• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

California church shooting: 1 dead, 5 injured in Orange County

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Greenies were certainly a part of it. They were the front face of the effort, but my understanding is that it was the grocers who initiated and primarily supported the movement. Very stealthily I might add.
Can't say I'm surprised.
But I didn't miss seeing all the bags floating around, that's for sure.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Interesting. I knew when it came into my state that at first it was just individual cities and the small fee went to the city for clean up. Now it is statewide and if one gets a bag the old single use are not longer available and one is charged for a reusable plastic bag which does go to the grocer to pay for the bag:

Single-use plastic bag ban begins Oct. 1 in Washington

The new bags are plenty reusable
, as long as one does not buy a bunch of poorly packaged meat. They are far stronger than the single use ones, many of which did not even last one use for me. I can afford 8 cents if I need one and I do not think that this will be a huge profit item for stores. When an average grocery trip is around $40.00 another 18 cents is not going to make a huge profit difference for the grocer. Maybe, just maybe some grocers thought that they were doing the right thing.
I don't see how it hasn't really caught on because the bags really are tons better. The single-use bags are often half-use or no-use, you have to do something with a collecting stash of them, and why are they there anyways? It's so much easier just to store a few of your own reusable (that will last many, many uses) and bring them with you.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I don't see how it hasn't really caught on because the bags really are tons better. The single-use bags are often half-use or no-use, you have to do something with a collecting stash of them, and why are they there anyways? It's so much easier just to store a few of your own reusable (that will last many, many uses) and bring them with you.
I walk to my grocery store, it is only a half mile and I need the exercise. So each trip to the store is a mile long walk. I do limit what I buy in one trip so sometimes it is two times a day. Heck, who am I trying to fool. Too many times I forget one ingredient and have to take a second trip. I also bought a reusable "fabric" (not really) bag. With the straps that go over the shoulder it does make carrying heavier loads more easy. I did not really start to walk that much until after they started phasing out single use. The few times I did it was often a gamble on whether the bags would make it the full half mile or not.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Suspect Identified in Orange County Church Shooting – NBC Los Angeles

Authorities identified the gunman suspected of opening fire inside an Orange County church, killing one and injuring five, in what investigators described as a politically motived hate incident.

In a tweet Monday morning, the Orange County Sheriff's Department said David Chou was arrested and booked on one felony count of murder and five felony counts of attempted murder. Later Monday, the Orange County District Attorney said Chou will face one count of murder with the use of a gun, special circumstances of "lying in wait," five counts of attempted murder, and four counts of unlawful possession of explosives.

Jail records indicated the suspect was due for a first court appearance on Tuesday. He is being held on $1 million bond.

As for a motive, investigators said Monday that evidence suggests Chou, a Chinese immigrant, held a grievance involving the Taiwanese community. China claims Taiwan is a part of its national territory and has not ruled out force to bring the island under its rule.

Details about the nature of his grievance were not immediately available.

"This was a politically motivated hate incident, a grievance that this individual had between himself and the Taiwanese community," said Orange County Sheriff Don Barnes at a noon news conference. "It is believe the suspect was upset about political tensions between China and Taiwan."

Why the shooter targeted the church is not clear, Barnes said, adding that he might have believed it to be the closest to his home in Las Vegas.

One person was killed and five were injured in the shooting early Sunday afternoon at Geneva Presbyterian Church in the city of Laguna Woods.

The deceased victim was identified Monday at a news conference as Dr. John Cheng, 52. Dr. Cheng is survived by a wife and two children.

"Dr. Cheng is a hero in this incident," Barnes said, adding that he charged the gunman, which allowed other congregants to intervene.

Cheng was shot after confronting the attacker, Barnes said.

The five wounded victims were identified only as four men, ages 66, 92, 82 and 75, and an 86-year-old woman. The conditions of two hospitalized victims were upgraded to good Monday.

The tragedy could have been worse had it not been for the quick actions of people gathered in the church for a lunch that followed a morning service, the sheriff's department said.

“We believe a group of churchgoers detained him, and hogtied his legs with an extension cord, and confiscated at least two weapons from him,” said Orange County Undersheriff Jeff Hallock. “That group of churchgoers displayed what we believe is exceptional heroism and bravery in intervening to stop the suspect. They undoubtedly prevented additional injuries and fatalities.”

Between 30 and 40 people were at the church. It was not immediately clear how many people stepped in to stop the shooter.

The man had earlier walked into the church and appeared to be carrying newspapers. Witnesses say he then began locking the doors, and moments later, the first shots were fired, Councilwoman Peggy Huang, who grew up in the Geneva Presbyterian Church community, said after speaking with witnesses.

Members greeted the man and welcomed him before the violence erupted, the Los Angeles Times reported.

The suspected shooter drove to Orange County on Saturday, Barnes said. He was not a regular attendee of the church and has no known ties with the congregation.

Barnes said the suspect used a chain to lock doors and tried to glue the locks shut. Additional ammunition and Molotov cocktail-like items were found in bags in the church, the sheriff said.

Authorities said the suspect lawfully purchased the firearms in Nevada.

So, he purchased the weapons in Nevada.

“Please keep the leadership of the Taiwanese congregation and Geneva in your prayers as they care for the those traumatized by this shooting,” the presbytery’s Tom Cramer said in a statement on Facebook.

Federal agents from the FBI and Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives responded. The FBI also sent agents to the scene to assist the sheriff.

On its website, Geneva Presbyterian Church describes its mission as “to remember, tell, and live the way of Jesus by being just, kind, and humble.”

“All are welcome here. Really, we mean that! … Geneva aspires to be an inclusive congregation worshipping, learning, connecting, giving and serving together.”

Violence in houses of worship includes the deadliest shooting inside a church -- the 2017 shooting in Sutherland Springs, Texas. A gunman opened fire during a Sunday service at First Baptist Church. More than two dozen people were killed.

In 2015, a shooter fired dozens of rounds during the closing prayer of a 2015 Bible study session at Charleston’s Mother Emanuel AME Church in South Carolina. Nine members of the Black congregation were killed in the racist violence and the shooter became the first person in the U.S. sentenced to death for a federal hate crime. His appeal remains before the Supreme Court.

The Laguna Woods shooting came a day after an 18-year-old man shot and killed 10 people at a supermarket in Buffalo, New York.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Paying for a plastic bag is pretty much standard in the UK now (for shops of any size). One-time use of plastic bags has dropped as a result. We re-use and/or use "lifetime" bags - you know, shopping bags like in the good old days. I know rightwingers love the good old days. Maybe we'll fill up the oceans with plastic and kill the fauna a bit less quickly.
The US isn't the largest plastic polluter. Asia is.

What do you think people do in the US? Drive hundreds of miles to the nearest ocean and throw it in?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Greenies were certainly a part of it. They were the front face of the effort, but my understanding is that it was the grocers who initiated and primarily supported the movement. Very stealthily I might add.
A conspiracy, eh.

Audie

Veteran Member
A conspiracy, eh.

Absolutely. Devious! Imagine a cabal of
those most intimstely involved emphasizing
the public welfare aspect of a serious issue.

Anyone working in the legal indudtry would
immediately intuit the stealthy intent and
rightly condemn the dishonesty of it.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Absolutely. Devious! Imagine a cabal of
those most intimstely involved emphasizing
the public welfare aspect of a serious issue.

Anyone working in the legal indudtry would
immediately intuit the stealthy intent and
rightly condemn the dishonesty of it.
It's the "Grocery Industrial Complex".

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
The US isn't the largest plastic polluter. Asia is.

So what? In case you hadn't noticed, we all live on the same one planet. We all, individually and as nations need to do what we can.

What do you think people do in the US? Drive hundreds of miles to the nearest ocean and throw it in?

I hadn't thought about it, but now that you alert me, yes, I imagine that's exactly what Americans do. There can be no other explanation.

Audie

Veteran Member
So what? In case you hadn't noticed, we all live on the same one planet. We all, individually and as nations need to do what we can.

I hadn't thought about it, but now that you alert me, yes, I imagine that's exactly what Americans do. There can be no other explanation.

Its so much better here in Asia.
I can walk to the beach in less than ten
minutes.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Its so much better here in Asia.
I can walk to the beach in less than ten
minutes.

I can walk to the grocery store in less than ten minutes, where I can squeeze the Charmin, and there's no extra charge for plastic bags.

No beaches around here, but we do have sand and swimming pools.

Audie

Veteran Member
They control all.
You just have to believe.

I wish they would control the rats.

Its being too much, but rats just make
me hysterical.

I let the maid do the shopping. Thats
all kinds of snobby entitled elitest
shameful but i do it anyway.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I wish they would control the rats.

Its being too much, but rats just make
me hysterical.

I let the maid do the shopping. Thats
all kinds of snobby entitled elitest
shameful but i do it anyway.
The maid needs the job.
Tis a virtue to have her work for you.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
True but the influence of living in
America makes me feel uncomfortable
about the whole arrangement.
You're paying too much heed to the rantings of
anti-capitalist commies here. Many of us hire
help to make life easier. (Our cleaning lady quit
to start a yarn store. It's doing well. But we
started cleaning our own house cuz of Covid,
& a lack of desire to break in a new one.)
Paying people to work is good...even if the
commies call it "exploitation".

Last edited: