• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buying a camera

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I had a point and shoot digital camera and it is lost. I have never had a good digital camera but I like to take artistically pleasing photos and I might even one day blow some up to frame and hang.

I am mechanically challenged so I would sacrifice some performance for ease of use. I might learn some photography or I might keep taking my chances and expect the camera to do what it is supposed to do.

I need a model that will take good closeup photos.

I expect to pay upwards of $1500, but I do not want to spend that much.

Any suggestions, please?

Flame

Beware
Nikon D7500, you can get around $900. It's fairly easy to pick up and use, shoots great photos and you can always change your lenses.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
oh, what a fun topic :)

How much zoom do you want? Can it be bigger than pocket-sized? Do you want shutter and aperture priority? Low light?

I've had SLRs, my wife has DSLRs and mirrorless. They're great. But personally I find that a top-end camera, with a built in zoom, is a camera I'm much more likely to take with me.

I'm looking at the Sony RX10 iv. I mostly do wildlife and long zoom photos.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
oh, what a fun topic :)

How much zoom do you want? Can it be bigger than pocket-sized?
It need not be lightweight unless I decide on a camping safari which is unlikely. I do not expect to do much air travel either so the weight of it isn't much of a factor, but a good idea, never the less. Thanks! Zoom doesn't matter much either. I am not a bird watcher. I expect a camera much bigger than a pocket-size. I am not a spy.

Do you want shutter and aperture priority? Low light?
I think that these questions are about knowing something. I don't. But I think that shutter speed is for catching action. I might need that. Is aperture for depth of field? I might need that. I mean that I might want that.

I have a bunch of cameras that I have collected from yard-sales. The local photographer says to me, "keep them". And I shall, but they do not do what I need for eBay.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
It need not be lightweight unless I decide on a camping safari which is unlikely. I do not expect to do much air travel either so the weight of it isn't much of a factor, but a good idea, never the less. Thanks! Zoom doesn't matter much either. I am not a bird watcher. I expect a camera much bigger than a pocket-size. I am not a spy.

I think that these questions are about knowing something. I don't. But I think that shutter speed is for catching action. I might need that. Is aperture for depth of field? I might need that. I mean that I might want that.

I have a bunch of cameras that I have collected from yard-sales. The local photographer says to me, "keep them". And I shall, but they do not do what I need for eBay.

You might be surprised how good a camera you can get, that is also small. From everything I've read, the Lumix ZS200 is a really high quality, versatile, small camera. (if anyone is wondering what to get me for the upcoming Solstice, a ZS200 would be awesome! ;) )

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I thought of that first. OK. I might do that. :) Any suggestions? I have never had a smartphone.
I have a fancy camera but almost never use it. My Google Pixel phone does what I want most of the time. The almost best camera on a phone is the Pixel 3a and 3axl and they're relatively cheap.

What I would do if I were you is to look at the images on this web page and read the text ignoring the jargon. It might give you a starting point Smartphones vs cameras: do you still need a DSLR? | TechRadar