• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Caitlin Moran's post about Queen Elizabeth II's death prompts strong reaction, with many accusing

danieldemol

Premium Member
'Caitlin Moran's post about Queen Elizabeth II's death prompts strong reaction, with many accusing NRL of double standards'

Source: Ray Hadley pilloried for claiming NRLW star's Queen post is the 'most reprehensible thing' he's seen in rugby league

Considering the number of indigenous deaths caused by the colonisation of Australia i wouldn't exactly expect our indigenous people to fondly remember the royals, and some have accused the NRL of uneven treatment as highlighted by tweets such as this one relayed by the ABC,

''
Elliott Richardson

@ElliottRichard1

·
Follow

Ray Hadley calling Caitlin Moran's post the most reprehensible thing to happen in rugby league is tone deaf. There are men convicted of serious assault and domestic violence still playing in the game. Interesting that Moran is being threatened with a 25% pay cut'

Personally I think Moran's treatment was heavy handed.

Thoughts?

In my opinion

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I couldn't find what she said that caused this furor, although I found a CNN article which said the post "referred to the monarch as a 'dumb dog'."

Caitlin Moran: Australian rugby league player suspended for social media post regarding Queen's death | CNN

I know next to nothing about Australian rugby, so it's hard for me to tell who's on first here. Although in a free society, gotta expect a few people are going to get saucy and may not fall in line with whatever it is they're expected to fall in line with.

The article suggests that there's a double-standard in that male rugby players are given more of a pass in times when they're behavior is much worse (assault, domestic violence). But then again, there might be those who could think that badmouthing the Queen is worse than crimes of violence.

Thoughts?

No idea about NRL penalties in general, but based on other sports I follow, 1 game ban and suspended fine seems pretty unremarkable for this kind of "bringing the game into disrepute" charge (and it is pretty clearly an offence in this regard).

Maybe other players should have been punished more stringently in the past, but taken on its own merits it seems about right.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I don't remember, how many indigenous Australians did Elizabeth II kill? Or was that her ancestors and predecessors? How much guilt do you bear for your ancestor's faults?

Yerda

Veteran Member

Thoughts?
What did she say?

The league said this:

Regardless of any personal views, all players and officials must adhere to the professional standards expected of them and on this occasion, the public comments made by the player have caused damage to the game.

It must have been fairly spicy to have "caused damage to the game".

What did she say?

The league said this:

Regardless of any personal views, all players and officials must adhere to the professional standards expected of them and on this occasion, the public comments made by the player have caused damage to the game.

It must have been fairly spicy to have "caused damage to the game".

The NRL has come down hard on Newcastle NRLW player Caitlin Moran, slapping her with a one-match ban for sharing an Instagram post - just hours after news of the monarch's death broke last Friday - that referred to the Queen as a 'dumb dog' and declared it was a 'good f**king day'.

exchemist

Veteran Member
'Caitlin Moran's post about Queen Elizabeth II's death prompts strong reaction, with many accusing NRL of double standards'

Source: Ray Hadley pilloried for claiming NRLW star's Queen post is the 'most reprehensible thing' he's seen in rugby league

Considering the number of indigenous deaths caused by the colonisation of Australia i wouldn't exactly expect our indigenous people to fondly remember the royals, and some have accused the NRL of uneven treatment as highlighted by tweets such as this one relayed by the ABC,

''
Elliott Richardson

@ElliottRichard1

·
Follow

Ray Hadley calling Caitlin Moran's post the most reprehensible thing to happen in rugby league is tone deaf. There are men convicted of serious assault and domestic violence still playing in the game. Interesting that Moran is being threatened with a 25% pay cut'

Thoughts?

In my opinion
I'm confused. To me, Caitlin Moran is a journalist: Caitlin Moran - Wikipedia

But, not having seen the post in question, I find myself unable to comment.

Yerda

Veteran Member
I'm confused. To me, Caitlin Moran is a journalist: Caitlin Moran - Wikipedia

But, not having seen the post in question, I find myself unable to comment.
That's who I though it was too.

This Caitlin posted that some musician anounced a tour and the "dumb dog" Queen died and that made it a good day. A lot of sportpeople get into trouble if they post controversial opinions on social media so it's not that big a surprise she got a fine.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Well, her comments - and being rather offensive - were much like mine when Thatcher died (Referring to Ding dong the witch is dead) and where I was banned from an American forum for such but where it was openly touted and allowed on British forums. :oops:

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't remember, how many indigenous Australians did Elizabeth II kill? Or was that her ancestors and predecessors? How much guilt do you bear for your ancestor's faults?

It may not necessarily be about ancestry, but there are those who might look unkindly on those who still embrace the symbolism, flags, and/or traditions which might be associated with historical atrocities.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
It may not necessarily be about ancestry, but there are those who might look unkindly on those who still embrace the symbolism, flags, and/or traditions which might be associated with historical atrocities.
Perhaps, but then we must consider the history of the world. Which of our "symbols" -- including the cross, by the way -- has not been associated with historical atrocities?

To me, rather than resent the past, it seems wiser to know it, and to learn from it who we are, who we might be, and how best to get there.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
The NRL has come down hard on Newcastle NRLW player Caitlin Moran, slapping her with a one-match ban for sharing an Instagram post - just hours after news of the monarch's death broke last Friday - that referred to the Queen as a 'dumb dog' and declared it was a 'good f**king day'.
That seems enough to merit some censure.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Perhaps, but then we must consider the history of the world. Which of our "symbols" -- including the cross, by the way -- has not been associated with historical atrocities?

To me, rather than resent the past, it seems wiser to know it, and to learn from it who we are, who we might be, and how best to get there.

I understand what you're saying, and I have mixed views about it myself. It's similar in America where many Americans look upon our own history with some measure of resentment and regret over what was done in the past.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Thoughts?

I'm fine with her comment: "Today’s a good f****** day, uncle Luke announces his tour, and this dumb dog dies, Happy f****** Friday." Apparently, she's aborigine or identifies as such (I assume that's what "indigenous" means in Australia). She expressed herself bluntly and rudely, and paid a small price (Sinead O'Connor and Kathy Griffin expressed their political opinions with similar in-your-face expressions of contempt and saw their careers ruined). I also don't blame the league for damage control.

The Royal Family aren't above reproach.

It's not that they are above reproach, it's that making comments deemed offensive by a significant sector of the population is likely to provoke a response when you work in a profession that is significantly dependent on sponsorship.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
That's who I though it was too.

This Caitlin posted that some musician anounced a tour and the "dumb dog" Queen died and that made it a good day. A lot of sportpeople get into trouble if they post controversial opinions on social media so it's not that big a surprise she got a fine.

It's probably in the contract.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
The Royal Family aren't above reproach.
Perhaps not, but in terms of the treatment of other countries, I think we might remember that the monarchy hasn't had any real political power since William of Orange in 1689. And there really wasn't an Empire at that time.

Yes, you can blame British politicians, Whigs and Tories alike, and their Prime Ministers, but the Kings (and a couple of Queen's) really had little to do with the policies of Britain, or the Empire.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
No idea about NRL penalties in general, but based on other sports I follow, 1 game ban and suspended fine seems pretty unremarkable for this kind of "bringing the game into disrepute" charge (and it is pretty clearly an offence in this regard).

Maybe other players should have been punished more stringently in the past, but taken on its own merits it seems about right.
It’s more so the fine that was called into question, I think. It’s pretty hefty in context, since it’s at least a quarter of her contracted salary for the year. Whereas in the men’s league fines are common, sure, but usually a little more “lenient” overall. Taking into account the salaries of both leagues