• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buying Happiness

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
money-can-buy-happiness.jpg

If you were given $30,000 and were told to use it to increase your happiness,
What would you do with the money?

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Studies show that money are needed to a certain level and correlate with being content.
Beyond a certain level they do nothing in regards to being content.

As for your question. I would use it to get rid of home loan.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member

Sadly, 99.999% of all horse owners treat their horses badly. Even the best intentioned horse owners are guilty. We teach horse owners to truly treat their horses with respect. I would use the money to improve our farm so that we can continue this work. :)

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member

Pay off some debts. Put some towards paying off the house. Buy a piece of really nice aquarium wood for the dining room fish tank(it looks so bare in there). Buy at least 20 packs of underwear for each kid(I don't know how they go through them all so quick). Buy a new copy of the Mimamsa Sutras of Jaimini because I don't like the one I've got(translation is weird). Keep some in a secret fund so next time there's an expense because someone in the house made a dumb choice, I don't have to worry about it.

Vee

Premium Member

I would invest half and use the remaining for some cause that is important to me... like travelling. It's not the most altruistic cause, but what can I say? I love travelling.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Pay off some debts. Put some towards paying off the house. Buy a piece of really nice aquarium wood for the dining room fish tank(it looks so bare in there). Buy at least 20 packs of underwear for each kid(I don't know how they go through them all so quick). Buy a new copy of the Mimamsa Sutras of Jaimini because I don't like the one I've got(translation is weird). Keep some in a secret fund so next time there's an expense because someone in the house made a dumb choice, I don't have to worry about it.
The last item sounds like a very good plan.....;)

syo

Money belongs to the banks, they should stay there. Unfortunately, people want to use money to interact with other people. :confused:o_O

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Research shows that how the wealthier among us spend their money makes all the difference for their well-being. Specifically, spending money to have experiences, buying time, and giving money away to help others all reliably raise happiness. Thus, if you have a little excess income, it’s best to use it on those three things.
How to Buy Happiness

JDMS

Academic Workhorse
I'd use a few thousand to spend a few months in a foreign country just to observe, learn, and soak in the sights.

I'd use the rest to subsidize my rent budget so I could afford to rent a one-bedroom apartment with working utilities like AC (don't want another heat stroke like I had this summer) until I graduate and find a better paying job and can afford that myself.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Research shows that how the wealthier among us spend their money makes all the difference for their well-being. Specifically, spending money to have experiences, buying time, and giving money away to help others all reliably raise happiness. Thus, if you have a little excess income, it’s best to use it on those three things.
How to Buy Happiness

What is meant by buying time?

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Basically pay someone else to do the things you don't want to do.
Like hire a cook or maid.
Unless you like cooking and cleaning. Some people do.

I like cooking, but a maid would be awesome.

I think I'd need at least 3 to keep up around here.