• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cain & Able - Who did they marry?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
SoyLeche said:
It's no more a fabrication of mine as yours is your own fabrication. It never mentions "other" people. Why would "other" people care if he killed his brother or not. Other brothers may though....
True, it doesn't... but then, I wasn't quoting it, but you. ;)

SoyLeche said:
I really don't care how people interpret this. I only asked because I don't like it when people say "The Bible says _______" and don't provide a reference for it. There is way too much that people believe the Bible says that it doesn't. That's all. :foryou:
Well, it's a good thing then that I never actually said that. :p

almifkhar

that's cool soy.

the legend that i spoke of is just that, it is not in scripture, but just because it is not in scripture doesn't make it untrue. another legend about cain is this,
cities and those who build and run them are evil because of their murderous father cain. note that is uses the tiltle father for cain. this indeed again refers to a bloodline.

i shared these legends with you because the stroy of cain and abel is not just important in ancient times, it is also important for our modern time, especially if one is a believer in the messiah and antichrist. the bible i have is the new international version, and when i said the bible specifically says.... that is what is writen in my version. the legends i shared with you are ancient/midevil legends that are not to my knoweldge in any bible version.
i can see adam only having 3 children by the age of 130. look how long the cat lived! the old test. has many, many stories about an older brother/younger brother drama, and i think it ties into how cain and able came to be.

we can agree to disagree, its cool, no hard feelings. i just thought i would share this with you anyways to think on.

Fluffy

A fool
Since they really didn't have much of a choice but to marry their sisters (besides possibly some older neices) - I can't immagine that the marriage was either illegal or forbidden by custom, so no, they didn't commit incest.

Does that therefore mean that there is nothing inherently wrong with having sex with your sister (regardless of whether the cultural norm allows us to call it incest) and any moral issue is purely circumstantial?

anders

Fluffy said:
Does that therefore mean that there is nothing inherently wrong with having sex with your sister (regardless of whether the cultural norm allows us to call it incest) and any moral issue is purely circumstantial?
"Wrong" is a cultural thing. Only.

SoyLeche

meh...
Fluffy said:
Personally, I believe that there is something inherently wrong with having sex outside of marriage. If it is acceptable to marry your sister, then I guess having sex with her isn't wrong. I wouldn't do it, but then again I have options avaliable to me that they didn't (i.e. marrying someone who isn't my sister). :)

Fluffy

A fool
"Wrong" is a cultural thing. Only.

Unless you are a Christian and this is a Biblical story.

Personally, I believe that there is something inherently wrong with having sex outside of marriage. If it is acceptable to marry your sister, then I guess having sex with her isn't wrong. I wouldn't do it, but then again I have options avaliable to me that they didn't (i.e. marrying someone who isn't my sister). :)
Was it acceptable for Cain and Abel to marry their sisters? Is it still acceptable today?

SoyLeche

meh...
Fluffy said:
Was it acceptable for Cain and Abel to marry their sisters? Is it still acceptable today?
If they had no other options, it would have to be acceptable if the human race were to continue. Today there are other options, so in most (if not all) cultures it is not acceptable. If something were to happen so that only 2 people were left in the world, and they were brother and sister, I would think it would be acceptable again.

Mystic-als

What happens if the were bored and when their eyes met they fell into eachothers arms and had sex.

Would it be wrong then?
Still siblings and still not married?

SoyLeche

meh...
Mystic-als said:
What happens if the were bored and when their eyes met they fell into eachothers arms and had sex.

Would it be wrong then?
Still siblings and still not married?
I'm not entirely sure I understand what you are asking (who, for example, are "they"?).

However, I personally believe that any sexual relations outside of marriage are wrong - so I think that should answer your question.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member

In Genesis 4:16 it says, "Then Cain went out from the presence of the Lord, and settled in the land of Nod, east of Eden. 17And Cain had relations with his wife and she conceived, and gave birth to Enoch; and he built a city, and called the name of the city Enoch, after the name of his son."
Genesis tells us that Adam and Eve had two sons: Cain and Abel. Cain killed Abel, was exiled by God, and then in
Genesis 4:17 we read that Cain had relations with his wife. Where did Cain get his wife? The answer is simple: Cain married either his sister or a niece.
In
Genesis 5:4 we see that Adam had other sons and daughters.

"This is the book of the generations of Adam. In the day when God created man, He made him in the likeness of God. 2He created them male and female, and He blessed them and named them Man in the day when they were created. 3When Adam had lived one hundred and thirty years, he became the father of a son in his own likeness, according to his image, and named him Seth. 4Then the days of Adam after he became the father of Seth were eight hundred years, and he had other sons and daughters. 5So all the days that Adam lived were nine hundred and thirty years, and he died," (Gen. 5:1-5).
Since Adam lived several hundred years, having lots of children was not a problem. The Genesis account does not tell us about the order of the births nor does it tell us how old they were. By having many children it is certainly possible that there were many women around. This would mean that Cain married either a sister or a niece or some other relation. Of course at this point, the question of inbreeding is raised. But it is not a problem early on in the human race because the genetic line was so pure. Therefore, the prohibition against incest was not proclaimed until much much later (Lev. 18:6-18).

How could that be so?

Mystic-als

Forgive me. I think I was dropped on my head when I was a baby. I have no clue as to what I was refering too. Apologies.

gnostic

The Lost One
In the Talmudic Haggada (found in Sacred Texts, under the title - Legends of the Jews), you will find expansion to the Genesis' story on Cain and Abel.

Legends of the Jews said:
But this was not the only cause of Cain's hatred toward Abel. Partly love for a woman brought about the crime. To ensure the propagation of the human race, a girl, destined to be his wife, was born together with each of the sons of Adam. Abel's twin sister was of exquisite beauty, and Cain desired her. Therefore he was constantly brooding over ways and means of ridding himself of his brother.

So each brother had a twin sister, whom they were supposed to marry, but Cain's desired Abel's twin.

The Book of Jubilees had actually given names to their sisters, but not as twins. ’Âwân who became Cain's wife. Seth married ’Azûrâ. See Cain and Abel.

zombieharlot

Some Kind of Strange
Supposing that it was incest, is it safe to assume that humans now are intellectually inferior to humans in their time?