to pastor, to lead and feed the sheep.
He calls some to teach, to study the word, and divide it rightfully.

What has he called you to do? Let your Heart Guide you. I pray peace for you.

Jerrell

P.S.- If you are stuggling then you are not letting God choose. Cuase if God was choosing Peace would be in the MIst of You. Take this Advice to heart. Sit back and live your life, serve God, and do what his word advises you to do.

1) Go to God in Prayer Many Times a Day
2) Study the offices one can be called to
3) Apply it Biblically, How can i help the kingdom of Jesus
4) Look at yourself, ask What am I best at?
5) Refer to no one, ask no one what you should be
6) In the End God will choose,

Make sure you are not trying to make the choice, let God make it, and he'll choose the Perfect one.

-God Bless.

Todd

Rajun Cajun
Geoffthe3rd said:
Hey i dont know why but i've been struggling on whether to become a Priest or political activist for the Church. So i just want to take the general take and any advice would be good. Open to all Christians, but preferably Roman Catholics

I grew up a Roman Catholic. Well, it's a tough life, that much I know. Priest's or any religious figures are always prodded to make sure that they are perfect or do the right things, when in fact they aren't perfect (no one is). I know my church was in an uproar when our priest was caught drinking at a bar, although to my knowledge consumption is allowed (although maybe he could have picked a better place). Also, if you have any temptation or yearning for someone in a romantic way, then you should not become a priest. I'm sure that's probably a difficult decision for most in deciding to become a Priest. Anyway, I'm sure some others (that are more knowledgeable about this) will chime in there opinion on this. I do have to say that if you are a true servant of Christ, nothing else can be more rewarding than to devote yourself to him for a lifetime.

Pah

Uber all member
My thought is that being a political activist takes you well into the secular world. To me it is close to a contradiction in terms to be a "church activist" The closer you come to activism, the greater the risk of alienation from church principles.

The "need" for activism is also for me, a statement of weakness in the Church and belief in God. Why does the God that moves mountains need defending?

But becoming a religious is the greatest accuation of self-identity and can be a strengthening of faith and closeness to God.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Hey i dont know why but i've been struggling on whether to become a Priest or political activist for the Church.
I will pray for your discernment Geoff... May the Lord show you His will :D

Derrick

Geoffthe3rd said:

I think that choosing to become a Priest is a struggle in itself. It is a hard choice to make, in my view. Sorry, but I don't have any advice. The Lord works in mysterious ways.

evearael

I life of devotion to God and service is certainly worthwhile. It is a difficult path, but a good one.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
A life devoted to God can't be a bad thing in my eyes. Most that decided upon the priesthood took them a while to finally go thru with it. Even some that have gone thru seminary end up backing out. This is certainly going to take several discussions and pondering. Pray about it and talk to qualified people.
Pah said:
The "need" for activism is also for me, a statement of weakness in the Church and belief in God. Why does the God that moves mountains need defending?

I don't understand how this shows weakness?

Scott1

Geoffthe3rd said:
Ummmm.... let me think for a minute.

A PRIEST !!!!!!
A PRIEST !!!!!!
A PRIEST !!!!!!
A PRIEST !!!!!!
A PRIEST !!!!!!
A PRIEST !!!!!!
A PRIEST !!!!!!
A PRIEST !!!!!!
A PRIEST !!!!!!
A PRIEST !!!!!!

.... *ahem*.... I pray God leads you to a life dedicated to serving God as you serve His Church.

Scott

lunamoth

Will to love
I'm not certain but I think that this kind of decision is usually made through a discernment process that will involve your parish priest and several others. I would start there, and if you don't like your parish priest then maybe talk to someone at a another nearby, larger parish.

Also, it's about becoming a monk rather than a priest, but you may want to read T. Mertons' Seven Story Mountain. It's his (overly long) account of his discernment journey.

2 c, and best wishes,
lunamoth

Baerly

Geoffthe3rd said:

According to the bible Christians are priest:

1 Peter 2:9 (King James Version)

9But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light; in love Baerly

Baerly

Geoffthe3rd said:

You sound very sincere to me. If you wish to hear more about what God says in his book, let me know. It is good to hear from somone who is seeking how to serve God.It is getting kinda rare. in love Baerly

RyanDunsSJ

I wrote this in a message to Geoff, but I thought it might be helpful to post here. At issue is really the need for a good process of discernment. This process, usually undertaken with a spiritual director, digs deep into the ways in which God has been working in a person's life. You look at your past and look for ways that you've been touched by grace. You try to know better what has brought you life and enthusiasm, what has "set your heart on fire" and what inclines you with a joyful heart toward the future.

And yet, good discernment is realistic. It takes stock of the person's gifts and talents and looks at the present situation as well as the future to see how one is being called to respond to God's invitation to deeper relationship. The answer seldom (seldom does not mean never ever!) takes time to reveal itself. This process demands prayer and attention, because it really is developing your relationship with the Lord, coming to knoow God better and more fully, and seeing how that draws you into greater depths of service and love.