• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Caffeine is an addictive drug

Spiderman

Veteran Member
If you are addicted to caffeine, you are a drug addict. At what point does caffeine use fall into the category of drug abuse?

I mean, a cup of coffee or soda is not abuse, but still drug use nonetheless. I'd say the quantity of tea that I drink throughout the day is indeed abusing it because I overdo it. I go through more than 10 tea bags a day.

I wonder what percentage of the world are drug addicts when you include the fact that caffeine and nicotine are addictive drugs?

Earthling

David Henson
From the time I was 14 until I was in my 30's I drank a gallon of instant sweetened tea a day. I moved out into the sticks, an hour's drive from town and I was working 6 days a week and I kept forgetting to buy tea, so on Sundays I would get debilitating headaches. I finally quit it and for years drank only ice water.

Now I drink decaffeinated tea, and Ice water. I tried cranberry juice and grapefruit juice which I love, but are pure sugar. Is sugar a drug? Every once in a while I may have a caffeine soda, but I'm not a slave to it. No withdrawals.

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
Everyone is addicted to something. Love, sex, drugs, music, art, literature, etc.

Anything can be unhealthy if not done in moderation. Heck you can even overdose on water for crying out loud. Look up water intoxication!

Me? I am an addict by nature. I have been addicted to a lot of different things. Alchohol and nicotine is my go to nowadays. Though I haven't had a drop of alchohol in about 4 months just do to the fact that I just haven't felt like it. So now if I can just feel that way about cigarettes I might be able to get rid of my 2 worst habits.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
I think the key word here, is addict. As in, can’t do without it.

If you go without something, and your body reacts negatively (like getting a headache, etc.), then that is not good.

I knew a guy, who was a dealer of marijuana, heroine and coke for over 10 years...and he’d tried it all. Many different times. But he never got addicted! Never felt he had to have it. Even LSD.

That was amazing, to me.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
If you are addicted to caffeine, you are a drug addict. At what point does caffeine use fall into the category of drug abuse?

I mean, a cup of coffee or soda is not abuse, but still drug use nonetheless. I'd say the quantity of tea that I drink throughout the day is indeed abusing it because I overdo it. I go through more than 10 tea bags a day.

I wonder what percentage of the world are drug addicts when you include the fact that caffeine and nicotine are addictive drugs?
Coffee. The elixir of the Gods.

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
I would counter that my consumption of coffee is a habit rather than an addiction. An addiction is a habit which has become adverse and compulsive and unless you're taking the drug in its pure form caffeine's potential for this is almost non-existent. Thus I wouldn't class a coffee or tea habit as an addiction.

Last edited:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Dont forget alcohol.

You could ask "is life a drug"?... Its very addictive and it always kills you in the end.

FYI. Weight for weight tea contains more caffeine than coffee. But to brew a tea takes less weight of leaves than beans to make a cup of coffee.

Rational Agnostic

Depends on how you define "addiction." I know that if I stopped my caffeine intake cold turkey, I would probably have mild withdrawal symptoms for a few days, but I could easily stop my consumption if there was any reason to. I just don't see any good reason to stop consuming caffeine.

Milton Platt

Don't forget alcohol.....