• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

But the media says it....

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
You mean at the end of each day one becomes good muslim, Just before sleeping. And next day wake up with the same old identity.

And, which time is chosen to build a good-muslim-society ? The only choice left is.. after sleeping, or before waking. That because, one definitely needs to be a good muslim to build a good muslim society, otherwise the society will go bad.

*Blinks*

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
No you are wrong to say "average non-muslim" thinks this or that because you will never know. This is the anecdotal fallacy. The average non-muslim around me never thinks this. Maybe the average non-muslim around you thinks this. Thats why our social networks influence our reactions so much. Even an educated person like you is making an anecdotal fallacy, though I know you dont intend to, and I say this with all due respect.

I agree.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Many people are influenced by the media as their only source of knowledge. They consider there is no need to actually investigate what is said on their favourite news channel or tabloid newspaper.

I am not surprised your friend knows only what is blasted on the 6 o'clock news. To me it says he decided to cease his education when he left school.
Think Islam gets misrepresented in the media?
Try discussing economics with someone who
gets knowledge from movies. Ugh!

thomas t

non-denominational Christian
I have no intention to go in to yet an other discussion where muslims are riddiculed.
ridiculing anyone wasn't my intention. This is not fair and I'm not doing that.
Unfortunatly yes Christians has often been the target of thode extreme groups, but they do not represent Islam as a whole. And extremists are not supported by the common Muslim.
In the common Muslim states, or in the common states with a Muslim majority... the common Christian suffers from persecution. This is what I perceive as reality.

Here is a report portraying that persecution doesn't have to come from some " extremists" as you put it... but from the very midth of a Muslim society.
"Believers in Mauritania often have to keep their faith completely secret. Ostracism from one’s family and community wouldn’t just mean disgrace – it could mean death, since the extended family is often necessary for survival in Mauritania’s nomadic, communal society."
source: Mauritania is number 24 on the World Watch List 2020

EDITED added quote and link

Last edited:

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
ridiculing anyone wasn't my intention. This is not fair and I'm not doing it.

In the common Muslim states, or the common states with a Muslims majority... the common Christian suffers from persecution. This is what I perceive as reality.
If you felt my comment was directed at you i must apologize to you, that was not my intention.

But yes i do agree Christians has been to often target for extreme muslims and their views. I can asure you my view of christianity is not of negativity

thomas t

non-denominational Christian
I have been to Iraq and Iran and both people are very humble and nice in my view. But as in every corner of the world we find bad people there too.

You say the people are so nice, so humble.
But this thread is about Islam. This is at least what I read in the OP.
Not about the people. The people certainly are very nice.
In Iran, Islam means persecution, persecution and persecution for the Christians, for instance. They can't let the Christians live in peace for some reason.

You say, you found such a nice community within your religion.
But in Iran, however, it's the Islam that prevents the Christians to also live and to also gather finding a nice community themselves, too.
It's just the persecution they experience, nothing else...
This is what the media tell, and I think it's true, unfortunately.
Iran - Open Doors USA

please note I edited my last post

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
There are very few muslims who do terrorism, and even the quran saybit is a wrong action to do. So are they trully following the teaching, or their own misunderstand of the Quran?
If it was only a 'few' there would be no need for multinational coalitions fighting Islamic elements.

Its a lot more than a few.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!
Islam means persecution, persecution and persecution for the Christians, for instance. They can't let the Christians live in peace for some reason.

Try being an atheist, you get it from both sides and Christians are little better than Muslims. In fact i would say Christians are worse in my opinion. No Muslim has ever mocked and ridiculed my disability, no Muslim has tried to kill me (incidentally during a bombing), no Muslim has tried to kill my children and no Muslim has ever raped me.

I only wish i could say the same for christians.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
You say the people are so nice, so humble.
But this thread is about Islam. This is at least what I read in the OP.
Not about the people. The people certainly are very nice.
In Iran, Islam means persecution, persecution and persecution for the Christians, for instance. They can't let the Christians live in peace for some reason.

You say, you found such a nice community within your religion.
But in Iran, however, it's the Islam that prevents the Christians to also live and to also gather finding a nice community themselves, too.
It's just the persecution they experience, nothing else...
This is what the media tell, and I think it's true, unfortunately.
Iran - Open Doors USA

please note I edited my last post
I traveled more then once to Iran and at those times i was not a muslim. I had no problem my self. Not even in contact with iranien government. But i know Iran has done much wrong, i do not hide that.

But to me Islam is right. If you feel hate toward Islam, that is your feelings and i can not stop you from feeling that.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!
it's not a Christian trait to kill and so on.
However, in Iran it's the Islam that's responsible for the persecution, as I see it.

Have you read the bible? Have you learned any history?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I'd be interested in a separate thread (maybe a journal post?) from you detailing more in depth why you have reached this conclusion? No pressure though.
I have been thinking of this my self too @Rival and i understand why people are curioues toward my choice of religioues belief. I do not blame those who see Islam differently then i do.
I will start working on the new thread

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I just feel sorry for the victims. It's my brothers and sisters in faith - I mean the Christian ones.
I am sorry for all the suffering Christians has gone through over the years. And of course killing someone is not a righteroes way to deal with people of any faith or non faith.

Religioues texts has in many ways been used as a shield to do evil deeds. And i do not support such actions at all.
I do support peace in every religion