• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buying People

julianalexander745

As a spin off to that thread about slavery I encourage discussion regarding the question:

In a legal, regulated, subsidized industry in which human beings can be sold as chattel, what would the price tags be on certain individuals depending on their specific characteristics.

It goes way beyond the sort of stuff that goes into buying a car or a house.

- How would certain racial makeups affect price? Would purebreds be more expensive like dog breeding?

- Would a person's sexual history and performance determine the value of each individual?

- Would quality control be dependent on something similar to the NFL scouting combine?

- Would there be catagories of persons to be placed in? I.e. Sex Slaves, Racers/Fighters/Athletes, Domestic Chore Assistants, Broad Entertainment Slaves

- Would celebrities be exponentially more expensive?

If you could buy one or more people to be your slave(s), who would they be and what would you give up for them?

julianalexander745

Ill pay you a thousand dollars and you can own me if you can show me a purebred human.

Oh you know what I mean.

That's why I brought up dog breeding.

Say someone is interested in finding the most pure blooded Mongolian they can get their hands on. Sure, they won't be technically "purebred" but it would be an effective and sought after marketing tool.

julianalexander745

You sound more like a Christian with every post you make.
Tom

You keep saying this to me. It's starting to feel like that raven Edgar Allan Poe wrote about that kept saying nevermore.

Are you taking a swipe at Christians, a swipe at me or is there some further motive going on?

epronovost

As a spin off to that thread about slavery I encourage discussion regarding the question:

In a legal, regulated, subsidized industry in which human beings can be sold as chattel, what would the price tags be on certain individuals depending on their specific characteristics.

- How would certain racial makeups affect price? Would purebreds be more expensive like dog breeding?

- Would a person's sexual history and performance determine the value of each individual?

- Would quality control be dependent on something similar to the NFL scouting combine?

- Would there be catagories of persons to be placed in? I.e. Sex Slaves, Racers/Fighters/Athletes, Domestic Chore Assistants, Broad Entertainment Slaves

If you could buy one or more people to be your slave(s), who would they be and what would you give up for them?

You know, you can read books on the history of slavery to know how we used to price people. Your interest in the subject, or at least the way you frame it, is morbid.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Oh you know what I mean.
Yes. I do. Thats how I can so confidently place such a wager. Even as "concentrated" as my ancestry is and despite me having the genes to show it, Im not a pure breed even though I have pale/fair skin amd strawberry blomde hair. Because of DNA testing there is just no way to market us as pure.

julianalexander745

Yes. I do. Thats how I can so confidently place such a wager. Even as "concentrated" as my ancestry is and despite me having the genes to show it, Im not a pure breed even though I have pale/fair skin amd strawberry blomde hair. Because of DNA testing there is just no way to market us as pure.

Do you think you would attract less money than a 9th generation swede?

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Can't believe this is turning into something that's worth considering. Overton Window, anyone?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want

Just to think we should buy and sell other human beings are disgusting. Humans do not come with a price tag. Only greedy selfish people think they can own other human beings.
So answer to the second question is: No I would not buy humans because they are not for sale.

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member

Interesting question.

In a legal, regulated, subsidized industry in which human beings can be sold as chattel, what would the price tags be on certain individuals depending on their specific characteristics? - It would depend on culture. Different countries prize different physical attributes. If we're talking mental attributes as well, it would depend on what kind of chattel their masters wanted them to be and what they are for. Are they a status symbol and only to look pretty? A physique like a celebrity would be wanted. He/she will be taught to only speak when spoken to. This would be a huge industry. People born to be slaves and conditioned to serve their masters. A caste system would develop. Slaves and Citizens.

How would certain racial makeups affect price? Would purebreds be more expensive like dog breeding? - Whatever a culture finds attractive will be the highest price. However, there are attributes all humans find attractive. A symmetrical face and full lips. Big hips on women are universally attractive too. "Purebred" people could be more expensive. Mixed people also could. Whatever looks exotic will be bought.

Would a person's sexual history and performance determine the value of each individual? - Sexual virginity is attractive to many people due to the idea that virginity is pure and after a women has been taken her worth is decreased. Performance is also highly regarded as it is believed that better performance = better sex (not guaranteed). Many people want both things, so they will be around the same price.

Would quality control be dependent on something similar to the NFL scouting combine? - Yes. Higher quality = more expensive. And companies that run these slave guilds want more money. I think technology in designer babies would be given much greater funding as it creates a better chance of getting what type of physical attribute slave companies want.

Would there be catagories of persons to be placed in? I.e. Sex Slaves, Racers/Fighters/Athletes, Domestic Chore Assistants, Broad Entertainment Slaves - Oh yes. Most definitely. However, i can't help but see that slave racers/fighters/athletes would garner sympathy from citizens as they are celebrated and cheered by them to win and overcome their opponents. Though since in your world there is a prevalent industry of expendable slaves, citizens would see it as normal and could even see them as less human if the propaganda machine was working right.

Would celebrities be exponentially more expensive? - Celebrity slaves? This is a world where a celebrity worshipped by millions of people is openly a slave? Oh boy. Well, yes they would be highly coveted, being placed high up on the pedestal by many people.

If you could buy one or more people to be your slave(s), who would they be and what would you give up for them? - I can't see myself buying a slave. Ever.