• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buying an iPhone

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Security updates on my phone are set to expire at the end of the year so I've been shopping around for a good used phone on eBay and Mecari (I always buy used or refurbished and I've had great luck so far).

One downside to buying a phone that's a year old is that that's one year less of updates you're going to receive.

It's a bit irksome to me: shopping around I've found tons of Android phones with much better specs for the same amount of money, but reading up on Android manufacturer's security update policies I've realized that if you're going to use your phone as a wallet, as most of us probably do now, it means you're going to have to buy a new phone every 18 months to every 2 or 3 years depending on the manufacturer (and obviously much less than that if you're going to buy used) if you want to keep your security patches up to date.

Apple, on the other hand, guarantees security updates for 5 to 6 years, so a two-year-old iPhone still makes sense.

So I'm going to bite the bullet and go ahead and buy a phone with a much smaller screen and wimpier specs.

Then again I may pull a frosted mini-wheats commercial (if anybody remembers those) and buy the iPhone for the responsible adult in me (he's in there somewhere) and then turn around and buy a 4-year-old Android with insanely good specs and a monster screen so the little kid in me has something cool to play with. :D

To that end I'm looking at a phone on Mecari that has a 6.4 display (that's practically a tablet) with to-die-for resolution.

Hmmm, wonder if I can claim it as a tax write-off since I'm mostly going to be using it to do volunteer work here in RF.

(And now you all know just how cheap I really am. :D)

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
You buy your phones? That's no cheap. Hubby and i taking turns each to claim the childrens casts offs when then get a new one... Now that's cheap.

My problem is roaming. The EU has free roaming across countries. I.e. a call from spain or france to france or spain costs the same as making a local call in the country you brought the phobe

Because of brexit the uk phone companies are beginning to introduce roaming charges as of this year. Not contact, not pay monthly but you have to pay extra every 8 days if you want to use your British phone abroad.

Thanks brexit, it just keeps on taking