• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

California Opening the Door to Forcing COVID-Positive Caregivers Back to Work

We Never Know

No Slack
Just wow!! Crazy!

"OAKLAND, Calif. – Healthcare workers across California are expressing shock and anger at the January 8th guidance issued by the California Department of Public Health allowing acute care hospitals, psychiatric hospitals and skilled nursing facilities to bring healthcare workers back to work after they have tested positive for COVID-19 or been directly exposed without any testing or isolation periods.

Caregivers predict that compromising common sense safety requirements for testing and isolation will increase workplace outbreaks and put vulnerable patients at grave risk.

“For healthcare workers on the frontline it is very disappointing to see the State of California cave to employer pressure to bypass common sense safety measures.” said Gabe Montoya, an emergency room technician at Kaiser Medical Center in Downey. “No patient wants to be cared for by someone who has COVID-19 or was just exposed to it. There is testing available at our facilities and we should be able use that testing and test negative before returning to work if we are exposed or have tested positive. Caregivers need to be able to trust that the CDC and the State are putting the safety of patients and healthcare workers first.”

“Hospital workers cannot take much more,” adds Gisela Thomas, a respiratory therapist at Desert Regional Medical Center in Palm Springs. “Rather than compromising workplace safety precautions, we need bolstering from state policy makers. California healthcare workers need paid COVID sick leave to support us when we contract COVID-19 while caring for patients and recognition bonuses to keep people on the job in the face of massive staffing shortages”.

SEIU-United Healthcare Workers West (SEIU-UHW), the union representing 100,000 California Healthcare workers vowed to protest the new guidance. The guidance is not binding on hospital employers who are allowed to maintain stricter precautions such as a requirement for a negative test before a COVID-19 positive or exposed healthcare worker returns to work.

“Our union will fight for safe working conditions for hospital workers who have continuously put their lives on the line during this pandemic,” says Dave Regan, president of SEIU-UHW. “We intend to expose any hospital employer who knowingly puts patients at risk by forcing COVID positive caregivers back to work.”

SEIU-UHW members include frontline workers such as respiratory care practitioners, dietary, environmental services, and nursing staff who live and work throughout California from the Bay Area to Sacramento and Los Angeles to the Central Valley.

Healthcare Workers Decry California Opening the Door to Forcing COVID-Positive Caregivers Back to Work - SEIU UHW

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Absolutely disgusting and a blatant disregard for duty of care.
I understand staff shortages might need drastic measures to compensate.
But this is only going to get vulnerable people hurt or worse.

Watchmen

Premium Member
Serious question: What is the guidance for healthcare workers in California who have a cold? Are they supposed to go to work or stay home?

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
Serious question: What is the guidance for healthcare workers in California who have a cold? Are they supposed to go to work or stay home?
I feel like this is what happens when the government doesn’t provide sick leave. I mean the US is without that mandate, am I correct?
It’s up to the employers and negotiations?
Because why would you go to work if you’re sick unless you’re going to lose money, right?
Especially if you’re working in a hospital or in aged care or anywhere that has very high cleanliness standards

Where I live, even pre COVID healthcare workers were expected to stay home if they so much as had the sniffles. It’s actually much more strict now.
Though that may change for people who are asymptomatic (currently not allowed to work.)
They’re pretty desperate for staff though

Last edited:

We Never Know

No Slack
Absolutely disgusting and a blatant disregard for duty of care.
I understand staff shortages might need drastic measures to compensate.
But this is only going to get vulnerable people hurt or worse.

Its almost as if they want to keep spreading it. There are few covid/vaccine vocal californians here I was hoping they would give their input but none yet.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
Its almost as if they want to keep spreading it. There are few covid/vaccine vocal californians here I was hoping they would give their input but none yet.
I have to agree.

Here they’re proposing that COVID positive people who are asymptomatic be allowed to return to work in the health sector. I think it’s specifically the emergency areas. Aged care, the disability sector and the broader areas of other hospital sectors will not allow this regardless. I think even the janitors have to be tested every day before work.
But I can understand that right now there’s an extremely severe shortage of staff in some states and hundreds if not thousands of hospitalisations occurring at the moment. (A result of people whining that they needed big celebrations for Christmas/New Years and the politicians obliging under pressure. People are so dumb I swear.
Omicron certainly didn’t help matters.)
So it’s like an emergency scenario and they’re just super desperate at the moment. Also obviously it would assume that patients being treated are already experiencing symptoms anyway.
So I can understand that “desperate times calls for desperate measures.”

This just seems utterly lackadaisical for no real reason. Unless it’s not specified in the article?
And I’ve seen what happens when you get complacent. Our health sectors are being overwhelmed right now and well like I said they’re so desperate they’re proposing desperate measures.
Don’t go complacent.

Last edited:

We Never Know

No Slack
I have to agree.

Here they’re proposing that COVID positive people who are asymptomatic be allowed to return to work in the health sector. I think it’s specifically the emergency areas. Aged care, the disability sector and the broader areas of other hospital sectors will not allow this regardless. I think even the janitors have to be tested every day before work.
But I can understand that right now there’s an extremely severe shortage of staff in some states and hundreds if not thousands of hospitalisations occurring at the moment. (A result of people whining that they needed big celebrations for Christmas/New Years and the politicians obliging under pressure. People are so dumb I swear.
Omicron certainly didn’t help matters.)
So it’s like an emergency scenario and they’re just super desperate at the moment. Also obviously it would assume that patients being treated are already experiencing symptoms anyway.
So I can understand that “desperate times calls for desperate measures.”

This just seems utterly lackadaisical for no real reason. Unless it’s not specified in the article?
And I’ve seen what happens when you get complacent. Our health sectors are being overwhelmed right now and well like I said they’re so desperate they’re proposing desperate measures.
Don’t go complacent.

I think its a crazy idea, short handed or not. If they are that short handed they just as well keep non-vaccinated staff working instead of their crazy plan of having people that tested positive work.

When people are asymptomatic, can they spread the virus?
Yes. A lab study suggests that as many as 50% of people who have the disease show no symptoms and are still able to spread the disease.

How long is an asymptomatic carrier shedding the virus?
Most people with COVID-19 can discontinue isolation 10 days after symptom onset. For people with no symptoms of COVID-19, isolation can be discontinued 10 days after the date of their first positive test.

Coronavirus Questions and Answers | Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
I think its a crazy idea, short handed or not. If they are that short handed they just as well keep non-vaccinated staff working instead of their crazy plan of having people that tested positive work.

When people are asymptomatic, can they spread the virus?
Yes. A lab study suggests that as many as 50% of people who have the disease show no symptoms and are still able to spread the disease.

How long is an asymptomatic carrier shedding the virus?
Most people with COVID-19 can discontinue isolation 10 days after symptom onset. For people with no symptoms of COVID-19, isolation can be discontinued 10 days after the date of their first positive test.

Coronavirus Questions and Answers | Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
I agree with you. Don’t get me wrong.

But the hospital sector in some states are just too overwhelmed right now not to at least consider said proposal. I mean in Victoria I think they have less than a third of all ambulances in working condition, due to lack of staff. That’s not good even without people overwhelming the sector. Obviously there will be extra precautions like more PPE, more frequent cleaning protocols, extra distancing for patients with compromised immune systems etc.
Also bear in mind that Australia already has vaccine mandates for health workers by default. So even if they are positive, it’s likely they are triple vaxxed anyway (health care workers are always among the first groups to get vaccines) reducing the chance of transmission.
Like it’s not just a free for all.

But like I said, desperation is causing this. So it’s just an emergency use scenario. As much as I don’t like the idea, I can’t deny that they may need to do so.
They’re proposing a similar solution for food processors due to food shortages. The difference being that all workers will need to provide a negative COVID test every day.

Last edited:

We Never Know

No Slack
I agree with you. Don’t get me wrong.

But the hospital sector in some states are just too overwhelmed right now not to at least consider said proposal. I mean in Victoria I think they have less than a third of all ambulances in working condition, due to lack of staff. That’s not good even without people overwhelming the sector. Obviously there will be extra precautions like more PPE, more frequent cleaning protocols, extra distancing for patients with compromised immune systems etc.
Also bear in mind that Australia already has vaccine mandates for health workers by default. So even if they are positive, it’s likely they are triple vaxxed anyway (health care workers are always among the first groups to get vaccines) reducing the chance of transmission.
Like it’s not just a free for all.

But like I said, desperation is causing this. So it’s just an emergency use scenario. As much as I don’t like the idea, I can’t deny that they may need to do so.
They’re proposing a similar solution for food processors due to food shortages. The difference being that all workers will need to provide a negative COVID test every day.

I hear ya. However if I was in a home or in a hospital, I would rather have someone unvaccinated and negative taking care of me than someone who is vaccinated and positive.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
I hear ya. However if I was in a home or in a hospital, I would rather have someone unvaccinated and negative taking care of me than someone who is vaccinated and positive.
Fair enough.
This is just for emergency services.
Care Homes and Hospitals will not allow any worker who is positive to be with patients. Even under the proposed measures.

We Never Know

No Slack
Oh no this is just for emergency services.
Care Homes and Hospitals will not allow any worker who is positive to be with patients. Even under the proposed measures.

I take this as they will allow them to..

"Healthcare workers across California are expressing shock and anger at the January 8th guidance issued by the California Department of Public Health allowing acute care hospitals, psychiatric hospitals and skilled nursing facilities to bring healthcare workers back to work after they have tested positive for COVID-19 or been directly exposed without any testing or isolation periods"

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
I take this as they will allow them to..

"Healthcare workers across California are expressing shock and anger at the January 8th guidance issued by the California Department of Public Health allowing acute care hospitals, psychiatric hospitals and skilled nursing facilities to bring healthcare workers back to work after they have tested positive for COVID-19 or been directly exposed without any testing or isolation periods"
Yes that’s just disastrous, imo.
No isolation or quarantine or anything? That’s just asking for a spike in cases

Watchmen

Premium Member
I feel like this is what happens when the government doesn’t provide sick leave. I mean the US is without that mandate, am I correct?
It’s up to the employers and negotiations?
Because why would you go to work if you’re sick unless you’re going to lose money, right?
Especially if you’re working in a hospital or in aged care or anywhere that has very high cleanliness standards

Where I live, even pre COVID healthcare workers were expected to stay home if they so much as had the sniffles. It’s actually much more strict now.
Though that may change for people who are asymptomatic (currently not allowed to work.)
They’re pretty desperate for staff though
I know California has paid sick leave. It’s slowly becoming more common across the states.